the yee old question 2-10's or 1-12

enhanced250

Sorry if this has been discussed but I have not been able to locate it. Speaking about similar subs of course say....2-rw-10's or 1-rw-12...which one would sound best for HT? 2 -10's would look cooler in my setup but im more concerned with sound. If this has been discussed at nausium please send me in the right direction.

Just my two cents worth. I hav always prefered stereo subs over mono and multiple subs over stereo. Since you probably have a budget stick to stereo for now and go with two good tens in reasonable boxes that way you can add additional tens later to get better control of the modes in your room and keep the box size down. I cannot comment on the quality of the Klipsch sube you are looking at as I have not heard them. I am sure others here with hands on will comment. Home theater or stereo more subs spread out in the room will control the bass you get better than one large sub will. Hope this help best regards Moray James.

....2-rw-10's or 1-rw-12...which one would sound best for HT?

Sound better[8], (2) RW-10's, dig deeper[li], (1) RW-12. These subs are practically identical in build quality and are from the same series, with the exception of driver size and amplifier power. Two identical subs have a better chance of spreading the bass evenly and eliminating nulls and peaks. If we were talking about (2) RW-10's vs (1) RSW-12, then I would suggest (1) RSW-12.

I do think that (2) RW-10's is definitely louder than (1) RW-10, but not necessarily louder than (1) RW-12.

2 -10's would look cooler in my setup but im more concerned with sound.

Two subs will look cool.[H]

Bill

Why not two RW-12's? Wink

Or one RW 12 now and then when you are unhappy with coverage Wink , add a second....... Big Smile

Agreed. In addition, one sub is much easier to set up than two. While we're speaking in generalities, a similar 12 will in theory go lower than a 10. 2 10"subs may get louder but not lower.

I have a sub12 now and although I am happy w it overall....I feel the bass could be a bit cleaner and tighter. I don't think I need more volume as my sub12 is plenty loud..thinking maybe 2 sw-110 or 2wether rw-10d? Gotta see how budget goes and what kind of deals I can find and if I can sell my sub12. Im thinking of having them all up front it will go......rf-82-->sub-->wallunit-->sub-->rf82

After finally going with dual subs, I will never, ever recommend otherwise! There is a different quality to the bass energy in a room with two subs. Not volume or extension, but just a more cut through your bones sort of feel that I never accomplished with one.

I don't think the OP was asking if having one sub is better than having 2 subs. He's asking if one larger sub is better than 2 smaller subs.

This thread is kind of long but contains a lot of very good information. I especially like the fact that you only require one sub that actually goes deep for your in room bass extension while the remaining subs can be inexpensive eight or ten inch units as they are there to control room modes. Every time you double the number of subs that you have (assuming they all have the same efficiency) you half your distortion and double your head room. This is not about more bass level it`s about more control of the bass in your listening room. Give the thread a read and I am sure that you will have a much better understanding of making bass in your room than you did before. I hope this is of interest, best regards Moray James.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/134568-multiple-small-subs-geddes-approach.html

After finally going with dual subs, I will never, ever recommend otherwise! There is a different quality to the bass energy in a room with two subs. Not volume or extension, but just a more cut through your bones sort of feel that I never accomplished with one.

I don't think the OP was asking if having one sub is better than having 2 subs. He's asking if one larger sub is better than 2 smaller subs.

Therefore, I'd choose the two 10's, with those options.

What kind of music do you listen to, and are you primarily interested in music or movies?

One thing about subwoofers is that room acoustics pretty much dominate their perceived performance. Going to two subwoofers gives you some opportunities to address those room related issues (basically the idea is that each sub is affected differently so the sum of the good masks the sum of the bad).

I would recommend doing some reading on room modes and optimal subwoofer locations before making your next purchase. I was half joking about buying two betters subs, but what you don't want is two lessor subs that don't meet your expectations. I have always found in this hobby that it is best to wait and save up for something that will last a longer time....so in your situation, I don't know if that means buying one really good sub now and then later on adding another when funds are available again.

I especially like the fact that you only require one sub that actually goes deep for your in room bass extension while the remaining subs can be inexpensive eight or ten inch units as they are there to control room modes.

Having experimented with that on numerous occasions, I've always found the dramatic difference in distortion timbre to be distracting enough that I prefer fewer better subs, than a lot of cheap subs in conjunction with one good sub.

I think Toole offers a much better approach in his book on pscychoacoustics - and even offers up some math for calculating the idea locations. That's probably a bit too technical for the average listener, but I'd be willing to dig up the reference for anyone interested.

Therefore, I'd choose the two 10's, with those options.

The RW-10 will only go down to 25 Hz. 2 RW-10's will still only go down to 25 Hz. The RW-12 will go down to 21 Hz. One RW-10 will hit 110dB @ 30Hz. Theoretically (DrWho will correct me if I'm wrong) 2 RW-10's in a NON co-located configuration should do 113 dB @ 30 Hz. One RW-12 will do 113 dB@ 30 Hz. I'd take the option of going lower and playing just as loud by buying 1 RW-12 (for less money) than 2 RW-10's. I understand that YMMV.

One usually suffices, but dependent on the room acoustics and the speakers being used, 2 good quality 10" may be a better way to go for overall sound quality within the room.

I just installed 2 x SW-110's in the man cave. Could have left it at one or used the SW112, but after testing with larger single subs, etc., the overall quality from using tow SW110's is better. But that's my application only...

[H]