SUPPORT YOUR TROOPS - Show Them You Care

Gilbert

That's great Gilbert. It can't be said too often. Thanks for sharing the link.

I've been with Scott, our son who served with the Army in Afghanistan, when he was in uniform in airports and many people thanked him for his service. Although he sometimes seemed embarrassed, I know it means a lot to him, to other soldiers and to those thanking service men and women. I've also observed people thanking him when he wasn't in uniform, after they learned of his service. You can't thank our men and women in the service too often.

The long version http://www.gratitudecampaign.org/index.php?c=pages&m=watch_full_video brings tears to my eyes.

• Moderators

People need to see this.........

Absolutely. My eyes swell-up with tears when I watch it.

Especially if you watch some of the other videos on that first page.

This the last bump from me, I tried, I would have given up but they deserve more.

djk

FWIW, I appreciate the satirical video at the web address above. It's something that deserves to be viewed and discussed.

However, IMHO, this thread is not the best place for such a discussion. The service men and women, for whom appreciation is owed, are not the policy makers. Gratitude for their service ought to be apolitical.

I think that video may be more of an

Allegory is a figurative mode of representation conveying meaning other than the literal. Allegory communicates its message by means of symbolic figures, actions or symbolic...

In the spirit of love the sinner, hate the sin, I will say that the policy makers are all immoral.

I am not without blood on my hands, I work for the military industrial complex.

I'm not going to convert to Jainism anytime soon, but I see the room for improvement.

• Moderators

Almost anything can be considered political BUT this was not political, it was nothing more than Gratitude being shown for the people asked to do a very tough job on there best days at work.

Just simple appreciation for these young people.

I know politics will raise most peoples blood pressure and everyone has an opinion, this was not meant in any way to be political, thanks for trying to do that. [Y]

"I know politics will raise most peoples blood pressure and everyone has an opinion, this was not meant in any way to be political, thanks for trying to do that"

You're welcome, glad to do it.

Someone has to hold our feet to the fire, otherwise what looks like harmless flag-waving overlooks that fact that it has turned into jingoism (even if that is not the express intent).

• Moderators

Someone has to hold our feet to the fire, otherwise what looks like harmless flag-waving overlooks that fact that it has turned into jingoism (even if that is not the express intent).

I agree with the first part but it still has nothing to do with the soldiers doing there job, they go and do what there told.

I don't think it was even " harmless flag-waving" either. it was showing appreciation for the people doing the job.

I have many problems with politics and wars and just about everything else the government does but to me this was about the people with a tough job.

• Moderators

As this will inevitably turn political, I'm afraid this will have to end here. Of course everyone can appreciate the people who put their lives on the line for others, and we should show it in whatever way we can.