Please help an old man: Original Forte's or up grade to RF-7 II

cgregory4

I upgrade my system every 10 to 20 years whether I need to or not. ;?) Old 1986 Forte' speakers (oiled walnut with all original drivers in perfect condition -- driven by a little old man (me) since birth -- with Yamaha amp for years. New Rotel pre/pro with Classe' amp. Speaker upgrade as well? I'm familiar with the "Klispch sound." No dealer to listen to the new RF-7 II. My better half for 35 years will insist that the speakers be no more than 4" to 8" from the wall. No other constraints. One-half music and one-half movies via a new Oppo. At 63 this will probably be my last big system change (made necessary by the HDMI revolution). I will make my decision from the response to this quesion on this forum. Thanks and God bless.

• Moderators

Welcome, I would keep the forte's even if could only have them 4''-8'' from the wall.

If there are no other constraints just put some Palladiums there instead, she would love the look, but probably not the price ? [:P]

Dtel -- thanks for the reply. Not RF-7s? Something else Klispch? Yes, the Palladiums would cost me an important body part ;?) -- not that old...yet. However, wasn't there a discontinued 8X speaker with an identical driver arrangement to the Palladiums? Probably $2K to $2.5K is all I might be able to get away with.

My better half for 35 years will insist that the speakers be no more than 4" to 8" from the wall. No other constraints

You are SO "in like Flint"

Bring home a pair of Khorns. When she raises her eyebrow, show her how the back of the speaker is actually touching the wall! [Y]

[6]

Mark -- thanks for the idea. I am emotionally attached to the speakers (no one in my family understands) and if they sound sweeter than they do now, I couldn't ask for more. Could I do it myself, without harming them? I'm an old EE, but the tremors have got me pretty hard.

Mark -- thanks for the idea. I am emotionally attached to the speakers (no one in my family understands) and if they sound sweeter than they do now, I couldn't ask for more. Could I do it myself, without harming them? I'm an old EE, but the tremors have got me pretty hard.

Where are you located? Maybe someone could give you a hand.

Both modifications were extremely easy to do. The only part that was somewhat difficult was removing the tweeter horn through the front of the speaker cabinet - there's not a lot of room to maneuver it out. Installing the new crossover networks was more time consuming than anything. Everything was very straightforward.

I ended up cutting the wires that attached to the old networks from the input terminals. I sold the old networks on eBay and made a little bit on them. I didn't have any reason to hang on to them anymore. Bob does sell individual components that you can replace on the stock networks but I just preferred to have everything be brand new.

I know what you mean about being attached to the speakers. I've had my Forte IIs longer than any other piece of gear listed below. They will no doubt outlast almost everything else I own.

Bob's website is http://www.critesspeakers.com He provides superb step-by-step instructions for each of his products.

Mark -- that is something that I might be able to do. Your comments and the website are really helpful. I could bribe my son to help me with the tricky stuff. Your suggestion seems to be a real alternative. Thank you for your trouble!

CECAA850 -- what a kind gesture, I live in Midand, but love to come to your part of the State, eat red beans and rice, and suck on crawfish heads...naturally washed down with a cold one!

I agree with the above. Keep your Fortes for they are an amazing speaker. With some simple upgrades they will sound fantastic for many years to come.

....and most of us know how hard it is to let go of our gear.

Good luck and good listening.[Y]

Sterling

Since I have Forte's for my 2 channel system and RF-7's (not the RF-7II's) for my home theater system I will give you my 2 cents.

I have listened to the new RF-7II's and liked the sound but they were a little bright on the high end (might have been the SS amps).

For 2 channel I prefer the Forte's but my RF-7's are a close second. For home theater the RF7's are my favorite.

Depending on the condition and location, used Forte's will go for $400-600 tops. For that price you might consider keeping your Forte's for a second 2 channel system and pull the plug on the RF-7II's for your home theater.

Regarding the 8" max distance from the rear wall, the RF-7II's cabinets are much deeper then the Forte's which will make them protrude further into the room. Is you better half ok with this?

Sterling -- thanks for the input, because if I've learned anything on this thread, it's that the '86 Forte' speakers are staying! ;?) I noticed you also replaced your midrange driver. Is this also generally accepted as necessary for the older Forte's?

Southern -- Now, you're taking me into a dangerous place, ;?) Two systems ... hum? Thinking the old Yamaha/Forte' (modified) for music in the office/man-cave, and then the RF-7s with the Classe' for the home theater in the living room?

I'm wishing I could recall the discontinued Klipsch that was two way like the RF-7, but had 3 bass drivers like the Palladium. Were they a "Reference" Klispch?

Sterling -- thanks for the input, because if I've learned anything on this thread, it's that the '86 Forte' speakers are staying! ;?) I noticed you also replaced your midrange driver. Is this also generally accepted as necessary for the older Forte's?

I have not replaced the midrange on my FOrtes yet, or the Xover. But I will soon do that, for I have updated the XO on my Khorns and the result was very nice. I have read that replacing with Mid with Crites is also a very nice mod.

I can only speak from personal experience, but I preferred the stock midrange diaphragm as opposed to Bob's. I do remember reading that speakers with exponential horns (such as your Forte Is) may benefit more from Bob's diaphragms than speakers with tractrix horns (such as Forte IIs).

A few members have changed to Klipsch's K-53 titanium diaphragms from the Heresy III and Cornwall III and all have liked them.

Guest davidness

I haven't spent any time with Forte's, and I own RF-7's. As many will attest, the RF-7's are amazing, and I suspect the RF-7 II are at least as good. One thing to consider, your wife may really appreciate how beautiful the RF-7 II are, especially in that cherry finish.

post-38614-13819636579382_thumb.jpg