Khorns with Sub

johnhart

Has anybody used a sub other than Klipsch with a similar set up?

Yes.

Are your a DIY'fer, or a purchaser...?

Chris

To even make it worth your while you're going to need a sub that has some serious output down low. I personally wouldn't pair up a subwoofer with a 10" driver to speakers that have horn-loaded 15" woofers!

A mega sub from SVS, Hsu, elemental designs or Velodyne would be a good place to start researching.

A mega sub from SVS, Hsu, elemental designs or Velodyne would be a good place to start researching.

I believe that it depends on the answer to my question, above. Direct-radiator subs just don't sound like Khorn bass, even large driver direct radiators, IMHO. (Maybe it's because direct radiating subs put out something like 20-25 dB higher distortion... [:o])

Chris

I heard John's Velodyne DD-18 paired with his Khorns and it sounded amazing.

Have you ever heard time-aligned horn-loaded subs (that go lower than the Khorn bass bin) paired with either Khorns or Jubs? [:^)]

I heard John's Velodyne DD-18 paired with his Khorns and it sounded amazing.

Have you ever heard time-aligned horn-loaded subs (that go lower than the Khorn bass bin) paired with either Khorns or Jubs? Huh?

lets up the ante with "Time aligned Tri-amped Klipschorns and Time aligned Powered Subwoofers"

I listen to time-aligned Jubs and horn-loaded subs every day. [:D] But that wasn't the question, I believe.

The total cost of a pair of horn-loaded subs (DIY) plus two Crown amps (with DSP) to drive them with plenty of power in reserve-- is about $1K (US). They sound pretty much like Jub/Khorn bass bins except they go one octave lower (17 Hz).

You'll only need one sub and one amp if you're only listening to 2-channel (instead of 2-channel + HT), or your room is smaller than ~3000 cubic feet (~85 cubic meters) in volume.

By the way--how much do those high-end Hsu or Velodyne direct radiator subs cost when new?

Chris

I need some advice regarding a sub to match with Khorns (R,L) and heresy as a center.

Here is the sub that I'd recommend (if you want to buy one) if you have a smallish room or 2-channel only. One is enough.

This is what I'd recommend for a larger room or a HT. One is probably enough.

Here is an amp with more than enough power to drive either of them. They are available on ebay for less. There are also other amps that can do well and that don't cost a lot.

Chris

hey cask05, what do you think of this anarchy th build? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1238398&page=17

Well, that is about the smallest TH sub that I've seen. That would work well with Heresies, typical HT speakers (like the Reference and Synergy series) and other "bookshelf-sized" speakers. It looks as if you''d need 2 to 4 of those units to keep up with Khorns. Even with horns, you need a certain amount of driver area. For Khorns - I'm thinking something like 2 to 4 8" TH drivers are needed. The DTS-10 uses two 12" drivers, while the SPUD uses two 8" drivers per cabinet.

I am a fan of tapped horn designs because of their slim profile and small footprint, which allow them to be used in the corners, even with Khorns in the same corners (however, I do recommend false corners for the Khorns in order to get a good seal and to eliminate interactions of the Khorn bass bin with the TH subs' mouths).

THs do have issues over standard horn subs (like the Bill Fitzmaurice designs) in the area of impulse response but I've found that the TH precursor and bounce pulses are separated by more than 20 ms from the main pulse, which means that they don't sound muddy or heavy like reflex or acoustic suspension direct-radiating subs (IMHO) - all due to the precedence effect of human hearing.

Chris

I am using a Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive with my K'horns. Very good match with freq response to well below 20Hz. The Hsus have excellent transient response (fast) that matches very well with the horn bass from the K'horns. Plus, the Quad Drive will "keep up" with the K'horns' output when you get the urge to "turn it up to 11."

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I'd recommend for a larger room or a HT. One is probably enough.

Apparently Danley DTS-10 tapped horn subwoofer kits are available again - for $1075+shipping - through the end of September:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=20190093#post20190093

[:|]

I use a pair of the DTS-10's with three LaScalas up front. I'll say this...what somone thinks sounds killer is only in relation to their experiences. If you haven't heard a pair of these, then you haven't experienced "killer" yet. [:D] Khorns and LaScalas can outpace most any sub I'd ever heard....they do not outpace a pair of these. The Kit is available again, and it's a no brainer at that price point.

Mind you, they are not plug and play. They take a bit of work to get dialed in. A parametric EQ is a requirement, not an option. But if you're willing to do the work, the sonic quality of an entirely horn loaded system is pretty sweet. There's a character to the Danley that very much works with the character of the Khorn/LaScala.

If I hadn't built a Tuba HT this fall, I'd be buying one (or two) DTS-10 kits now. I tried to buy the kit at the end of the summer and it wasn't available, and the assembled version was going for close to 4K$ EACH in Canada.

I'll say this... It's true that direct radiator bass and horn-loaded bass are not the same. I could always tell when my Hsu was crossed over with the KHorns, but integrating the Tube HT is seemless. I can pick 40, 60 or 80 Hz and not hear a difference in sound type. The choice boild down to room response and 60 Hz workd best so far in my room. That may change after I integrate the miniDSP into the system.

Another very happy Khorn/DTS-10 user here. We have one in a small room - 19' x 12' x 7' 3". Use a Behringer EP4000 Amp and DCX 2496 EQ. Will soon be trying the MiniDSP as I'll be using it in our Active Crossover setup, and it will allow a high pass filter at around 11 or 12 Hz.

If you like to dig low and loud and clean this is the sub to mate with your Khorns!

Have Fun.

Rod