Home Theatre Mods

JasonJCarney

I posted that pic over at the eD forum. Alex commented in the thread and emailed me. His email was: "just saw the post of your room on the form. THAT'S AMAZING!!!" end quote. Lol ... I am currently working with him on designing 2 custom sized subs for the front of the room. ... As well as some possible port chuffing issues. Still trying to determine if something is loose or it's actual chuffing.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted that pic over at the eD forum. Alex commented in the thread and emailed me. His email was: "just saw the post of your room on the form. THAT'S AMAZING!!!" end quote. Lol ... I am currently working with him on designing 2 custom sized subs for the front of the room. ... As well as some possible port chuffing issues. Still trying to determine if something is loose or it's actual chuffing.

When I bought my last sub (empire) that ED sub was one of
many I looked at. I read hundreds of posts. And the port chuffing issues was
the main reason I crossed the sub off my list. I was replacing a sub that had
the same problem. I talked to Alex on the blu ray forums a little about it. I’m
not saying it’s a bad sub I just hate port chuffing. The only ported subs I have
heard that don’t have port chuffing is SVS. (Inside the box it’s like pipe
organs that curve up in back pretty awesome looking inside)The one I have you
can just about pop the driver out of the box and the port don’t make even a
peep of noise even if you over drive it. So it can be done if the design is right
inside the box. But I realize the price difference is about $650 so it is a
little apples to oranges.

As far as a good projector vibration dampeners go.

Have you ever seen those DIY turntable platforms made from a stone tile sandwich.

You would glue em together and the top would be heatproof too I imagine $25 and it always could do duty as a turntable platfrom later.

I would use a top tile then 1/2-1" foam center then bottom tile then cheap flat gelsoles on bottom for grip and one more harmonic damping layer.

Butter it all together with weldwood contact cement not crappy 3M sprays and it should last till the foam rots in like 15 year+.

Before you layer the foam you can edge wrap it in a fabric color of choice to make it pretty and keep morons from picking at it.

Good looking room Jason! I love the "out of the box" thinking with the sub installs. Clever. Can you see vibration in the projected image? That would be the first clue that the lamp is taking a beating. Mine did at one time, but I've resolved it.

Have you mentioned paint at all? I'd get that room a darker color. It will help your video image greatly.

Thx. I actually have some updated photos with fresh paint on the screen and front wall. Not really dark but I went from semi-gloss white to eggshell "raw twine" or tan for everyone else lol. I don't have much room room above my projector for that sandwich idea. I also have not seen any image shaking yet but I am going to be proactive and put some type of vibration reduction protection. I did install a few vibration reduction items for the sub cabinets too so that has helped I think.

I have had three ED subs. 2 A7-350 and 1 A5-350. I have never had any chuffing issues. However, I have always had a great location and room. The gain on each of the amps are around 1/4 up, and I can still pull 110+ DB on testing with the rest of the system. I've met Alex, as I'm only about 30 minutes from their location here in Iowa. He is currently building me another A7-350. Its soon to be 9.3 [:D]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah thx. I'm happy. Been waning one for a while and when I saw their 4th sale I had to do it. Interested to hear my 63's with actual power

Great upgrade that all your speakers will benefit from. One recommendation
is to have a separate power outlet for the amp. I got bad loop/ground noise when
I ran mine to the same outlet as everything else. I have read others with the
same issues with emo amps. They have the amp gain set pretty high and you can’t
adjust it. Add in super sensitive speakers and you will hear any noise. I fixed
mine by running an extension cord to a different wall outlet.

• Moderators

I just read this, very nice, you were lucky to have that space behind that wall, good idea. Well your not shy about tearing into a wall. [Y] How does it sound now, that's alot of sub and speakers for that room, shouldn't take alot of power to sound good. [:P]

Yeah I love building stuff. The system sounds good right now. I feel like my speakers are too big for the room though. I'm trying to go either rf7 due to them being not as deep as the 63's or the 82ii's for the same reason. Just need to sell my 63's first. Right now I'm using little hd300 sats as surrounds until I order rb51's. I'm waiting to see how my fronts shake out before ordering my surrounds so I know wether to get rb51's or rb51ii's. If the 63's stay I would like to trade for a rc64 but we'll see.