How many are watching the attack on union labor in Wisconsin?

elitedemo

I'm watching carefully. I have been a UAW member for 16 years now, and make a decent wage. I'm not going to get into any debate about union vs nonunion. I just want to say that I, too, have had enough of the whole consumerism lifestyle and have started my own scale back. I let my overpriced house go back to the bank and bought a much nicer bank owned home for one third the price. I have cut up all my credit cards. I am working on paying off all debts so I can be free and clear of any financial obligations to anyone else. I fear the day when the last stronghold the working class has (unions) collapses and we become a nation ruled by Corporate Greed, where laborors are considered nothing but an inconvenient necessity, a "lower class" of citizenry. That's my rant and I'm sticking with it!

Really? You let your house go back to the bank?

How about, I failed to pay my debts as I promised to do when I was given money by a lender and I have no integrity.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about, I failed to pay my debts as I promised to do when I was given money by a lender and I have no integrity.

Who says the lender had integrity in this case? There've been plenty of newspaper stories recently about some who didn't, sometimes some really big-name banks.

Or in this case, perhaps he and the bank came to an agreement.

How could he have bought a nicer bank-owned home if it was a simple case of failing to pay debts?

after reading some more of the bill it seems wisconsin would end up closer to foreign workers than any other domestic ones, i dont see having any rights at all, and im very saddened by the fact that ordinary low to middle class citiziens are incapable of seeing this as bad, and to those replying with only politcal rhetoric i am even more disappointed in, the wages with teachers SSnyder and the fact that a few very educated may make 100k have nothing to worry about losing a few grand a year, in fact the other state workers making 30-40k a year are far more impacted with wage reductions, the fact that there are 40,000+ people protesting is about the very potential loss of rights to the Wisconsin worker, and next very likely to be the American worker, this is why i started this thread, not many understand that this isnt all about wages

Adding in the benifit package, public sector workers receive 2x the compensation that a private sector worker receives for the same work.

1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.

2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.

3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

4. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

5. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it...

I peersonally have retired from political arguments on this forum

With that being said- this thread is BS

Lets talk music and gear

IMHO-take this somewhere else

Nice of you to drop in! Even if only to take a leak on the floor!

Oh my... not sure how that should be taken?

Oh my... not sure how that should be taken?

I was reading "Breakfast of Champions" the other night and laughing my arse off at Kilgore Trout. There wasn't a single yellow WalMart smiley face in the whole book! (Oh, that devious Kurt Vonnegut!) I was hoping not to have to depend on WalMart-esque smiley faces today, but I may have been too optimisitic. So, all things considered......Big SmileSleepGeeked I hope that helps!

Well, I suppose somewhat. Following several decades of work in the field of education (and I can retire at the drop of the hat and join you), I'll be honest, this is a hard conflict to understand from us that come from "right to work states."

My one and only post to this thread. This is not a ploitical stance, just the way I see it from MY view point as a worker and employer.

At this age of 18 I went to work for Campbell Soup. Heck, I wanted a job that wasn't 12 hours a day 7 days a week and paid me more than $0.25 an hour. I didn't know what a union was, I just wanted a paycheck

I soon learned that the union was going on strike. Sorry, I had no clue what that was. I had been working about 10-12 hours a day since I was 13 years old and now that I had a job that I could work 5 days a week, I was good. Not so fast, union on strike, I have no paycheck....

I join the military in '73 so I can get a paycheck. One thing led to another and I retire in '96.

I go to work for a company that has a CBA because I needed a job. I had applied for a particular job and was told I had it but WAIT, there is an employee that has been here for x number of years so they get the job. I am told they have no quals, they have no degree, they have no license but they have SENIORITY so I can not have the job. I am offered a mechanic position which I take; I have to eat.

The people there were a bunch of aholes! Why are you working so fast? Slow down! Are you a company spy? Why are you making us look bad? What I did in 8 hours by myself was typically done by two people over two shifts; 8 manhours vs. 32. I could not deal with a bunch of people that felt that they were owed a paycheck just because they had been sucking air 8 hours a day.I quit to find some self respect.

Flash forward 14 years: I am now in management. In the interim I was a federal government employee...talk about (non)working welfare; I was dying of boredom. Pump some oxygen in at the end of the day so we would wake up to go home.

I believe that there was a time that unions were needed for reasons such as safety, health, hours and so on. Now? Not so much. I really wish that I could reward my employees that desire it. I really wish I could fire my employees that deserve it.

I have not been a coal miner that suffered from 'black lung', I doubt that anyone here on this forum has either. Those gentlemen needed protection. God bless them and their families.

Today I think it is criminal that I have to pay someone to do JACK and I cannot fire their a**. Oh, right yes I can, IF I keep hourly logs of their incompetence for many, many years and then spend the money for lawyers.

Yes, I have openings. If you have the experience, the license, can pass a life long background check and want to WORK 40 hours a week get in touch.

Sorry, this touched a nerve. OUT.

Following several decades of work in the field of education (and I can retire at the drop of the hat and join you), I'll be honest, this is a hard conflict to understand from us that come from "right to work states."

Really? Which part is hard for you to understand?

Oh, don't get me wrong.. I understand it. However, there are many that do not. Having an opportunity to experience the union life is "foreign" to many working folks.

My one and only post to this thread. This is not a ploitical stance, just the way I see it from MY view point as a worker and employer.

At this age of 18 I went to work for Campbell Soup. Heck, I wanted a job that wasn't 12 hours a day 7 days a week and paid me more than $0.25 an hour. I didn't know what a union was, I just wanted a paycheck

I soon learned that the union was going on strike. Sorry, I had no clue what that was. I had been working about 10-12 hours a day since I was 13 years old and now that I had a job that I could work 5 days a week, I was good. Not so fast, union on strike, I have no paycheck....

I join the military in '73 so I can get a paycheck. One thing led to another and I retire in '96.

I go to work for a company that has a CBA because I needed a job. I had applied for a particular job and was told I had it but WAIT, there is an employee that has been here for x number of years so they get the job. I am told they have no quals, they have no degree, they have no license but they have SENIORITY so I can not have the job. I am offered a mechanic position which I take; I have to eat.

The people there were a bunch of aholes! Why are you working so fast? Slow down! Are you a company spy? Why are you making us look bad? What I did in 8 hours by myself was typically done by two people over two shifts; 8 manhours vs. 32. I could not deal with a bunch of people that felt that they were owed a paycheck just because they had been sucking air 8 hours a day.I quit to find some self respect.

Flash forward 14 years: I am now in management. In the interim I was a federal government employee...talk about (non)working welfare; I was dying of boredom. Pump some oxygen in at the end of the day so we would wake up to go home.

I believe that there was a time that unions were needed for reasons such as safety, health, hours and so on. Now? Not so much. I really wish that I could reward my employees that desire it. I really wish I could fire my employees that deserve it.

I have not been a coal miner that suffered from 'black lung', I doubt that anyone here on this forum has either. Those gentlemen needed protection. God bless them and their families.

Today I think it is criminal that I have to pay someone to do JACK and I cannot fire their a**. Oh, right yes I can, IF I keep hourly logs of their incompetence for many, many years and then spend the money for lawyers.

Yes, I have openings. If you have the experience, the license, can pass a life long background check and want to WORK 40 hours a week get in touch.

Sorry, this touched a nerve. OUT.

Well spoken... I have a great appreciation for your point of view....

This is the image that is unfair to all unions. In my business as a union electrician, it is either work efficiently or find the end of a very long unemployed list. Believe me, people work in our union. They work hard. They work smart. They work safe. If not, your at the end of a 2 year+ waiting list. Our workers are very motivated and will compete with any non-union contractor, and do it right, on time and under budget. Workers are rewarded by keeping their job. Some may even receive a bonus (up to the individual contractor). Slackers get fired. No free lunch here. The non-union side of our business is a dreadful place with terrible safety issues, low worker moral and low pay with minimal or no benefits. Unfortunately it seems unions won't be missed till they're gone. "Hey remember when we made an honest wage with good benefits?..."

How about, I failed to pay my debts as I promised to do when I was given money by a lender and I have no integrity

Actually, I tried to work with the bank, but they weren't interested. It was better for them to foreclose on me and get their guaranteed FHA money than to try to work out a payment plan. you may call me Mr. no integrity all day long if it makes you more secure in your decision to keep paying for an overinflated mortgage.