Old RF 7 or new RF 82 II

heino69

Hi,

any opinions to this question?

I can get "old" used RF 7 for a good price - near the price for the new RF 82 II.

What will be the better choice for a home cinema setup.

Currently I'm replacing my old setup (Teufel) with Klipsch and i started with the center RC 62 II -> I'm absolutely happy with this center ;-)

Now I have to find the best matching front box (and will continue with the rest afterwards - step by step)

THANX!

Take a step back and look and your listening space. The rf-7's need to breathe a bit since they have such a big sound. If you have a tiny listening space the 82's are the hands down answer. If you have a bit of a larger space the rf7's would be great for your space. I had to make the tough decision of rf-5's or rf-7's and i took the plunge and havent looked back!

• Moderators

The RF-7's are definitely a great speaker. The RC-62ii is voice matched to the RF-82ii's. I was concerned that the RF-7's that I recently purchased would not sound great in my son's 11 x 11 bedroom and sitting pretty close to the wall but honestly, they sound amazing even in tight quarters. You can ask Charles (member in the forums). He has his setup in a bedroom as well and he's very satisfied with them.

Hi,

I can get "old" used RF 7 for a good price - near the price for the new RF 82 II.

Currently I'm replacing my old setup (Teufel) with Klipsch and i started with the center RC 62 II -> I'm absolutely happy with this center ;-)

Now I have to find the best matching front box (and will continue with the rest afterwards - step by step)

THANX!

Hein,

Welcome to The Forum!

I am not well versed in Reference series Klipsch speakers; but I believe the RF7 is the speaker I would choose; hands down.

You could always sell the current center and look for an RC7 down the road.

There are crossover mods (Dean mod) that bring those RF7s to a whole different level.

FWIW, both speakers are an excellent choice.....

Good Luck

I own both.......there is no comparison....the 7's soundly stomp the 82's in all aspects of audio.That said, the 82's are a pretty good speaker, I use them in my dedicated theater room.

The better sounding speaker independently will be the RF-7s, but you should know that they have a tendency to be bright without the Dean G mods to the cross-overs (extra expense). If you are going to use the speakers for mostly (80% +) HT viewing, the RF-82 IIs paired with the RC-62 II would likely be my choice. They have a smaller footprint and do a great job of imaging for cinema. Also, your center, while an excellent speaker, may not keep up as well as one would like with the RF-7s. It could get drowned out by the dual 10s and make the vocals sound a little thin. On the other hand, if your room is greater than 3000 cubic foot, the RF-7s might do a better job of filling the space.

Hi,

THANX!

The 82s are nice but as mentioned above the rf-7 are

amazing. Imo they are the ultimate HT speaker. But if you are buying used

condition of them is important. Also you can get rf-82ii for a lot less then

retail. You can find them for 700-800 if you wait for a sale. Comes down to

what you want. Will you be happy with good or do you have to have amazing.

[:D]

Also as mentioned the rc-62ii is a perfect match to the

rf-82ii.

Hi,

THANX!

The 82s are nice but as mentioned above the rf-7 are

amazing. Imo they are the ultimate HT speaker. But if you are buying used

condition of them is important. Also you can get rf-82ii for a lot less then

retail. You can find them for 700-800 if you wait for a sale. Comes down to

what you want. Will you be happy with good or do you have to have amazing.

[:D]

Also as mentioned the rc-62ii is a perfect match to the

rf-82ii.

I'm overwhelmed about the amount of answers - great forum!

Sorry for the late answer, but we have some time difference here in Austria ;-)

Maybe i have to add some info about the room:

My cinema is quite small 5,5m l x 4,2m w x 2,4m h (55 m³)

I think for US this about 18 feet l x 14 w x 7 h (2000 cubic feet)

One additinal question:

Are there different models from RF 7 out there, because in a picture i found in a review
the Bi-wiring terminal on the back was in 2 rows(2 up, 2 below).
The 2 used RF 7 I found on market has all 4 connectors in one row - so maybe this an older edition?

I'm overwhelmed about the amount of answers - great forum!

Sorry for the late answer, but we have some time difference here in Austria ;-)

Maybe i have to add some info about the room:

My cinema is quite small 5,5m l x 4,2m w x 2,4m h (55 m³)
I think for US this about 18 feet l x 14 w x 7 h (2000 cubic feet)

One additinal question:

Are there different models from RF 7 out there, because in a picture i found in a review
the Bi-wiring terminal on the back was in 2 rows(2 up, 2 below).
The 2 used RF 7 I found on market has all 4 connectors in one row - so maybe this an older edition?

your room qualifies as a larger room IMO, i had my 7's in a 10 foot by 10 foot listening area and that was just too small for them IMO. I'd go with the 7's with this new information.