I know this area is about "2-channel" audio but what about...

jhoak

One channel audio?

I received the Beatles "Mono" boxed set today. At this point I'm about 3 CDs in and I'm really enjoying what's coming out of my speakers.

For reference I have my Oppo BDP-93's analog outs going to a Grant Fidelity tube buffer then to an Emotiva preamp then to an Emotiva power amp and finally to a pair of Maggie 1.6s.

Over the years I have read several times about some of the members of the Beatles stating that the original "mono" recordings were superior to their later "stereo" mixes. I don't know about the validity of that but the re-mastered "mono" mixes sure sound good.

It's going to be a "Beatles" kind of evening... [:D]

WOW!!! Nice amps. I would still need two of them as most of my music here IS in fact stereo.

I'm poor AND cheap so it's pretty unlikely that I'll be dropping $7K on a pair of amps any time soon. Besides my Emo 2-channel amps is pretty nice at just a bit over 10% the cost of the Aragons.

On the other hand... Just 6 good numbers on the lotto card and... [:P]

I think you will find it true, regarding mono recordings, that even going back to the 1950's, there are some outstanding mono recordings out there. I think it all goes back to the recording techniques used and the engineering skills applied.

I especially like the mono mix of Sgt. Pepper. Listen to A Day in the Life back to back in stereo and mono, entirely different experience. Overall, I much prefer the mono mixes since most of the Beatles stereo mixes are so artificial. Plays perfectly fine through stereo systems.