OT: Giants' Catcher Buster Posey

fini

Heartbreaking. Last night in the 12th inning of a 6-6 tie game, Posey got steamrolled by Marlins outfielder Scott Cousins. Posey suffered a broken ankle and torn ligaments (and is getting an MRI this morning). I'm hoping for the best for last year's Rookie Of The Year (and an absolute key to the Giant's World Championship success), but it does not look good. I'd be surprised if he recovered enough to play this season...and his career might be over.

posey-injury-2-bmp.jpg?w=320

439x.jpg

ebb00a30c22728adcb24274572a5e1f3.jpg

I hated to see that!

It's a legal play. What else could he have done other than get out the way?

Slid to the right and stuck his hand out. He had an alternate route, but decided (relatively) early on he was gonna plow into Posey. Legal but s#itty.

EDIT: I know he did not intend to break bones and ligaments, probably thought he'd "knock the wind out of him." We lose our best player. It just sucks. Folks are talking about this accident being the catalyst for a rule change. Maybe something like that would help in the future, who knows. And who knows what that rule change would be. Catcher is a dangerous position...

Your right! Posey should be forced to step aside and allow Cousins to score! It was not a force play and why was he blocking the plate. Disgraceful.

Buster WAS blocking the plate and therefore challenging cousins who took him up on it. Nothing dirty about it. You either run with the big dogs or you sit on the porch. [;)] Even in little league you get run over for blocking the plate.

It might be legal, but it shouldn't be. I mean, for crying out loud, it is BASEBALL, not football. Seems weird to allow this potential to exist.

You know on a whole as a society we are getting way to soft. I wonder what people would say today about Ty Cobb and his spikes flying high

sliding into bases. Athletes get paid good money and risks are involved, leave the game and it rules as is, $hit happens. Football too is becoming

much less violent then it was because we as a society are becoming "*******". Just a combat veterans opinion of the situation.

Your right! Posey should be forced to step aside and allow Cousins to score! It was not a force play and why was he blocking the plate. Disgraceful.

Buster WAS blocking the plate and therefore challenging cousins who took him up on it. Nothing dirty about it. You either run with the big dogs or you sit on the porch. Wink Even in little league you get run over for blocking the plate.

Posey wasn't blocking the plate! There was a clear alternative route to the plate. Check out this shot. I take issue with the arrow showing Cousins' direction of travel, but it looks pretty clear he's going for Posey, not the plate. He's inside the base path. The only thing Posey was going to block the plate with was his glove! Of course, he didn't catch the throw, and cousins would have been safe anyway. But did you see Cousins scramble back to the plate to touch it? He knew he was nowhere near home when he plowed over Posey.

d66snu.jpg

Collisions at the plate are part of baseball. I am a former catcher who has been through many collisions starting at 9 years old. (started playing catcher at 8, first collision at 9). If you do not have the ball, you are not allowed to block the plate. If you feel you will receive the ball, you start to block it. I always gave the runner room to get around and get to the plate. Posey set up wrong and got himself hurt. It is part of being a catcher. It is sad. Where was this outrage for Santana last year?

The rule should be enforced as it is. No blocking the plate without the ball unless you are receiving the ball. Catchers need to learn how to block the plate in a way to protect their knees. I wish him the best of luck. I do hope Panda gets some time at catcher as that would help my fantasy team a great deal.

Cliff, I am not sure that we should view combat and sport as equals, with the same rules. Would you advocate the same rules for business too? If so, why all the bellyaching about Wallstreet and all the lawyer jokes? Are the whiners all "*******" who simply can't play "hardball" with the "big boys"? Is that really where we want our country to go?

So, all is fair in love and war . . . . and sport, and business, and . . . . . . ?

Patrick, the idealistic ***** (singular form of "*******")

Edit note: LOL, saw the *** and added the parenthetical notation above. Apparently the plural is okay but the singular is vulgar.

It is a sport played by men and paid a substantial amount of money. Risk of injury is part of it and that is the way it should be. Someone gets injured, it

is going to happen, if you can not take the risk, then let someone else make the big bucks. People are too sensitive to people getting hurt, it is a part of life

and so be it.