near field recommendations, brooklyn apartment

lne937s

I recently moved to Brooklyn NY from Springfield, MO.

My current apartment is less than 200 sq ft and I really don't have room for big speakers. I also need to find some speakers that are designed to be listened to fairly close up. I have RF3s in MO and loved them in my previous large apartment, but I think that the dispersion angle and brightness would not be ideal for the small space I linve in now.

I want something like a near field monitor, any recommendations?

cwm1.gif Sorry PWK-A pair of Magnepan MMG's($550 Magnepan direct with little or no wait) are small and very detailed. They are absolutely perfect for near-field listening. Since you will not be playing them loud your best bet is to use some good tube preamp with Class A SS amp. You can also use a small powered sub to augment the low end if you feel the need. I did hear a pair with some Acurus(A250amp & L11pre) that sounded really nice although a tube pre with no NFB would add that extra warmth without loss of detail.

How 'nearfield' do you want to be?

I sit 8 feet away.

Just use your RF3's!

MVC-003S.JPG

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25f>s>SuperAmpf>s> - Sonic Frontiers Line 1 - Sony DVP-S9000ES - Klipsch RF7's

SVS 20-39 CS Plus - Samson S1000 - HSU Research elec. crossover - MIT/Monsters

f>s>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>c>s>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

Yeah, what Jaz said...

A couple of the used original Heresys would be great...alot cheaper than 500 bucks on eBay used too! It is surprising how well they sound in a small space at low volumes being pushed by a couple of watts from a good tube amp!! They excel in an environment like that!!!...AND it is nice to know that while you are enjoying them, they are APPRECIATING in value instead of DEPRECIATING!!!...always something to consider!!...Not many banks offer up a savings account that draws interest while you listen to it!!

By the way, for more on the Heresy in low-power situations, look for an upcoming anecdote I will be posting here in a day or so pertaining to the subject!

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 05-04-2002 at 01:55 PM

I just want to say that the < 200 square feet are more than just my listening room, they are my whole apartment. To deang, I would have to fit my bed and a couple bookcases in that space. On the other half of the room I have my computer desk, wardrobe and loveseat. The whole room is about 11 by 16.

NY apartments are unbelievably small and expensive. This apartment is actually significantly larger than my last apartment that was little more than a closet: $750/month= 9ft X 9ft- including closet space. It is even more expensive in Manhattan.

I reboxed my rf3's into seperate 3/4 MDF, heavily braced enclosures for each of the drivers. I think this made them sound much better, but it also made them larger and amazingly heavy- about 100lbs per side. Since I moved everything I own in a Mustang convertible- taking them with me was impossible in addition to the fact that I have nowhere to put them.

I need speakers that I can listen to from about 1 meter away. I also need speakers I can mount on or close to the wall. I would like to wall mount so that they don't fire into my furniture or take up floor space, and I have 12ft ceilings.

I am currently using a '70's MCS tuner and amp. I know who sold these- but the amp has completely seperate amplifier circuits for each side and I am impressed with the sound. I think it sounds better than any of the amps and receivers I have tried with my current speakers, including techniques, sony es, hitachi, and jvc. I haven't tried the tube route yet, but I think I have enough expensive hobbies for my current budget.

I am currently using a stereo JBL sub/sat system that has fairly large d'appolito(spelling?) style sats compared to most of the systems on the market. The dome tweeters are in an indentation that kind of reminds me of promedia. They sound pretty good for

I just wanted to know about something better. I am familiar with heresy's, but I think that even these might be too big and brite for my tight quarters.

Maybe - some ideas on simple speakers I can build

thanks for all your input

Larry

In that case -- since you already have the investment into the RF3's, and taking the time and money to make what you consider to be an improvement in the cabinet structure resulting in improved sound...

...why not stay with Reference and get some RB3's and wall mount them? If you can afford it -- add the RSW-10, which you might be able to slide out of the way somewhere.

Your options may be limited -- but you can still get some really good sound.

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25f>s>SuperAmpf>s> - Sonic Frontiers Line 1 - Sony DVP-S9000ES - Klipsch RF7's

SVS 20-39 CS Plus - Samson S1000 - HSU Research elec. crossover - MIT/Monsters

f>s>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>c>s>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

Hi Larry. The Maggies are the ticket I'm quite sure. I realized the 200sq ft dimension was not a typo having lived in many small apartment and having listened to them in a small listening room. Heresy's are not the ticket bc if you were to listen to them "near field" as you have already plainly explained to us, the tweeter would be pointing at your knees. To raise them off the floor high enough would kill it's already limited bass. The horn tweeter sound at the proper height would also put a hole in your eardrums and head over time. The Maggies, I believe, fit your requirements bc 1)They are flat(read do not take up much floor space) and can even be used against the wall, 2)Are Audiophile quality, 3)Perfect for the LOW SPL's you will be playing them at so as not to piss-off your neighbors, 4)Can augment them by placing them on top of a pair of high quality subs when you move from there AND you can fit them in your Mustang when you do, 5)IF you don't like them can sell them ANYWHERE for ALMOST EXACTLY what you paid for them and 6)buying new and potentially NOT buying someone elses problems. Good luck. cwm1.gifhttp://www.magnepan.com/1-800-474-1646/mmg.html

This message has been edited by SOUNDJUNKIE on 05-04-2002 at 07:17 PM

You could move to Alabama and buy a farm for that amount of money. Of course there's not much to do in the rural South. Just ask one of the ponytailed blonds you'll see walking around 'town' what they do for fun on Saturday night. She'll just smile and show you how to 'make music'. In the near field, of course!

Keith

deang has a good point "Just use your RF3's!"

If your amp has low distortion at low power, Klipsch speakers will sound good down to a whisper.

I use tube or Tripath amps with RF7s .. both very low distortion at low power, and the system sounds fine at low volume. Horns project right at the listener, not the neighbors.

I totally agree with deang and leok use your rf-3's. i have a very small room 10'X 9' and i use rf-3's and they sound great better than anything else i have heard including paradigm,martin logan,b&w,monitor audio. i sit about a meter and a half from the rf-3's. I do indeed plan on upgrading to rf-7's and a rc-7 in the future.

lne937s,

You live in a small space and want great sound,no problem.

If Klipsch you must have then get a pair of RB-5's,great sounding and should fit in quite well.Very dynamic and can work well even with a 20W PC amp or power deprived reciever.

Then one of my fave compact monitors is the Totem Model One Sig..Awesome,just needs a good 100W PC power amp to really shine.Much more refined then the RB-5's.

And my fave compact monitors Smile.gif The Dynaudio Contour 1.1's.Here again a 100W PC power amp or competent integrated is a must if you wish to hear all these wonders can do.Bests the Totem Model One Sig.,the upper detail is best of class,midrange purity is as good as it gets(unless you compare to much more expensive monitors like the Avalon Avatar.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

The rf3's are not an option.

The extreemely heavy rebox was necessary because of damaged original enclosures. The individual enclosures for each component came from a suggestion from a friend who does pro audio for theaters. The sererate boxes for each component, including a box for the crossover and asymetrical tripple cross braced cabinet for each woofer, do work, but shipping the pair (about 200 lbs) here would cost as much as new speakers. They are also now much to large and I told my brother he could have them.

I RB5's have rear firing bass ports- making wall mounting very difficult. I had already considered them but ruled them out for this reason.

I am looking for speakers with forward firing bass ports like Klipsch movie theater speakers, but with shallower projection, wider dispersion angle, and smaller size.

I looked at the maggies and am intrigued.

I have always wanted to listen to planar speakers but they are usually prohibitively expensive. do they really play down to 50hz?

I really like horn speakers, but I am having a hard time finding horns with the dispersion/ projection parameters I am looking for in preassembled speakers. I have learned from my pro audio friends that matching speakers to room parameters is really important and that great speakers may not perform well in some environments. I like building, but i really do not have the facilities to do so now (although I've always wanted to work with moulding carbon fiber and have found some relatively inexpensive!?!)

I would like to listen to some maggies first before i buy anything.

Thank You to everyone for their suggestions

Larry