Jolida FX Glass tube DAC

Guest David H

Guest David H

I purchased this really great looking tube DAC basiclly sight unseen based on how nice some of the Jolida gear is. I am sorry to say this unit has left a sour taste in my mouth, and I hope no-one else gets stung by this product.

I ordered my DAC on Audiogon from the reseller AUDIOFORCE. I wanted a new warrantable unit in case I have any issues. Excited about trying this new product, I ordered with minimal research.

A few days after the order I recieved an email informing me the DAC would not be ready for 2 weeks, although irritated I waited patiently for my new prize to arrive. Upon arrival I installed the unit only to be dissapoited by a horrible hum, first I thought it was a gound loop, so I tried every combination of tricks to reduce the noise with no resolve.

The next day I called Jolida and spoke to a Jolida rep who was certain it was just a bad tube, so I swaped tubes with known good ones and tested the o/e tubes which were fine. Next I pluged the DAC into a battery operated T-Amp to eliminate the loop possibility altogether, the noise was the same. With this info Jolida offered to send me a replacement unit with a return shipping label, I was ecstatic about the service until several days went by with no tracking info, then a week, after 12 days no DAC, and no tracking info I emailed Jolida. I was astonished to get a reply that said return the DAC. I replied that when I called in I was assured a replacement DAC was on the way and a return label would be included.

Jolida's reply "Ok, sorry for the problem. MA" Since then I have sent Jolida 2 more emails without any replies.

Finally, I was fed up with Jolida's run around so I requested a refund from AudioForce. Here is the reply

To gothover,

I am sorry to hear about the service.As for them I know that they would charge a 20% restocking fee.I have a restocking fee on my website as well.I thought they were going to send you a new DAC.I will contact them tomorrow and see what the holdup is.I will get back with you later in the day.Email me your number so I can call you if I hear anything sooner.Maybe they are waiting to see about this new super mod by Jim Fosgate works before they send it.It will be worth it if thats why ..... It is a big improvement in the performance.Please sit tight on this till I can find out what is the holdup.Believe me you will be better off waiting a couple days for this mod and it is free.

I was once again astonished (A 20% restocking fee to Jolida + Audioforce's restocking fee on a defective product?) Lowsy customer service I think.

Really doesn't matter because I never heard back from AudioForce (not surprised), and certainly nothing from Jolida.

This evening I placed a dispute with PayPal over the transaction, and tomorrow is my last day to leave feedback on Audiogon before my transaction closes.

Please be cautious about purchasing anything from AudioForce, this DAC it is total eye candy but the signal to noise ratio is horiffic.

Dave

Guest David H

Here is a shot of the DAC innerts taked from the Polk forums.

I am not sure you could get the transformer any closed to the gain stage.

post-24405-13819640821722_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

It gets worse. These are the specs posted on Jolida's web site about the DAC. They appear to be a mistake, but the sound I am getting is justified by the specs.

1 watt at 8 Ohms

Ultralinear Class A/B

post-24405-13819640824422_thumb.jpg

85db is not a very good home audio SN, it's probally OK for PA use. I don't understand the 1 watt at ohms buisness???? there's no headphone jack and certainly no speaker out connections.

Guest David H

I had a very good experience with them however, it might show them to be a bit disorganized. I've since sold their 502B as it was VERY scratchy in the volume and I went to seperates.

I love my JD502B, and thought the JD-100A was a fine unit as well, that is why I neglected to research the DAC.

I am confident Jolida will eventually resolve the issues with this product, however do not think I should have to live with a defective piece in the meantime.

Fortunately this DAC is not overly pricey.

Dave

Guest David H

85db is not a very good home audio SN, it's probally OK for PA use. I don't understand the 1 watt at ohms buisness???? there's no headphone jack and certainly no speaker out connections.

I agree, and based on the specs I made a poor choice.

Dave

Jolida is not the company they once were. There a now two companies using the name, Jolda.com and Jolida.net (http://jolida.net/fedcourt.htm) and they are fighting it out in court. Apparently an American company owns the U.S. rights to the Jolida name and has a second factory in China making stuff, and the original Chinese factory is also making Jolida branded gear. I believe your DAC is the "American" Jolida, not the Chinese one. I recently purchased a preamp from the original Chinese Jolida and am very pleased with the quality and service (I dropped and broke the remote, and they only charged me $20, including shipping, for a replacement). As far as I can tell, the Chinese Jolida is still making the gear with the great bang for the buck that made their name in the first place. Apparently the same can't be said for the American Jolida. The two companies also seem to be having a bit of a price war, and the gear on the Chinese site (Jolida.net) is really cheap. My new preamp was a steal!

Guest David H

I

Jolida is not the company they once were. There a now two companies using the name, Jolda.com and Jolida.net (http://jolida.net/fedcourt.htm) and they are fighting it out in court. Apparently an American company owns the U.S. rights to the Jolida name and has a second factory in China making stuff, and the original Chinese factory is also making Jolida branded gear. I believe your DAC is the "American" Jolida, not the Chinese one. I recently purchased a preamp from the original Chinese Jolida and am very pleased with the quality and service (I dropped and broke the remote, and they only charged me $20, including shipping, for a replacement). As far as I can tell, the Chinese Jolida is still making the gear with the great bang for the buck that made their name in the first place. Apparently the same can't be said for the American Jolida. The two companies also seem to be having a bit of a price war, and the gear on the Chinese site (Jolida.net) is really cheap. My new preamp was a steal!

I was unaware of this info, I checked the .net website and have to agree the prices are very good. Thanks for the info.

Dave

Guest David H

Update, I received an email from Jolida late this afternoon offering a refund on the DAC without a restocking fee because it was defective.

Audioforce however is still insisting on a 20% restocking fee for this item.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
Guest David H

Update, well it has been several weeks since I returned the DAC to Jolida, and AudioForce is still holding out om my refund.

Talk about lowsy customer service, I am having to go through Paypal's claim department to get a refund.

I would reccomend using caution before purchasing anything from AudioForce.

Dave

Very sorry to hear what you've been going through.

I just wanted to say that the customer service I received from Jolida out of Maryland was outstanding. [Y]

"AudioForce" sounds like a real pud. [:(]

thanks for the thread GH.

when i started looking for my first tube amp, i was interested in jolida because of the price point. i emailed jolida for more info, dealers, warranty, etc., and was VERY put off by their slow response and snotty attitude.

i wish i still had their email to post. customer ser is everything to me. it really says a lot about a company. my view is that if they'll treat a prospective cust like dirt, they obviously don't want/need my business.

Guest David H

Very sorry to hear what you've been going through.

I just wanted to say that the customer service I received from Jolida out of Maryland was outstanding. Yes

"AudioForce" sounds like a real pud. Sad

I honestly believe the fault actually lies with Audioforce. Jolida stepped up to the plate.

Dave