Listening to normal TV/cable over your RF7ii's?

Beechnut

I have to agree with the others....as soon as I got a sound system I switched off my tv speakers and never looked back. As others have said if you use an HD box and run HDMI to ur receiver then you can get Dolby Digital. Or with a regular box you can run optical (usually) and get Dolby on some channels...but yes...pretty much all of my HD channels are Dolby Digital...so yes it does sound great on my 7s...especially when i turn it up. Movies, sports etc all sound great.....now on the few channels that don't have Dolby Digital...my receiver goes to Dolby Pro Logic which sounds decent....but doesn't sound quite as good and balanced as Dolby Digital which has more separation of the channels....so if you have HD service and a HD box then you should be satisfied!

I get cable thru the wall with no cable box, so i only get stereo sound. So it just sound ok with my RF7's

If you have an optical output on your tv you could run that

to your avr. Then on hd channels you will get dolby 5.1 on your local hd

channels.

Not on most TV's. The majority of TV's with an optical output will still only output stereo...

I would disagree I had cheap cable that used no box just ran

from the wall. The tv I used was a cheap $500 37” vizio tv. On all the hd local

channels like 2.1, 4.1, 5.1, and 11.1 the optical out gave 5.1. This works with

just an hd antenna as well. Have a friend with a cheap Sony 40” with just an hd

antenna, and he gets 5.1 same with the optical output.

I get cable thru the wall with no cable box, so i only get stereo sound. So it just sound ok with my RF7's

If you have an optical output on your tv you could run that

to your avr. Then on hd channels you will get dolby 5.1 on your local hd

channels.

Not on most TV's. The majority of TV's with an optical output will still only output stereo...

I would disagree I had cheap cable that used no box just ran

from the wall. The tv I used was a cheap $500 37 vizio tv. On all the hd local

channels like 2.1, 4.1, 5.1, and 11.1 the optical out gave 5.1. This works with

just an hd antenna as well. Have a friend with a cheap Sony 40 with just an hd

antenna, and he gets 5.1 same with the optical output.

I stand corrected after doing some reading, although you will only get 5.1 through the built in HD tuner. If it's hooked up through any other input though, it will only do stereo. I'm used to life up here in Canada, where OTA HD doesn't really exist (for all intents and purposes), so I've always used (and installed for others) strictly cable/sat boxes...

I have AT&T U-verse...I can get 5.1 for television sound for a bit then it goes silent...tried every type of hook up I can...no help...had AT&T out several times...no help...checked online at the Forums...seems to be a common problem but no fix in sight...when it is working...it sounds great...when it stops...I have to re program for Stereo...still sounds nice but it's not 5.1...I do seem to be getting 5.1 when I run movies with the DVDs no problems...I have tried two different receivers (Outlaw and Panasonic) and two different U-verse receivers (same model)...frustrating as I'd love to get 5.1 for TV sound...

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

Was slightly concerned that the speakers would highlight the audio from tv in a way that would be disappointing. This will be my first time going with high end floor standers. It'll all be tied into the living room and replace my main listening speakers.

So I'm guessing if you're listening to TV programing over Jubilees...I should be good to go. :)

Playing your TV through your best sound system will give you sound closer to what the director, sound people, effects people and composers hear and want. THEY don't listen through lousy TV speakers, unless they occasionally do so to check to see if any of their intentions are geting through when listening to speakers of the world's worst type, size and quality. Most TV speakers are insults to anyone who likes music or the craft of television or film.

One Caution: The commercials may sound more intrusive with a good system (most are recorded nearer the upper dB limit -- by limiting or compressing --), and a high proportion are damn annoying to begin with, so you will have to turn them down.. The same with previews on your BDs and DVDs. Dolby warned the industry people that they were shooting themselves in the feet by having the previews louder, since many people would adjust the volume for the previews and leave it at that setting for the movie (which is softer on the average, but usually not on the peaks). You don't want to do that, because Dolby's advice is now, once again, being ignored. The better the sound system, the more you will have to readjust the sound for the feature film itself, usually by turning it UP to hear the dynamics and taste of the filmmakers. Most title sequences should sound full and robust -- like there is an orchestra in front of you. Your final adjustment of volume -- to match the artists' intentions -- would be to set the dialog at a realistic level. The one exception to this would be in the case of films which have had their dynamics compressed before being transfered to disk, resulting in dialog that is too near the top, robbing the music and effects of their climaxes. This is true of a few old classics of the '50s and '60s -- particularly 70mm, musicals, epics, etc.-- that were transfered using limiters that were switched on without sufficent thought.

However...

I have COX Cable digital, and a Scientific Atlantic box.
If you go into programming and select a future TV show for a reminder to watch later, the digital audio signal of the current program becomes limited and sounds very compressed. I found this out by accident going from no program in waiting while watching a concert on Palladium in Dolby Digital to setting a program to watch later,

then taking the reminder back off. There is an extreme difference in sound quality and volume. (Volume had to be moved from -25 to -16!) And the compression becomes intolerable.

I was since told DVR programming can effect this too.

Try this with your set up, you may have to have no reminders, programs, etc in waiting to get best sound. Probally bandwidth issues.

"I'm used to life up here in Canada, where OTA HD doesn't really exist (for all intents and purposes)."

Granted that may be the case in Edmonton,but OTA HD in around the border and in and around big cities is alive and doing great in Canada. In Toronto here I get 24 OTA HD channels clearly and the 5.1 sound is a lot better and especially more consistent. I'm running a NFusion HD box through FTA. No Rogers,Bell and Shaw HD craaap for me. NFL over OTA attenna (buffalo local FOX,NBC,CBS,) has incredible sound and feels like I'm AT the game