RF-7 and CF-2 Comparison

Youthman

• Moderators

I moved my son's CF-2's into the HT next to the RF-7's. I plan on some audio comparison between the two. The family are all asleep so audio comparison testing will have to wait until tomorrow.

In the meantime, I thought I would post some eye candy and get some more practice on my photography skills.

CF2andRF7-1.jpg

CF2andRF7-2.jpg

CF2andRF7-3.jpg

CF2andRF7-4.jpg

• Moderators

Thanks for the kind words. I don't know why but I really enjoy photographing audio gear. It's much easier to do than photographing people since inanimate objects do not move and you can place the camera on the ground and set the timer and leave the shutter open to get a nice, sharp image.

Other than cropping and slight sharpening, the photos are unaltered.

• Moderators

The CF-2's were part of the Epic Series. CF-1's had dual 6's, CF-2's have dual 8's, CF-3's have dual 10's and CF-4's have dual 12's. The CF-2's were made from 1994 - 1996. With them being front ported, you can butt them right up against the wall.

We just returned home so I'm off to the HT to play around and compare the two speakers.

• Moderators

Thx corn. That's one of the reasons I like posting comparison photos so people can get a visual of the differences. It's one thing to see the numbers on the Klipsch website but to me, it helps to see actual photos in comparison to other speakers.

For example, I had NO idea how large my projector was until it arrived and I placed it next to my PS3.

panny2.jpg

Same thing with my RC-64. The photo below gives you a size reference.

3232785004_4f4775c7fe_z.jpg

3231937865_508a32300b_z.jpg

My first pair of Klipsch speakers were black CF-2's (shown below). I sold them after getting my RF-83's.

2317378123_f9fa4f1153_z.jpg

Lol my first set of klipsch

Don't laugh, I still have a pair as surrounds in my bedroom. They actually sound very good as surrounds and pretty good in a small 2-channel system or as computer speakers.

Bill

• Moderators

Well, I have officially moved the RF-7's into their new home...my 12 yr old son's bedroom. He came home from a friends today and I gave him a few minutes alone to listen to them. When I walked in he looked like this...[:D]

They sound absolutely amazing even in his bedroom. I was concerned that they wouldn't sound that great since they have to be pretty close to the wall, maybe 3" - 4" away but they sound fantastic.

I will be selling the CF-2's to help offset some of the cost of the RF-7's.

• Moderators

I definitely prefer the RF-7's over the CF-2's but then again, we are comparing a $2000 retail pair to a $3500 retail pair of speakers. I would expect to hear a significant difference between the two.

The RF-7's have a much more full soundstage and a better bottom end. The higher tweeter in the 7's allow the sound to be realy crisp and detailed.

The CF-2's sound really great on their own merit but when you do a side by side comparison, the RF-7's are clearly the winner in my book.

I might have asked this question before but I've slept since then. My CF-2's have a single port and the photo on the Klipsch website shows dual ports. Is this because of the different versions? I searched the forums but mostly found version differences for the other CF speakers. I believe in the CF-3's, the version 1 was designed and engineered by Roy Delgado. I think it had longer port (maybe 5" - 6"). The Version 2 and 3, they shortened to about 3".

I'm not sure if that is the same for the CF-2's. My CF-2's have a single port that is 5" long and about 4" in diameter. Anyone know if this is version 1?

• Moderators

Looks like I was incorrect. I was guessing on the MSRP. Looking online, the RF-7's were $2200/pr as you have stated.

I'm not finding much info on the MSRP for the CF-2's. Not sure where I got that number from. LOL