The VRD twins are alive and well and how I got to this point

USNRET

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice looking, how many wpc is something like that ?

From the NOS Valves web site: 60 watts Ultra Linear/30 watts Triode, if anything like the VRD Stereo version I foolishly parted with, I will only use about 1/2 of 1 watt with the Belles.

Very nice looking, how many wpc is something like that ?

From the NOS Valves web site: 60 watts Ultra Linear/30 watts Triode, if anything like the VRD Stereo version I foolishly parted with, I will only use about 1/2 of 1 watt with the Belles.

Micheal, very nice looking amps ! I will bet the 1/2 watt from the VRD,s is now going to sound like 1 watt.

Thanks for the [Y], it's been a long haul and one frought with self imposed issues that unfortunately I will continue to endure for a while yet.

Back a year or so ago I bought some Emo amps to power my HT and they were really nice.....for HT using an RF-83 / -64 combo. Wow, this is a nice improvement over the AVR! Hey, check this out; since the seperates are so much nicer let's buy a new pre/pro.Did that.

Self, I said to myself since no one else listens, you might get some more bottom end outta those Belles iff'en you were to buy two of them 500 watt Emo mono blocks to go along with the Peach pre. So put the VRD St up for sale to finance the XPA-1s. Let's just say that didn't work out for me. The ground floor hiss was something I could not get over. Yes, I had more bottom but at the levels I listen to the between track and low level listening hiss bugged the crap out of me. End result was I did not improve, I went backwards. Now what to do? Sale the Emos at a loss and get Craig to build me a set of VRD monos, yea that's the ticket.

Ok, now the Emos are gone and I can put a deposit down to order the VRDs. I start talking to Craig about options and such. Self doesn't learn very fast and decided that self should get something a little different than what was offered. Man wouldn't it be great to have the VRDs with a 'color scheme' other than stainless. I work a deal with Craig and get a set of top plates, tranny bells and rear plates sent down and then attempt to get something done. Let's go chrome......local shop says that don't recommend but polishing the stainless would be the way to go; all they need is a BUNCH of money and a couple of months. Next option please.

I read up on powder coating and found that there is some really nice stuff going on. Great! Long story short I was pointed to an outfit that actually does work for the folks I work for. I take a drive and talk with them. I had been thinking about what color choice and had thought something called Benz Blue would be cool. Shop foreman doesn't hink much of this plan due to plating build up with the already laser cut holes in the top plates so we decided on something called Wet Black. I wanted class and tube glow reflection in the dark. So let it be said, so let it be done. How much this going to cost me? Can't tell ya he says. How long to get it done? Well, we are about 6 weeks behind but since we do quite a bit of work for you guys I'll do it myself and be done in a week or so. Good enough, do your thing. Self should have known better.

One week turned into about 9 or 10. They told me no charge since it took forever but I laid out 30 bucks for pizza or beer for the guys. Now I finally get to send the parts back to Craig to start the build. Re-cap, I started the EMO to VRD swap back sometime around what, Nov '10 or so?

Craig gets the powder coated parts and does the build in the time frame he had stated at the beginning. I am sure this whole process threw his schedule off (THANKS Craig).

Now the amps are burning in and due to be sent out in a few days. Great! End of oddessey. Not so fast my thirsty friends. I just recently made a deal to have my Belles refurbished with new veneer work by a forum member so I lose my speakers for 6 weeks or so just about the time the amps arrive.

Oh, did I tell you that while awaiting the amp build I decided to have my rack shelving made out of granite so I took the shelves out to the company to be used as templates. The job was to be completed a week ago and now no one there answers the telephone...ever...............

Moral of this story; you are going to screw up but at least plan ahead to reduce the duration of the pain.

Guest davidness

From that first photo that starts this thread: Are those the standard tube sockets usually used on VRD's, or something "special"?

Guest davidness

if anything like the VRD Stereo version I foolishly parted with

<first teaser>
I may be selling my beautiful Walnut NOSValves VRD Stereo in the coming weeks....
</first teaser>

They are what I have to use now. I originally used US made Cinch brand just like from 60's. I'm now using a ceramic socket top mount socket. Cinch for some reason quit making tube sockets.

Sockets no matter what type require maintenance especially if you roll tons of tubes. Each tube brand seems to have a different diameter pin which stretches the metal contacts within the sockets. Careful retensioning and cleaning is always required no matter what socket is used. With all tube amps this should be done every couple years or when new tubes are installed. If folks are using old NOS tubes new or used they really have to be careful since they almost always have oxidization on the tube pins so cleaning the tube pins before plugging them in to keep the oxidization transfer to a minimum.

Careful retensioning and cleaning is always required no matter what socket is used.

What would be a good method to re-tension the sockets? Last I did this, I used two drapery hook points carefully wedged between outside diameter of contact and wall of socket. Best I could do at the time but I would like to more carefully reform the contact symmetrically rather than perhaps just bending in the top.

Careful retensioning and cleaning is always required no matter what socket is used.

What would be a good method to re-tension the sockets? Last I did this, I used two drapery hook points carefully wedged between outside diameter of contact and wall of socket. Best I could do at the time but I would like to more carefully reform the contact symmetrically rather than perhaps just bending in the top.

That is the basic idea. Just make the metal contact grab the tube pin firmly. A good cleaning every so often with Caig Deoxit and pipe cleaners is a good idea.