Cornscala or klipschorn or La Scala

SonicSeeker

I found myself in a similar situation a couple of weeks ago - which to buy ? I finally decided on the Cornscala "style D". For me the choice was between the Chorus, Forte, Cornwall and Heresy, as I did not have a room that would support the K-Horn's. I immediately dropped the Heresy from consideration (limited LF response) after some sage advice from a few fellow members. Next to go was the Forte for it's lower sensitivity. I finally decided on the Cornwall, however, shipping costs and the innevitable upgrades/repairs (crossovers, diaphrams etc...) made me take a hard look at the Cornscala. After talking with Mr. Crites, I decided to go with the "style D" 2 way. Total outlay with shipping will come in somewhere in the $1500 to $1600 range. This for a baltic/Russian birch ( no mdf ) cabinet complete with cnc motorboard's ( front baffles) , crossovers, drivers etc... When I weighed that vs. $800 to $1000 for a 30 or 40 year old pair of Cornwall's plus $200 to $300 to get them shipped, then whatever upgrades/repairs may be needed, well, it was a no brainer for me. I will however, have to assemble and finish the cabinet's. This is a plus in my opinion because it will allow me to stain and poly them to whatever color I wish. As a bonus they will be dent, scratch and coffee cup ring free. Understand that I blew my initial budget all to hell as it was originally in the $700 range. I assume your budget is quite a bit higher since you are considering K-Horn's or Lascala's. I will post pic's and initial impressions of there sound as the build progress's. Good luck to you which ever way you choose to go.

• Like 1

I am tired of being disapointed and as much as I like trying new things it gets a little pricey after a while.

So as many opinions as I can get the better.

I dont know if I have the perfect space for K-horns, I am not a big fan of the looks of La Scalas and I feel my Cornwalls come up a little short in the mids.

I am seriously leaning toward the Cornscalas so please keep me updated.

Thanks,

Scott

It's hard to beat the sound of a pair of La Scalas with a good sub.

What's the point if you have to use a subwoofer? Might as well use a small pair of Klipsch bookshelf speakers (or Heresy's) if you're going to use a sub and then you don't have to look at those LaScala's. You'll probably get at least as good a sound.

What's the point if you have to use a subwoofer? Might as well use a small pair of Klipsch bookshelf speakers (or Heresy's) if you're going to use a sub and then you don't have to look at those LaScala's. You'll probably get at least as good a sound.

Using LS here with NO sub and I'm quite happy. All the bass I want or need here. Love having fully horn loaded speakers...

Bruce

I've heard other LS with subs... deeper bass, sounded great, but I don't feel it's necessary. The bass on my LS is tight, fast, etc. Stand up bass on Nora Jones first two CDs sounds very full and natural, My original JBL 4311s.... which are fully direct radiators. My Heresy II speakers... I heard Cornwalls at Klispch HQ, and wasn't impressed. Bass seemed muddy and not as clear as my LS.

Does it drop off as it goes down? Yes, but still very satisfying. I have used my LS with other preamp, amp combinations and it hasn't sounded as good. Some equipment just seems to work better than others. I am currently using a Juicy Music preamp with Welborne Labs 2A3 amps, cheap cd player. It just works great.

I'm not about to say you must use tubes. It's just that this combo works. Wish you were close by so you could come for a listen.

Bruce

nice equip, however...

CDs have “musical” things happening below 40-Hz, no matter what the subject matter! Using the Real Time Analyzer in the Behringer DEQ2496 UltraCurve Pro, let me tell you, even the human voice has harmonics that extend below 40Hz.

Rock/popular music certainly gets below 40-Hz, unless there is no kick drum, bass guitar or piano! 40-Hz is the low string on the bass guitar, which means there certainly are harmonics lower than the initial 40Hz note. The kick drum makes a 30Hz note and can reach momentary peaks of 120dB! That alone should indicate the deep for very big, very deep and very powerful sub-woofers to replicate music realistically.

[:^)]

So, music comes out of subwoofers? All speakers sound the same? Strange comment...

I'm using LS with subs and have for kicks used my Heresy in the same positions with the same subs. T.H.E. Droid, have you ever experimented with your theory? It doesn't hold salt when I tested it.

By the way, does anyone see benefit to the Corscala over LS if crossed at 80hz to a sub? I wouldn't think so. In fact, I'm guessing it would be a sacrifice of the horn loaded upper bass.

By the way, does anyone see benefit to the Corscala over LS if crossed at 80hz to a sub? I wouldn't think so. In fact, I'm guessing it would be a sacrifice of the horn loaded upper bass.

I agree. The La Scala has outstanding sound right down to its lowest note, and I've tended to prefer them over a Cornwall or a (heard only once) Cornscala. Its problem is the absence of solid propagation below around 60 Hz or so -- lowest organ, guitar and string bass notes are suddenly not there. I haven't heard a LaS and sub combo, but would sure miss the LaS's quality in the rest of the musical range.

Per my signature, I have K-horns and think it's the best compromise (I don't have room for Las and a sub anyway). I must admit its bass is a tad withdrawn and not as punchy as the other speakers', but at least it extends, if a little weakly, to 32 Hz.

Early last year I wanted to get back into 2 channel
listening. My old KG4 speakers had migrated to the back of the garage 10 or
more years ago and they hadn’t been replaced. I wanted something with a 15 inch woofer that had some bass,
a pair of neglected Belle Klipsch speakers was posted on this forum about an
hour from here and they came home with me. Two weeks later Klipschorns moved
into their corners and the Belle's sat in front. About two months after that I
drove a couple hours to Maine to
pick up Cornwalls. I played with them for a while and I like them all. The
Cornwalls are now out in the back of the garage where I spend a bit of time.
The klipschorn’s have center’s (I found another pair of Khorn’s last July). I
wanted to try them all and for some relatively short money because of the condition
issues I am able too. I think I got a deal on the Belle’s. I paid a bit much
for the first set of Klipschorns. The second pair of Klipschorns was from ebay
where you are guaranteed to pay the highest price; this pair came home for
parts money ($500) last July. The Cornwalls were a very fair price too. If you
want to find out what you like buy some beaters and decide, big speakers that
have condition problems aren’t everyone’s thing today but there still seems to
be a healthy competition for them. That’s
just my view.

I've heard other LS with subs... deeper bass, sounded great, but I don't feel it's necessary. The bass on my LS is tight, fast, etc. Stand up bass on Nora Jones first two CDs sounds very full and natural, My original JBL 4311s.... which are fully direct radiators. My Heresy II speakers... I heard Cornwalls at Klispch HQ, and wasn't impressed. Bass seemed muddy and not as clear as my LS.

Does it drop off as it goes down? Yes, but still very satisfying. I have used my LS with other preamp, amp combinations and it hasn't sounded as good. Some equipment just seems to work better than others. I am currently using a Juicy Music preamp with Welborne Labs 2A3 amps, cheap cd player. It just works great.

I'm not about to say you must use tubes. It's just that this combo works. Wish you were close by so you could come for a listen.

Bruce

For myself, my LaScala are as Bruce says and I enjoy them every day, tight, fast, accurate. I have also heard them with KP480's and that was impressive. It's all personal and fortunately we can all tailor our systems just the way we each like them.

Huh?

So, music comes out of subwoofers? All speakers sound the same? Strange comment...

Of course music comes out of subwoofers. Unless you only listen to steam engine and environmental recordings, what else is it? I'm making the point that you so obviously missed. About 80% of the cabinet space of the LaScalas is for making bass, so you're adding a subwoofer to an already large pair of speakers to make even more bass. Smaller speakers like the Heresy can handle the mid bass and up very well and turn over the low bass reproduction to a sub and you have a combination that is much easier to place and less intrusive in the room. Are Heresy's inherently inferior in midrange and HF reproduction compared to the LaScala? You're not going to get me to say it because I don't think it's true. Across PWK's entire line of heritage speakers, I think the main difference between each product is the method of bass reproduction and mid/hf systems are more similar than different..

Of course music comes out of subwoofers. Unless you only listen to steam engine and environmental recordings, what else is it? I'm making the point that you so obviously missed. About 80% of the cabinet space of the LaScalas is for making bass, so you're adding a subwoofer to an already large pair of speakers to make even more bass. Smaller speakers like the Heresy can handle the mid bass and up very well and turn over the low bass reproduction to a sub and you have a combination that is much easier to place and less intrusive in the room. Are Heresy's inherently inferior in midrange and HF reproduction compared to the LaScala? You're not going to get me to say it because I don't think it's true. Across PWK's entire line of heritage speakers, I think the main difference between each product is the method of bass reproduction and mid/hf systems are more similar than different..

I own Heresys and Khorns, and have owned Chorus, Chorus II's, Cornwalls and La Scala's. Let me say right here that the La Scala's and Khorns have it all over the other speakers in the midrange using the stock K-400 horn. No comparison really. Much more detailed, clearer, and a huge soundstage in comparison. This is in my room, but I can't imagine it wouldn't be noticeable in every other room on the forum.

Mike