McIntosh MC240 shed find

Wardsweb

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm doing research and talking with people that have "been there, done that." It could be a very nice amp. Although not all original when upgraded. Just need to determine how far to go, how original or just make it the best it can be for personal use. Cleaning alone makes it look a lot easier than initially thought.

MC240d.jpg

the common gottcha's on something like this are things like what's wrong with the amp that got it a home in the shed in the first place....maybe tubes....maybe tranny's...maybe circutry. While in the shed, has the humidity caused oxidation on all the socket contacts, the wipers on the potentiometers , switches, etc. How hot was it in that shed...are the caps dried out. If the caps test good for capacitance, do they have any other issues like high ESR's. Has anyone tried to fix it before it went into the shed, and furthur complicated the restoration. Obtain schematics, variac's, etc or better, get an estimate from an experienced Mac restorer if you are not really in it for the fun of doing it your self.

OK.

Been there and done that.

Well been there and had Terry De Wick do that.

Not expensive really; <$400 but it could have been worse.

Seems those bumble bee resistors went bad in some runs of 240's but not in others.

Mine were fine.

The surface rust is (as I bet you have figured out) not reversible with out re-chroming the chassis.

Those big caps are likely ready to be replaced.

The power supply parts will need to be replaced.

Terry is tops in the McIntosh repair field and I highly recommend him.

He will also take the time to help you if you get stuck and need a hand as to what way to turn...

Noah

OK.

Been there and done that.

Well been there and had Terry De Wick do that.

...snip...

Terry is tops in the McIntosh repair field and I highly recommend him.

He will also take the time to help you if you get stuck and need a hand as to what way to turn...

Noah

Yes, I agree that Terry is "the man" when it comes to vintage amps and especially McIntosh. I've already been in contact with him.

So, if you choose to re-chrome it, does anyone sell decals, or some other way to restore the printing? I guess one could find someone to re-screen it (decals might be pretty funky). Or, just leave it blank.

I let out the magic smoke from every amp I work on, not to mention magic flames and they still work when I'm done.

Probably depends on weather you want to listen or look at that beastie will determine what you should do with it. First I'd try some of that Simulachrome I see in the pictures on the chrome. That stuff is great and could very well bring that chrome back . Than, since it spend years in a shed, I'd probably consider popping it in the over for a spell. I think there's a "sticky" on this over at AK . Chances are the xformers are just fine, but some basic testing with a multimeter should show up any gross failures.

Because of the way it was stored, I'd certainly replace every single cap, and well you are at it for a few bucks more I'd swap out all the pots, and replace all the resistors with one watt metalalized. New tubes will cost you much more than all the parts replacements.

I'd be happy to test for you the tubes you do have and you can go from there with biasing or whatever else is needed, then fire it up without the variac.

Hey, what could possibly go wrong?

Hey, what could possibly go wrong?

I'm with you, Marty, but some guys are just sissies. Smart sissies.

I didn't think you could test a transformer with just a multimeter. Can you?