Heritage vs Reference II/THX system or do I need to get over it? LOL

THXAUDIO

Ok here is my situation., I have a Heritage / Reference combination system. I have spent a long time to set up my home theater and customize my Klipsch speakers into the room. I would like to know if I should change my system to a complete RF-II, THX Klipsch system or just keep my set-up the way I have it. I love the system I have and it sounds incrediable but I alway wanted to hear a complete set-up of the Klipsch Reference II and THX systems but I have not found any dealers in the Orlando, FL. area with both set-ups to demo. Has anyone that loves and owns the Heritage system set-up, that comes to close to what I have, heard any of the above named systems that can say that the improvement or lack of, a Reference and or THX systems that Klipsch has, would make a difference for me to go to a full system change over? I think I have an audio sickness because I'm always wondering if I have found audio utopia.

Please help if you are or have been a Heritage owner and have heard, not just read about, the difference in the above sound. I know the specs of all the speakers but its the actual hearing of the systems (I know everyone ears are different) that I have not been able to do.Should I get over it and realize I have found audio Utopia with what I have or should I take the plunge for a different system? I may be just bored because I want to change something even though I may not need to...Its an AUDIO thing, LOL

BTW size of speakers and placement is no object here.

(I mostly listen to music and dvd concerts but watch movies as well but music is the main listening preference)Custom Home theater

Thanks for any help or advice.

My sytem:

Klipschorns for front right and left

Belle for center channel speaker

2 Reference RS-25 for front Heigth and Front wide

6 KPT 8001 for two R and L sides and R and L rear

Velodyne ULD 15 Subwoofer

Denon AVR-4311

post-26264-1381964157331_thumb.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I qualify to post here! :) Finally, I qualify for something....

I had an RF62 system, part of the THX system (three KL650's for the front) and now an almost complete Heritage system (three LaScala, rear Heresies and RS62 sides). The RF system was with a Velodyne sub, but the THX and Heritage have been with a pair of Danley DTS10 tapped horn subs.

I'll write more when I have more time, but I'll post a quick summary first.

The THX line was a significant improvement over the RF's for my ears. Louder, cleaner, softer, more dynamic. However, my room is large at 5000cf and my listening preferences are for Reference level volumes in that space. The THX line is designed to provide that in a space up to 3000cf. So I was asking too much of them.

That led me to the current system of LaScala and Heresy (very similar to the sound and capability of your system). I will NOT BE GOING BACK! The big Heritage have a way of filling a space that neither of the other two could. They just sound bigger and more effortless. In fact, I've heard many, many rooms, and there are few systems of any price point that I would trade my current one in for. If any.

What size is your room? I would suggest that your sub is the weak link in your system. Your system paired with multiple heavy hitting subs will leave you speachless. :) The Danley are one option of many. They are a bargain in kit form until September.

All that being said, I have a respect for the THX line and think I would have preferred it had my room been on the small side.

It's fine to be bored and want a change. Even from an awesome system like yours. But the only way to improve is to move up the line to Jubillee.

How about room treatments? Do you have a well treated room? That made an large impact for me as well.

I had an RF62 system, part of the THX system (three KL650's for the front) and now an almost complete Heritage system (three LaScala, rear Heresies and RS62 sides). The RF system was with a Velodyne sub, but the THX and Heritage have been with a pair of Danley DTS10 tapped horn subs.

Basically you're comparing a middle of the road Reference system with a Velo sub to an upper Heritage line with Danley. Hardly a fair fight. You'd be surprised how well the Reference 7's compare to the larger Heritage models (especially with the same sub in both systems[;)]).

EDIT, I guess I don't understand what you had after re-reading. An RF-62 system or a THX system?

Basically you're comparing a middle of the road Reference system with a Velo sub to an upper Heritage line with Danley. Hardly a fair fight. You'd be surprised how well the Reference 7's compare to the larger Heritage models (especially with the same sub in both systemsWink).

EDIT, I guess I don't understand what you had after re-reading. An RF-62 system or a THX system?

I won't let trag toot his own horn. Read this thread if you want to know the exhausting measures he went to to develop his system. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=876791

I had both. And it is comparing Apples to Oranges. But that's the point of his question.

You're right, the RF62 was middle of the road Reference. Honestly though, how many on this forum would trade in a pair of Klipschorns with a Belle center for a trio of RF7? Not me.

You're also right that the subs make up a large part of the system performance. Thus my suggestion for him to make changes in his subs.

Honestly though, how many on this forum would trade in a pair of Klipschorns with a Belle center for a trio of RF7? Not me.

Depending on the room, I would and I've heard them both.

You're also right that the subs make up a large part of the system performance. Thus my suggestion for him to make changes in his subs.

We're in total agreement there[Y].

I'll buy that. From his photo, it appears he has a good application for Khorns.

Mustang Guy, thanks for the vote of confidence. There's two ways to look at that thread. One is to see a more educated individual at the end....but I sometimes look at it as an exposure of all my goof ups and the circus that is putting a room together! [:S]

If I may, your room appears to be narrow for Klipschorns, putting the sweet spot likely too close to the screen. That would be the only thing that would make me consider something else, and then I'd go Jubilee intead. ;-)

Nice setup in a beautiful room.

your room appears to be narrow for Klipschorns, putting the sweet spot likely too close to the screen.

I would have to agree with this. It does appear that the sweet spot is just in front of your screen.

As far as gear goes, it is very difficult to beat your setup for HT and music. Are you using any outboard amps with your Denon receiver? It is also nice how your room is designed and built to match the Heritage speakers.

We are somewhat neighbors. Welcome aboard.

Bill

Basically you're comparing a middle of the road Reference system with a Velo sub to an upper Heritage line with Danley. Hardly a fair fight. You'd be surprised how well the Reference 7's compare to the larger Heritage models (especially with the same sub in both systemsWink).

Very good point the rf-62 system isn’t going to be good for a big room at reference levels. But that room looks great if you’re happy with the sound I wouldn’t change anything unless you have a better spot for the khorns in a different room for a 2 channel set up. But For ht the rf-7 imo (new ones for sure) will outperform khorns. But I wouldn’t gut that set up if you don’t have other plans for the khorns.

Welcome, THXAudio!!

That's a fabulous system you have. I have owned nearly every Klipsch speaker made since the early 1970's (used to be a dealer). Until a few years ago, my theater system consisted of K-Horns for L&R, LaScala center, and both Cornwalls and Heresys for side and rear. Then . . . .

I heard Jubilees. I ordered a pair of Jubilees. I compared my new Jubilees to my K-horns in my media room of 15+ years.

The K-Horns were immediately sold to a friend of mine and a 402 horn and driver were ordered to top a LaScala bass bin for center channel. A KPT-884 was added for effortless deep bass.

The difference was/is stunning.

Your KPT-8001's are great for side/rear.

IMHO, the next step up for you is Jubilees and a 402/K69 HF assembly on top of your Belle LF for center. You will be amazed.

Not familar with the THX. I have tried lots of speakers in the reference line- RC 64- Rf 83s- all of the Ref top of the line bookshelfs for sides and rears. Attempted to mix the k horns with some reference stuff for superior 2 ch and HT. Could not get it to work. Horn mismatch. I have gone to modded heritage K horns- fronts- lascala center= Modded belles for side surrounds- industrial lascallas for rears- The lascallas will be moded in a similar manner as the others. This setup with 2" horms on the K horns moves a large volume of air/sound and really fills the room. I have heard many high line HT setups and this one tops most if not all of them. I honestly think tweaked Heritage is as good as you can get for HT or 2 CH. I think outboard power amps are also important. I strongly vote for the heritage however not having heard the other choice- good luck

IMHO K horns with 2" trachorns- ALK universal crossovers- Large JBL drivers- will out perform any reference speaker for HT or 2 ch applications- of course that is just my opinion. There is a radical difference from stock configuration in sound.

Not familar with the THX. I have tried lots of speakers in the reference line- RC 64- Rf 83s- all of the Ref top of the line bookshelfs for sides and rears. Attempted to mix the k horns with some reference stuff for superior 2 ch and HT. Could not get it to work. Horn mismatch. I have gone to modded heritage K horns- fronts- lascala center= Modded belles for side surrounds- industrial lascallas for rears- The lascallas will be moded in a similar manner as the others. This setup with 2" horms on the K horns moves a large volume of air/sound and really fills the room. I have heard many high line HT setups and this one tops most if not all of them. I honestly think tweaked Heritage is as good as you can get for HT or 2 CH. I think outboard power amps are also important. I strongly vote for the heritage however not having heard the other choice- good luck

IMHO K horns with 2" trachorns- ALK universal crossovers- Large JBL drivers- will out perform any reference speaker for HT or 2 ch applications- of course that is just my opinion. There is a radical difference from stock configuration in sound.

I bet that sounds amazing very nice set up. I hope someday to get a nice set of khorns for a 2 channel set up. Probably would have to be my next house though I would need more room

LoL, as far as I can see the only thing your missing is a supermodel wife that Thinks big speakers are sexy and loves Gadgets.

THX, haha how much better could it get? Nice setup!

Oh wait! You could add some perverse bass Like a Danley DTS-10 Kit or Clark Transducers on the seats.

Lend that Velodyne a hand.