What we don't have now

fini

Thanks Fini, But I already knew. She was an amazing talent and had a "Gift" we rarely see. I loved the audition tape of her singing "No Greater Love". It is a bonus feature on her DVD and if you haven't seen it, it is worth seeking out. Same set up as this video, just her and a guitar. Bravo!

When I heard she died, my heart truly ached. I hope she could give us many, many more years of her talent.

RIP Amy, you touched my soul with your music!

Edit: Here is one early version of her doing "No Greater Love", it is not the one I was referring to, but it will do:

...and if all you know of Amy Winehouse is her"Back to Black" album, you really need to check out her first album FRANK!

Dennie

Seti,

Is that your website in your sig? If so very cool! I've been there a number of times in the past but some how never knew it was yours... Thanks for the link! If you would like a link on my website send me an email and I will do it the next time I update my website.

Cheers Craig

Reading some of the comments below this link is depressing. There are so many mean spirited comments.

"Mean people Suck!" - others.

We were fortunate to hear what she did create, she had so much more to give in time. If these kids could just make it a few more years they may realize how precious every day really is. To chid people for their lifestyle when they have given so much is just ignorant.

You know she was either really good or really f'd up bad with not much inbetween.

+1!

Sorry for her family and loved ones' loss......

Fortunately she will mostly be remember for the performances like the one at the beginning of this thread. It is top notch.

Reading some of the comments below this link is depressing. There are so many mean spirited comments.

"Mean people Suck!" - others.

We were fortunate to hear what she did create, she had so much more to give in time. If these kids could just make it a few more years they may realize how precious every day really is. To chid people for their lifestyle when they have given so much is just ignorant.

Indeed Artarama, one of the sad things about this world today is how so many have ZERO compassion for anyone[:(] Addiction is a horrible thing and sometimes one of the hardest things to overcome, so much tallent with no self control. She had so much love to offer and all some of those posters can do is dog here out. So sad that this is where so many in this world are heading! Far too much hate in the world today

(Flame suit on) I think people would have more compassion if she dies from a congenital heart issue, cancer, plane wreck, etc (issues beyond her control) rather than just geting f....d up. She had a gift and, the world was at her feet, and people who will never have her level of talent or success could be bothered by the fact that she just threw it away.

In the interest of full disclosure, I don't put cancer and addiction in the same definition of disease.

You are correct Cliff, they all died at age 27. In fact, there is a long list of musicians who died at that age:

This sounds to me like it's right out of Gail Sheehy's book "Passages" on the transition from pre-30's to post-30's youth. Somewhere around then, men and women begin to fear they are entrapped in their early lives and strongly need to break free into something else. A similar death, the suicide of star Olympic athelete Jeret Peterson at age 29 in a remote canyon in Utah: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/othersports/2015736996_digs27.html. The age similarity may not be a coincidence.

(Flame suit on) I think people would have more compassion if she dies from a congenital heart issue, cancer, plane wreck, etc (issues beyond her control) rather than just geting f....d up. She had a gift and, the world was at her feet, and people who will never have her level of talent or success could be bothered by the fact that she just threw it away.

In the interest of full disclosure, I don't put cancer and addiction in the same definition of disease.

Life is tough, no doubt. A tiny chemical change (or electrical, or some other) and folks fall onto another track. Is it something they could have changed? Probably not. All I know is when I listen to her sing Valerie in the clip I posted, even though the sound is crappy, I am deeply moved, and it bums me out, saddens me immensely, and pisses me off that we no longer have her. Same with Lennon, Harrison, Orbison, Stevie...the list goes on, no matter how they left. I choose not to make judgements, as I said, life is tough.