Problems with my newly aquired La Scala's

jeff spicoli

I posted on the forum about a month ago weather to trade my Cornwall's for La Scala's. I did and I dont think I'll ever go back!!!

As I was listening to them this evening......I know this is going to sound kinda crazy.......but there are certain parts of songs that I cannot hear. For example on "Break On Through" by the Doors, when Ray Manzarek comes in with the organ......I can just barely hear the organ. "Cant You Hear Me Knocking" by the Rolling Stones is the same way??? Same thing goes for certain songs by Sly And The Family Stone. I even did a test on a different system to see which parts I could hear and which parts I couldn't and it sounded as it was supposed to.

There are just certain songs that I have listened to literally hundreds of times and I find myself thinking...."thats not how it's supposed to sound!!!"

Do think it could be the crossovers? I know the receiver is good. Or what about the tweeters? It makes me not even want to listen to the speakers untill I find the problem!! I apprieciate any help you can give.

Congratulations on the La Scalas! [<:o)]

Yes, it could be the crossover. Are they original?

It could also be Phase. Are both speakers wired correctly? I have a "Tune Up" disc that was put out by Sound & Vision Magazine and it has many different tests, including Phase. If one speaker has the Positive wire going to the Negative terminal, it will lose a lot of the sound.

There are other disc that have these tests on them and if you have one, give it a try. Some "Disney" movies have a set up section in the menu, that will run these tests also.

Keep us posted,

Dennie

Thank you for the kind words!!! I truely love these speakers!!! I can see why everyone talks so good about them. I thought I would miss the bass from the Cornwalls, but since the room is so big, i dont notice that much of a difference.

Yes the crossovers are original and so is everything else. They were in storage for about a year. Do you think that would have hurt the crossovers since they are somewhat exposed unlike the Cornwalls?

I'll do some research on those discs you were talking about. Do you think I ought to contact Crites and see what they say? I'd hate to replace something that dosent need it??

You can test the tweeter by placing a small dishcloth/towel in the mid horn and listen closely to see if the tweeter is working. And vice versa.

I've seen crossovers like that [:D] A friend recapp'd mine for me and it was night and day. Capacitors go bad over the years. Buy a new crossover or replace the capacitors in your current AL network.

• Moderators

I posted on the forum about a month ago weather to trade my Cornwall's for La Scala's. I did and I don't think I'll ever go back!!!

I remember that, I was hoping you went through with it, I think you got some good ideas on finding the problem. I have some old crossovers that look like that but there AA's, and one is even leaking but there used outside so I was in no rush but they really need to be fixed badly.

Well I guess I have some cheaper alternative solutions to try first.

1.Check the phase

2.Check the sound from both cabinets

3. Clean the crossovers

4. Loosen and tighten the screws on the crossovers

5. Clean it real good

If none of these solutions work, should I look into getting the crossovers rebuilt, or possibly getting new ones?

Well I guess I have some cheaper alternative solutions to try first.

1.Check the phase

2.Check the sound from both cabinets

3. Clean the crossovers

4. Loosen and tighten the screws on the crossovers

5. Clean it real good

If none of these solutions work, should I look into getting the crossovers rebuilt, or possibly getting new ones?

Those look like they seen better days. You can rebuild them or replace. I replaced my '79 Type AA with new ones from Bob Crites. It made a significant improvement. [Y]

Here's the link -----> Crites Speakers

Check out the whole site, lots of great stuff. Bob was a pleasure to do business with and I would not hesitate to recommend him.

You can also make modifications and upgrades, do a search for "Crossovers" and you'll find plenty of threads.

I hope this helps,

Dennie

Bob was a pleasure to do business with and I would not hesitate to recommend him.

You can also make modifications and upgrades, do a search for "Crossovers" and you'll find plenty of threads.

I hope this helps,

Dennie

What he said!! [Y]

You can test the tweeter by placing a small dishcloth/towel in the mid horn and listen closely to see if the tweeter is working. And vice versa.

I've seen crossovers like that Big Smile A friend recapp'd mine for me and it was night and day. Capacitors go bad over the years. Buy a new crossover or replace the capacitors in your current AL network.

Huh? Just go to the terminal strip on the crossover and disconnect the positive + terminal for all three drivers. Reconnect them one at a time to check each driver and make sure you get the screws nice and tight. You don't have to crank up the volume to huge levels but it's handy to be able to hear each driver separately.

Eeeeeek!! The dreaded AL xover!! [st]

Just kidding. I had those in mine for a while, they weren't that bad, but they do get a pretty bad rap here on the Forum. You might want to seek out a Forum member named Speakerfritz. He was trading his rebuilt AA xovers for old, dusty, AL xovers... for free (you pay shipping).

At least you could get something new in there and see if it made any difference. If you didn't like fritz's crosses you wouldn't be out any coin. Then you could try Bob's AA's or A/4500. I have the 4500's in mine w/ Bob's 125's tweets and I really like the way they sound.

Obviously, try all this AFTER you have tried the previous (relatively FREE) options. But, these are some other options. Good luck, and let us know how they turn out!!

Those crossovers look like they need serious cleaning and the caps replaced. The "oil cans" are likely as not dried out, and that will contribute to loss of freqs, "muddiness", etc. The others' comments regarding "check" the connections are absolutely true. You should also get a small bottle of "de-oxit" and clean the terminal connections, the screws, etc. Also, behind the K-55 midrange there should be a rubber gasket where the horn mouth and the K-55's "schnozzle" meet. It may be either missing or dried out. That too should be replaced and the horn threads very lightly coated with silicone grease. BEC also has those as well as the caps.

[H]

Those crossovers look like they need serious cleaning and the caps replaced. The "oil cans" are likely as not dried out, and that will contribute to loss of freqs, "muddiness", etc. The others' comments regarding "check" the connections are absolutely true. You should also get a small bottle of "de-oxit" and clean the terminal connections, the screws, etc. Also, behind the K-55 midrange there should be a rubber gasket where the horn mouth and the K-55's "schnozzle" meet. It may be either missing or dried out. That too should be replaced and the horn threads very lightly coated with silicone grease. BEC also has those as well as the caps.

Cool

One of my pairs of LS's were as you described, and I did the capacitor replacement, and replaced the dried up horn gaskets, and they sounded like completely diffrent speakers. When I bought another pair with oil can xovers, I went ahead and called Bob Crites.