RF-7 Round 2

Youthman

• Moderators

I picked up my second pair of RF-7's, this time in black finish. Cosmetically, they are in really great shape. Grills have no tears and ALL grill pegs are intact (very unusual). These look like they were babied and well taken care of. Drivers have no imperfections. One speaker has a blemish on the top from a candle. I'm guessing the hot wax dripped on the top. You can't even see it from a foot or two away.

I have been busy so I haven't had much time to play with them. This go around, I'm going to do the unthinkable...I want to take my RF-83's out from behind the false wall and put the RF-7's in there to see how they compare to the RF-83's in the same location. The last go around, I pulled my RF-83's out into the open next to them to compare to a Maple pair I purchased.

My 12 yr old son will likely get these for his bedroom and we'll sell his CF-2's. Not quite sure they will fit in his room yet. I'll see only after they have spent some quality time in the HT. [;)]

RF-7_001.jpg

RF-7_002.jpg

RF-7_003.jpg

RF-7_004.jpg

RF-7_006.jpg

• Moderators

I like to look at it as 2 pair in the past two years (2010 & 2011) [:P].

The key is to keep the wife happy well before wanting to buy any speakers. I don't even question her when she wants to buy something...cause I know somewhere down the road, I'm going to want some form of new toy.

When I told her I wanted to buy them, all she said was, "You are crazy". I took that as a yes. [:D]

i am jealous of 1. your camera and 2. your excellent lighting. There is no 3rd becaus ei have a pair of rf-7s too :). Ok i lied, 3. your rf-7's have feet. The bottom of mine are scuffd up a bit unfortunately and i kinda dropped it a tiny bit like 2 inches from theground on one side a bit and damaged a corner, they were too heavy and i couldnt hold it anymore!

COngrats, enjoy, let us know!

• Moderators

Thx for the kind words guys.

My first Digital SLR was a Nikon D70. I designed a website for a guy and he gave me his D70. I took great photos but struggled indoors. I later sold it and found a used Nikon D90 and absolutely love it.

I don't know about "excellent lighting". If I just went into the room and point and shoot, the photos wouldn't look nearly as good.

There are three things that I've learned to do to help improve the quality.

1) Set the white balance of the camera using my projection screen. WB tells the camera what white is supposed to look like under those lighting conditions.

2) Use a tripod (in my case a barstool). If the camera moves at all while the shutter stays open, you get blurry images. Since the room is low light even with the lights fully on, the shutter has to stay open for over 1 second so you have to have a tripod while the shutter is open.

3) Use the shutter timer. Again, this helps prevent camera shake since when you push down on the shutter button, you move the camera.

4) Do not use the flash. The only way to do this is to use the three steps above.

they were too heavy and i couldnt hold it anymore!

I understand. I had mine gripped like you wouldn't believe. If they were going down, I was going down with them. [:D]

I should be able to play with them this weekend. Will post some reviews of them. Might even bring my son's CF-2's into the HT to do some 3 way comparison.

im not sure which pair looked nicer but that black is pretty sharp, i dont know if the maple ones 3 months ago count as a full year back but we can call it 2010 and 2011 to make your other half feel better :) id bring the cf2s and definitly compare, theres always a chance they could end up being a smoother 2 channel

i am jealous of 1. your camera and 2. your excellent lighting. There is no 3rd becaus ei have a pair of rf-7s too :). Ok i lied, 3. your rf-7's have feet. The bottom of mine are scuffd up a bit unfortunately and i kinda dropped it a tiny bit like 2 inches from theground on one side a bit and damaged a corner, they were too heavy and i couldnt hold it anymore!

Subxero did u say your rf.'s don't have feet? I purchased 8 new feet from klipsch last week. $6 each.

Subxero did u say your rf.'s don't have feet? I purchased 8 new feet from klipsch last week. $6 each.

How did you go about that? I need 4 for one of my RF-25s.

I picked up my second pair of RF-7's, this time in black finish. Cosmetically, they are in really great shape. Grills have no tears and ALL grill pegs are intact (very unusual). These look like they were babied and well taken care of. Drivers have no imperfections. One speaker has a blemish on the top from a candle. I'm guessing the hot wax dripped on the top. You can't even see it from a foot or two away.

I have been busy so I haven't had much time to play with them. This go around, I'm going to do the unthinkable...I want to take my RF-83's out from behind the false wall and put the RF-7's in there to see how they compare to the RF-83's in the same location. The last go around, I pulled my RF-83's out into the open next to them to compare to a Maple pair I purchased.

My 12 yr old son will likely get these for his bedroom and we'll sell his CF-2's. Not quite sure they will fit in his room yet. I'll see only after they have spent some quality time in the HT. Wink

RF-7_001.jpg

RF-7_002.jpg

RF-7_003.jpg

RF-7_004.jpg

RF-7_006.jpg

The black looks quite stunning, espescially against the red wall!

If I recall, you weren't able to toe in your RF-83s as much as you'd like due to the constraints of your wall. Since the RF-7s aren't as deep, will you be better able to position them, or will the added width negate any gain you may have had? Although the RF-7s look great, from a purely asthetic stand-point, I'd want the 7s behind the wall and the 83s displayed.

I remember seeing a post about your pruchase somewhere else. 6 bux a foot, blarg. I was debating on making some nice speaker stands, something possibly out of black slate to go underneath. Havent decided yet. Plus, ontop of that, my heresy project is eating my money again. I stripped the cabs and gotta buy some wood conditioner and new stain. but thats for another thread.

I should have a good camera, part of my job is taking pictures of buildings. I just really really really dont wanna drop large dime on one for the maount it actually gets used. I do think though that i need a better camera, mines already a solid 5 years old and is a simple PAS olympus.

• Moderators

Sub, check Craigslist for a Nikon D40. You can pick on up with a lens for around $300. Everyone will tell you the lens is the most imporant part of the camera, not the camera body. And for outdoor shots, you don't have to have expensive "Fast Glass" since you have plenty of light to work with.

Corn, I haven't had a chance to swap the RF-83's with the 7's to see if they can toe in more. I too am curious how they sound behind the false wall. Regardless of what I choose, one will not remain in the theater room. My guess is they will be fun to play with and the 7's will be moved to my son's room.

• Moderators

The D90 is nice, I have the one in the middle of the two you have tried the D80. I like it but when the 90 came out they say it is better for low light, less noise at higher ISO. I would like to switch but mine works fine and like everything else something will replace it in a year.

I really liked the center pic you took, at the base looking up. [Y]

• Moderators

Thx dtel. Yeah, the only reason I upgraded from the D70 is it took really crummy photos indoors since I do not have an external flash. I have no desire to upgrade. Probably will keep the D90 till it dies.

I really liked the center pic you took, at the base looking up. Yes

Me too. I was thinking, what would be a different perspective? I actually laid down on the floor with the camera, turned it on it's side, proped it up so it would stay upright and set the usual settings.