dont be stupid - evacuate if you are in flood zone "A"

Guest " "

Right now irene is sitting a category 2 and expected to remain category 2 until at least late sunday night.

If your local officials ordered an evacuation, evacuate.

For example, I'm in zone AE, and about .5 miles from the coast, my house sits at 19ft above sea level. While the flood waters are expected to only be 3 to 6 ft, the storm surge or sea foam, can reach ad high as 30ft during a category 2 storm.

you don't have gills and can not breath seafoam.

I'm out of here, be safe.

• Moderators

It was just on the news, if your going to stay take a 3x5 card and write down your name address and next of kin and put it in you pocket..........so they know who the body is when they find it. I am not joking, I just heard it.

Be smart not dead

I think people are really taking heed of this. Friggan I-95 was just PACKED with traffic heading north. Usually there is hardly any traffic on the north-bound side and everybody is heading to the beaches instead. Also, I wanted to put gas in my truck and all the gas stations were completely out here! The WaWa next to my office building was literally backed-up with traffic.

It is going to get real crazy around here over the next couple of days. First thing tomorrow morning, I need to get the trash to the dump (I hope the dump will even be open tomorrow). Hopefully, I can find some gas around here for the truck (should've done it Wednesday, but forgot, with all the exitment with the earthquake and such around here).

Thankfully, I am far enough in-land and high up enough from the river that I don't have to worry about flooding. The wind may be another story, which reminds me, I need to go and store the furniture on my deck in the shed, so it all don't get blown away.

I also wanted to go see a concert on Saturday night, but I may end up bagging that idea due to the weather. No way, I am driving up there to Springfield in all that wind and rain (some 40 miles north of here).

• Moderators

best to play it safe. i've been caught in the middle of some dangerous weather and believe me, when i tell the story now, people are only impressed for a few seconds.

Your right unless you see it your self you don't get it, you can't.

I have seen a bunch of people come down here and want to see storm damage, you can tell them 100 times but when they see it themselves they stand there with there mouth open in shock. Twice we offered to go to the coast where the tidal surge pushed every building a mile inland and were told nicely I don't want to see it if it's worse than this. They ask, well everyone left right, not really needing the answer because they know and what they see is hard to deal with for the first time as it is without thinking about the almost 2000 people who didn't make it, not counting the ones never found.

I also wanted to go see a concert on Saturday night, but I may end up bagging that idea due to the weather. No way, I am driving up there to Springfield in all that wind and rain (some 40 miles north of here).

Good thinking, especially if it's outdoors. I'm sure you've been hearing about the recent outdoor stage collapses.