Informal Poll: Should Cornwall Return?

Actually, I built those risers out of walnut, sheet-steel and sand--they weight about 60 lbs each and the Cornwalls rest of them! Best thing you can do for your Cornwalls. And the risers rest on spikes and cones.

90's tech for a 50's design!

These speakers are made out of walnut lumber core and have mitered edges. The front edges are veneered in walnut, as is the ares on the "return" right in front of the grill cloth. I'll take a better pic and post it tomorrow.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allan,

Well, with that riser set-up, you gotta be one of those "subwoofer?...I don't need no stinkin' subwoofer!!" kinda guys...LOL! I bet you can feel the bass through yer shoes all over the house!!!!...especially if ya got a concrete slab foundation!!!!

Lookin forward to the pics!

I'd love the opportunity to get a second set of CW's to match mine. Please keep us informed as to your progress.

I attached a couple of photos of my pair. They are similar to Allen's. As a matter of fact they are at a refinishing shop being touched up and re-stained as I type. Can't wait to get 'em back!

------------------

2 channel

Klipsch Cornwalls (1978)

Cary CAD 300SEI amp (WE 300B's, various NOS 6SN7's)

Arcam Alpha MCD cd player

Accuphase T-101 Tuner

Sota Sapphire TT

Alphason HR-100 arm

Grado Sonata Cartridge

EAR Phono Stage

HT

Klipsch KG2.5 (front & rear)

Klipsch KV2 (center)

Klipsch SW12 (sub)

Marantz SR7000 receiver

Toshiba DTS DVD

JVC SVHS VCR

Sony Hi8 VCRs>

CJK1026,

Very nice CDBL's. I noticed they are the earlier flush-front models, but with the rectangular logos instead of the "pie-slice" logos on the front. Not many of those were made. It was only a few months between the changeover from the logo(which occured in winter '77-'78) til the time the flush-front decorator Cornwalls changed to the "drop-in" front ones. The heresy made that cabinet construction change earlier than the Cornwall did...at almost the same time as the logo change.

Look at the top rear edge of the left side near the joint...MOST LIKELY you will find an "A" or "AB" stamped in there...it may be overstamped, or have been sanded over some making it light, or maybe puttied up and filled in...if it is that code, then I built them.

There should be a code stamped in BELOW that too...that is who sanded them(but soemtimes those gals sanded my code off and stamped theirs in where mine used to be...bummer!!!) I kinda would like to know what you find there.

BTW...earlier in this posting, I gave relatively detailed instructions on how to make an industrial motorboard for Heresy models...this was also a popular modification for your style of Cornwalls when employees bought them, although the employee had to make the frames because they weren't already being produced for an industrial model as they were for the heresy line. If you ever chose to add this modification you could do so with alot less effort than required for a heresy industrial motorboard because you would NOT have to do all that notching and relieving of the wood to clear the mid-horn-flange when mounting them...also you would NOT have to worry about the placement of the of the holes you have to drill for the wood screws that mount the board to the front of the speaker cabinet, but could instead just kinda "center" them between the t-nuts on the frame, making the frame part of this process alot simpler. Just a thought!!!(they really look great with those motorboards!!!!...and you never have to worry about the woofer gettin punctured)

Being a Cornwall-aholic, I say without any hesitation, YES! bring them back!

I have two pairs, a pair of 1984s and a pair of 1985s.

Without a doubt they out perform many speakers in dynamic range/soundstage/efficiency/clarity/SPL.

I love Klipsch! especially Heritage and Cornwalls are the epitome of Heritage!

Price = $2,799 basic and up, depending on finish...

MY responce is yes,for all the obvious reasons already stated. When my wife first heard the cornwall her first utterance,and i can't remembering her saying any thing like this in relation to speakers before is I like them,meaning the sound. For those who have ample space it would not be a problem,the most common reason given for selling cornwalls are we dont have the room.Would we be looking at A Cornwall(3) , Using the the heritage compolants and emboded into a modern day speaker able to stand in a crowd.But out perform its compition with all of the forementioned quality already stated by others.Due to a tread reacently posted you will find that a move to the chorus will be evident on ebay.,so yes by all means bring back the cornwall only give it the heart of its predesessor and the style to run rampant in the industry .Then klipsch will rule.

Yes!

------------------

2 Channel System:

'78 Khorns w/ALK networks

Welborne Labs Moondog 2A3 amps

AES AE-3 Superpreamp DJH mods

McIntosh MCD 7007 CD

McIntosh MR-78 Tuner

DIYCable Twisted Cross Connects

DIYCable Superlatives (preamp/amp)

DH Labs Silver Pulse interconnects (sources/preamp)

f>

s>

I would LOVE to see the Cornwall brought back. I love the pair I have owned since 1988. Bought them used for $ 650. They are in 98% showroom condition.

HDRBbuilder...Any Information you could share about these wonderful speakers would be greatly appreciated.

They are CWO, serial # 9P237 and 9P238. They were tested / inspected by Gwin Cox and N.W. Bradford. There is a capital letter A in the top right corner of the paper sticker. The only thing stamped on the back edges are the serial #s, USA, and the letter "L". From your previous posts, I assume you did not build these? I have been told they are from 1976. Is this correct?

These have 2 rectangular ports on the bottom. I have seen pics on this bb of cornwalls with 3 rectangular ports. What does this mean, just different year mfg.? If so when did this change?

Thanks in advance for any information you may be able to share .

This message has been edited by Vavoline on 04-28-2002 at 08:49 AM

Vavoline,

I am glad to see you have enjoyed your oiled walnut cornwalls so much over the years.

Although I was working at Klipsch in 1976, I was not yet buillding cabinets. I was a parts builder. In 1977 I was moved up to be a cabinet builder. That was the normal progression for an employee back then. I have no idea when your cornwalls were actually built, since I don't have the key to the serial numbers sequencing, but others who frequent the forum DO have this data. If, indeed, your cornwalls were built in 1976, then the builder code denotes that Lynn Stevenson was the builder("L"). Lynn eventually became the foreman of the cabinet shop in the early 1980's.

As for the "number of ports" issue. It doesn't matter how many there are. Actually, in an ideal situation, there would only have been one opening there...running all the way across. But the cabinets would be structurally weak towards the center of the bottom. The only reason there are dividers in the port is to provide structural support to the bottom. They aren't really "two-port" or "three-port" speakers, but are actually only ONE-PORT speakers with reinforcing struts across the port for cabinet structural integrity. That is all, nothing more. As new router forms were built to replace worn-out ones, and since in discussions with PWK it had been determined that either two or three openings could be used without compromising the desired performance of the speaker (as long as the TOTAL OPENING AREA remained the same), it was up to the fabricator of the router form whether to make it a "two-port" or "three-port" form. Actually, a "three-port" one would be more structurally sound.

I hope this clears up the "two-port vs. three-port" debate, and answers your questions.

P.S. Although I didn't build your cabinets, if they were built after late July of 1976, then I definitely DID rout the fronts out! LOL! Hell, I probably helped cut out the parts and miter them too!

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 04-28-2002 at 10:19 AM

HDBRbuilder,

Thanks for the timely response and the information. The only thing I'm stil;l wondering about is the "A" in the upper right hand corner of the paper sticker. Do you have any idea what this denotes?

"Keep your powder dry and the volume high"

This message has been edited by Vavoline on 04-28-2002 at 11:23 AM

Vavoline..

If you are talking about a tiny letter or two up in corner on label on back, then that is packer(who packed them up in the boxes)...not always found on the cabinets' labels....alot of the packers thought they should get to denote which ones they packed so that if a speaker was returned for something occuring during packing, the packer could be determined...this practice for the packer went in and out of favor while I was there...if it is an "A", for the years 76-83, then I had gone over to help them pack some in order to catch up in that area...and packed yours. Generally the persons who did final assembly did the packing...at first...and later on, the final assemblers were just too busy, so packers were designated/hired.

One must remember that in those days if one department was "caught-up" but another was "falling behind" trying to get orders out, employees who were "caught-up" in their duties were often sent to help "catch-up" in the other departments.

There were even times when one of the gals from final assembly/shipping would be my helper building heresys so we could get them built and ready for sanding...then we would go to sanding and help-out there...so forth and so on...til the speakers were packed and ready to ship. Gwin Cox would have made a great builder, if she had decided to change over to the cabinet shop. She helped me on occassion and was a natural at it...and the view was alot better when she was there, too!! Smile.gif

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

HDBRbuilder,

Thanks again. Man, it sounds like Klipsch must have been a pretty cool place to work as long as you were not allergic to work and were willing to do your part.

I've had jobs that could have been like that, but too many employees had severe allergies to work. I.E. LAZY SOBs. From reading many of your previous posts, it doesn't sound like those types would have been at Klipsch for long. Good for Klipsch!

Thanks again!

This message has been edited by Vavoline on 04-28-2002 at 12:17 PM

1. Yes. Because they are much better than the Heresy. Reissue the Heresy in the 16W X 24D as suggested by DJK and call it Son of Heresy

2. Horizontal horn format if it is reissued as a Cornwall. If reissued with vertical format call it "Son of Heresy" and discontinue the Heresy.

3. Choice of wood styles as in the reference line and to inclued black MDF.

4. I defer to the manufacturer's on this one. Please keep defractions to a minimum.

5. No special opions beyond wood color and cloth choices.

6. Price of the latest Heresy plus extra wood cost.

7. NO.

Attached here is a preliminary picture of the "Son of Heresy" concept.

This message has been edited by cc1091 on 04-28-2002 at 08:49 PM

cc1091,

Thanks for the comments, and as soon as I figure out your suggestions, I will duly note them. Smile.gif

Once again remember that this thread is about re-introducing the Cornwall in cabinet configurations that have existed in production models in the past...NOT in ANY NEW configuration.

NOR...is this thread in anyway directed at the development of a NEW DESIGN of loudspeaker cabinet, which would entail extensive research and development.

The HERITAGE series of Klipsch loudspeakers are called such for a reason...they are the HERITAGE of the company, and of PWK's designs!!!!

As for Klipsch ever dropping the Heresy from the line-up of its Heritage series...that would be PURE FOLLY!!! Now-a-days even moreso than before, the Heresy model is the "bread and butter" speaker of the series. Look at it this way:

Even when I worked there from 1976-1983, for EVERY SINGLE Belle Klipsch model sold, there were at least SIX KLIPSCHORNS sold, at least FIFTEEN CORNWALLS sold, at least THIRTY LASCALAS sold, and finally, at the VERY least THREE-HUNDRED HERESYs sold!!!!!.....and I believe that the ratios would remain about the same today, EXCEPT EVEN MORE HERESYs will be sold!!!!...if for no other reason than their being the smallest of the cabinets!!!!...Not only that, but they are also the least expensive model, the simplest to build, and use the least materials and man-hours by far!!!!

As far as MDF goes...IMHO, MDF is best utilized as trashcan lining!!!

------------------

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 04-28-2002 at 11:26 PM

HDBRbuilder,

Well, here goes my two cents. We classic Klipsch admirers are a dying breed. As far investors or marketers are concerned, I'm afraid they don't really give a rats *** about are experienced and/or self-righteous opinions. We (classic Klipsch gurus) are less than a 1% market. To reintroduce the Cornwalls, it would take a careful strategy to make it a success. They want something that sells and makes money! I hate to say it, but it would have to appeal to the popular Stereophile, Audio review columnists first and then to a whole new generation of listeners rather than us older classic Klipsch admirers. You have to play the media- hyped audiophile market game to make it happen. They could make a limited edition model to appeal to us classic/experienced Klipsch listeners, offering the items or options listed in proposals 1-7. But, the main speaker offered to the mass market (unfamiliar to a Klippch Bulletin board)should and would would probably only offer a model with finish variations. The classic function of the cabinenets and the same horns and drivers should be used (horizontal or vertical squawker would have to be chosen-not both-would create uncertainty in the model if both are offered)Everything should be the same as say the 77-78 model for example, but with a top-knotch crossover materials line-up. Same crossover frequencies, but just better parts here! To make the project fly, send prototype(s) to the Siskel and Ebert of Audio; Stereophile, Sterio Review,Audio magazine etc..If you win them, you win the market! Allow them to hear and offer their two cents (more like 98 cents )to variations you propose. If the project flies with the standard re-release, then offer the Lim. Ed. models to us or whoever offering variabilities 1-7 (special order etc..). Whew!!!!Enuf of my mind, huh!

ChemPharma

Chempharma,

Thanks for yer input.

As for your reference to the "current" demand for a speaker like the Cornwall in the marketplace...you are in alignment with my thinking. I also believe that in today's market dominated by small satellite speakers, the Cornwall would have difficulty holding its own if it is mass-produced for general sales..with all the peripheral expenses in a modern-day large corporate structure adding to its cost

BUT, I also believe that if it could be re-introduced as a licensed product being made with loving attention by people who care in a cottage industry environment nearby the factory, it would be viable. Especially if it was built as before, utilizing the same components as the originals, with upgrades as necessary.

This way, it would not produce problems incurred with commiting a corporate employee base to its production, could be offered as a special order item option, original drivers/components could be utilized, quality control could be monitored, Klipsch could collect a licensing fee, and the cottage industry building them could make a decent living from the production of them. In addition, they could be shipped from the plant, if the cottage industry was nearby, along with its other plant-built models.

For many years Klipsch survived with little advertising...and I am sure that if the company would just include a bit of advertising for the Cornwall in the flyers that include the entire heritage line-up, mentioning that the Cornwall is special order only, that cost could be tacked onto the per unit produced licensing fee.

Either way, among people who talk audio, the best form of advertising is word of mouth...ie., "Wow, those speakers sound great!!...what are they?" "They are Klipsch Cornwalls, but, sadly, haven't been made in awhile...but, just recently they were offered on a limited re-issue built under license nearby to Klipsch and marketed by them. They are also just like these you are listening to!! You may have to wait awhile to get them, but they are worth the wait!"

Just my thoughts on the subject.....

------------------

HDBRbuilder,

OK, I see your angle and think you have a viable plan. I think one could do pretty well offering the Cornwall in a special order cottage industry sense. One will be targeting a specific audience and could meet/balance the supply and demand equation from a singular construction site. This will bypass all of my previous concerns from a mass production to the general public standpoint and the politics associated with that.

Now, this Cornwall will have to be special!! You are already targeting an experienced/non-entry level speaker buyer from near the 30-60 year-old range,

where coming up with the extra bucks isnt as big a deal as is offering the most exceptional/best Cornwall ever! (This is of paramount Importance!-You have to bait us!)Top-knotch cabinets (yes-even hardwood solids where appropriate and audible should be offered as an option!) and parts (litz,cardas wiring, Music Caps,gold plated crossover terminals etc.)must be utilized. Everything making it a reissue of the classic Cornwall will still be original and present, except this edition will be exceptionally refined and crafted. You have to make me salivate, as if it is something I dont have or have never experienced, in order to lure me to jump at a reissue I have already seen and heard.

ChemPharma

This message has been edited by ChemPharma on 04-29-2002 at 02:46 PM

Chempharma,

Of course if the Cornwall were to be re-introduced as a cottage industry-made item, certain upgrades common in today's highest quality speakers (ie., the crossover/wire/terminal contacts/etc.) would be up-graded. And certain special options would be available to the discerning audiophile...at addtional cost, of course.

But the cabinetry and integrity of the design would follow those built before, with of course in the finely-veneered models, matched veneers, etc.

Of course the Decorator birch cabinets would also be available, but I would imagine that the match of them to each other in outer veneers would be much better, providing a more aesthetic appearance.

As for any solid lumber being used anywhere in the cabinet construction, that is just not viable...too many problems in using solids...veneered lumber core panels and plywood are much better for cabinet construction and longetivity....

But...if there was available time certain "not the norm" touches could be provided I am sure.

That is what this entire thread is all about...basically: "If the Cornwall were to be re-introduced maintaining its integrity of design and utilizing same components, what models/versions would you like to see and what options would you want?" Also what upgrades?...providing the integrity of design and functionality are NOT compromised!!

Thanks for your input!! Smile.gif

------------------