When to use a Variac on Tube Amps.................

Cut-Throat

Good question, but I think you meant to say the shortest period of time. I'd be only guessing, but for a piece of gear that was "to spec" at retirement, you could probably go several years. I'm also guessing you'd like someone more knowlegeable to reply.

I read somewhere that anything 10 years old or older, that has not been used in 30 days, should be brought up initially on a variac.

Good question, but I think you meant to say the shortest period of time. I'd be only guessing, but for a piece of gear that was "to spec" at retirement, you could probably go several years. I'm also guessing you'd like someone more knowlegeable to reply.

I think I meant the Longest period of time. --- IOW - If the tube amp sat idle for 6 months would it be OK to just fire it up,. Or if it sat idle for 1 year would it would be OK to just fire it up. ---- IOW what would be the longest period of time of sitting idle before a Variac would be the recommended procedure.

Now I'm confused. Maybe "longest" is correct. Sorry for my brain farts. I was just taking it to the extreme, thinking, "OK, a million years is the longest time you could let an amp sit idle." Good God, I know what you mean. I need to get therapy from a cunning linguist.[:P]

I will now shut up. [:S][:#]

This is an interesting topic because recently a friend of mine drug out a couple of old Eico hp-50s that hadn't been fired up in 50 years. We put some new tubes in them and took a chance and plugged them in. We let them warm up and checked the voltage on power supply and everything seemed fine. We hooked a cd player direct to the amps into pair of Fortes and WOW ! It's amazing how good these amps sound after sitting dorment for so long.

Gents, what happens is that the capacitors in tube gear eventually dry out. The largest capacitors are in the power supply, and they're usually electrolytic. If they open up and lose their filtering capacity, you get hum. But if they short, you get an overcurrent in the high voltage section. This could fry the rectifier tube, or damage the power transformer. Tubes are replaceable, but transformers can be expensive or worse depending on the rarity of the equipment. If you think your amp needs to be brought up on a variac, it needs to be serviced. Healthy electronics don't need to babied that way. I've used plastic capacitors in lieu of electrolytics in some of my antique radios hoping they'll last longer, but it may be a long time until I find out if it worked. The only piece I own that I regularly bring up with a variac is a 4 tube Japanese AM radio kit with a 100vac primary.

All the time?

All I'm mentioning is if you think the unit has been sitting long enough to warrant being ramped-up on a Variac, then just do it. It ain't gonna hurt anything.

I have no clue and do not own a Variac. - That is why I am asking for a ballpark figure. Then I'll figure out if I should get a Variac or not.

I have no idea if the time frame is 30 days, 6 months, 1 year, 5 years, 10 years etc.................

All I need is a guess.

Afew months ago I had the same question. I have several older amps sitting on shelves, I just got my SC 433 back from Craig, so I asked him what his opinion was on how long between when you used it and you want to use it again. About 6 months. Every 6 months plug it in and bring it up to operating temp, unplug, put back on shelf. Every 6 months. Anything longer I would hook it up to the varjig and bring it up to proper voltage.

Cigarbum

All the time?

All I'm mentioning is if you think the unit has been sitting long enough to warrant being ramped-up on a Variac, then just do it. It ain't gonna hurt anything.

I have no clue and do not own a Variac. - That is why I am asking for a ballpark figure. Then I'll figure out if I should get a Variac or not.

I have no idea if the time frame is 30 days, 6 months, 1 year, 5 years, 10 years etc.................

All I need is a guess.

You have enough tube gear to justify buying one. Just do it...you'll be glad you did and so will those precious triodes of yours.

I'm no expert on the subject, but on my MC30's, I have them hooked up to a variac as a permanent deal. Reason being that those amps are used occasionally - maybe every other weekend - and I'm not a big fan of allowing all that juice to thwack these vintage amps all at once. ESPECIALLY the replacement CE cans, which aren't as thoroughly/well manufactured as the older originals....

Now my VRD/Peach setup I use about 5 times a week. No variac necessary here: VRDs have 5AR4 slow start rectifiers (easy on the output tubes at start) and regular use has me less worried about variac-ing.

So for me, it's mostly about frequency of use, and the added desire to take special care of my vintage gears. I might not even have to do this on my Macs....but again, it's more a "special care to be sure" kind of thing as much as anything else.

If I went months between power ups I would definitely use a variac.

Afew months ago I had the same
question. I have several older amps sitting on shelves, I just got my
SC 433 back from Craig, so I asked him what his opinion was on how long
between when you used it and you want to use it again. About 6 months.
Every 6 months plug it in and bring it up to operating temp, unplug,
put back on shelf. Every 6 months. Anything longer I would hook it up
to the varjig and bring it up to proper voltage.

Cigarbum

Thanks for answering my question!!!!

Good enough for me! - Craig knows his stuff. -- I don't need a Variac then. --- They always get some play inside of 6 months!