Harvest Moon

Gilbert

well, its not a really harvest moon, but it is harvest time. here's my eldest daughter (10 yrs) with the monrnings harvest.

not into gardening, well then here's a little somethin somethin to get you in the mood....

post-12381-13819657194126_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Nice looking stuff, what is that all the way to the right that looks like cucumbers ?

My garden is doing well but the weeds got ahead of me this time.

If you like eggplant, ever try the Ichiban eggplants, to me they seem to grow much better. It's the long skinny eggplants, but the same taste.

Nice looking stuff, what is that all the way to the right that looks like cucumbers ?

My garden is doing well but the weeds got ahead of me this time.

If you like eggplant, ever try the Ichiban eggplants, to me they seem to grow much better. It's the long skinny eggplants, but the same taste.

Those veggies on the right are mamoth sized zuccini's. At about 18" long, and 4" in dia. They are monsters, much bigger than last years crop. I used a mushroom base compose this year, and the plants love it.

We are growing eggplants too, they should begin to start being ready in about a week. The girls (wife and kids) like me to grill eggplant slices when I do the BBQ thing on Sunday. Just rub'em down with a little olive oil and some herb bits (sage, rosemary, etc.).

What a great picture Gilbert. Your daughter looks so proud of her homegrown goodies! [:P]

Thanks for posting that great picture! [Y]

Oh, and remember to add a little olive oil to tomatoes, your body can't absorb all the good things from tomatoes, if you don't have a little fat mixed in.[;)]

Dennie

• Moderators

We are growing eggplants too, they should begin to start being ready in about a week. The girls (wife and kids) like me to grill eggplant slices when I do the BBQ thing on Sunday. Just rub'em down with a little olive oil and some herb bits (sage, rosemary, etc.).

Since were on a diet now I have been grilling them also, I used Olive oil and some spices and they were good, next i tried them the same way but without the olive oil and they were a little tough on the outside, like another skin. Oil from now on. [Y]

Going to try some with the herbs next, thanks.

• Moderators

best time of the year, fresh maters and watermelons! strawberries mostly gone already tho.

You must have planted early, your right they taste better than any you can buy.

I got behind on the weeding this year, if everything grew like the weeds I could set up a stand and sell tons.

Dennie, thanks for the heads up on the tomato-digestive thing. I'll definitely remember that one, because we all love fresh tomatoes. I love'em pan-seared too, with a little cracked pepper and oregano.

My daughter is very proud, she and her younger sister (8 yrs) helped me build the garden. They're both daddy's bestest goo as Dave (aka Mallet) would say.

And since the garden has grown and is in full swing, the girls take turns chasing the chickens out with a 1/10th scale RC car. It's a real hoot watching them giggle as they chickens rocket out of the garden in all directions. Feathers and dust flying everywhere. Dang chickens got to some of the cabbages this morning, and I'm thinking of grilled chicken right now, grrrrrr.

Dennie, thanks for the heads up on the tomato-digestive thing. I'll definitely remember that one, because we all love fresh tomatoes. I love'em pan-seared too, with a little cracked pepper and oregano.

My daughter is very proud, she and her younger sister (8 yrs) helped me build the garden. They're both daddy's bestest goo as Dave (aka Mallet) would say.

And since the garden has grown and is in full swing, the girls take turns chasing the chickens out with a 1/10th scale RC car. It's a real hoot watching them giggle as they chickens rocket out of the garden in all directions. Feathers and dust flying everywhere. Dang chickens got to some of the cabbages this morning, and I'm thinking of grilled chicken right now, grrrrrr.

You are welcome Gilbert! Yeah, we all love homegrown veggies and if we can get the most out of them, the better off we are.

But, we don't necessarily love CHICKENS eating our Veggies!!! Great idea to use the RC Car to chase them away. Fun for everyone. rock.gif

Dennie chickencatch.gif

best time of the year, fresh maters and watermelons! strawberries mostly gone already tho.

You must have planted early, your right they taste better than any you can buy.

I got behind on the weeding this year, if everything grew like the weeds I could set up a stand and sell tons.

maters will be ready real soon...

RC car is fun for everyone..... cept the chickens! LOL!

GREAT looking crop there! OH, the vegies don't look too bad either[;)]

Enjoy those kids while you can. Wasn't it only yesterday that our son was born?... I guess not, he is is 27 and serving in the Navy, it sure SEEMS like it though!

There is a country song about a father talking about boys and his daughter, the catch phrase goes to the effect of ... ya all go out and have some fun, me I'll be right here, still cleaning my gun! You may want to look up that song and see if there is any advice in it that you may use. Your daughter is going to be drawing boys like bees to honey !