RF-7 ll

A1UC

1. Rerun Audyssey if you already haven't, and see if that has any impact.

2. It's usually not a great idea to have your primary listening position up against the back wall: tends to be prone to a lot of peaks and dips in response. I would try to move it out a little (don't want it in the center of the room either though). I'd expect that shelf right above your head wouldn't do much to enhance overall quality either. After moving though (or any changes in furnishings, room treatments, etc), you will of course need to again run Audyssey.

3. Treating the first reflection points wouldn't be a bad idea, given all the hard, bare surfaces.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have very similar rooms minus the fire place. I while back

i moved my set up the long way like how you have yours to try it and see how it

sounded compared to the narrow way that I have it. I thought the speakers were way to close to

the Lp and didn’t sound nearly as good. Also having your couch against a wall

makes that even worse. You should try

moving it the narrow way in front of the fire place to try it. I recommend sitting

a min of 10’ away from the 7s.

We have very similar rooms minus the fire place. I while back i moved my set up the long way like how you have yours to try it and see how it sounded compared to the narrow way that I have it. I thought the speakers were way to close to the Lp and didn’t sound nearly as good. Also having your couch against a wall makes that even worse. You should try moving it the narrow way in front of the fire place to try it. I recommend sitting a min of 10’ away from the 7s.

My thoughts exactly.

We have very similar rooms minus the
fire place. I while back i moved my set up the long way like how you
have yours to try it and see how it sounded compared to the narrow way
that I have it. I thought the speakers were way to close
to the Lp and didn’t sound nearly as good. Also having your couch
against a wall makes that even worse. You should try
moving it the narrow way in front of the fire place to try it. I
recommend sitting a min of 10’ away from the 7s.

I thought the same thing along time ago , but what do I do put all my stuff infront of the fireplace ?

Also I am 10ft away from my speakers already and to be honest my 50.2 works great when it comes to movies , just like the speakers do . The only problem is music which is only used maybe 20% tops most of the time .

I have a preamp comming on Fri I want to try that out also on the music side

Stereo, Direct I thought about what I didnt like and it seems like its like in your face

I know my speakers are close but my Kef Model Fours were in the same spot and had alot more power going threw them and they never sounded like that

Alos like I said Fri I have a preamp comming I just want to see if it changes anything

These are the specs on the model fours , I should of never sold them some guy in alaska bought them and paid 900.00 for shipping they are hard to find

Specifications: Four-way, six-driver loudspeaker system with
coupled-cavity bass loading. Drive-units: 1" (25mm) soft-dome tweeter, 6.5"
(160mm) polypropylene-cone midrange unit, 2x6.5" (160mm) polypropylene-cone
lower midrange units, 2x10" (250mm) pulp-cone woofers. Crossover frequencies:
2.8kHz, 500Hz, 160Hz. Frequency response: 35Hz-20kHz ±3dB, -6dB at 32Hz. Nominal
impedance: 4 ohms. Maximum spl: 118dB. Sensitivity: 92dB/W/m. Amplifier
requirements: 50-400W.
Dimensions: 47.8" (1266mm) H by 11.8" (300mm) W
by 15.3" (390mm) D. Weight: 108 lbs (49kg).
Serial numbers of units
reviewed:
1110A & B.
Price: $5200/pair in black ash finish;
$5600/pair in rosetta burr; $6400/pair in rosewood. Approximate number of
dealers: not disclosed.
Manufacturer: KEF Loudspeakers, Maidstone,
England. Distributor: KH America Inc., 89 Doug Brown Way, Holliston, MA 01746.
Tel: (800) 352-8175. Fax: (508) 429-3600.

Stereo, Direct

How does the difference between the two modes strike you? Reason I ask is that Direct with regular two channel music will only route the music to your RF-7s and will not apply MultEQ settings, whereas Stereo mode does both. As such, Stereo mode should sound reasonably good (especially in your case since the default Audyssey response curve is tipped down in the top end) so long as Audyssey was rerun when you set up your new system.

it seems like its like in your face

To be fair, that shouldn't be a huge shock. Klipsch isn't exactly known for their laid back sound. RF-7s will leave bare everything you play; if the source material isn't up to snuff...you're going to hear it. Conversely, the"British Sound" tends to be pretty laid back and forgiving.

, I should of never sold them

If you were happy with them, probably not. It's never a great idea to trade something you enjoy for something you haven't heard.

Okay I had a little time this morning , I set it to direct and turned the sub off RF-7ll went from

60hz to full band , It does sound decent now and if I go to stereo mode it dont sound as good .

As for audyssey I know people will think Im nuts but I dont care for it , a SPL meter seems to do

the trick for me .

The preamp I have comming is a EMOTIVA UMC-1 the only reason I bought it was to try it out and get the 40%

discount card so I can buy there new model comming out next year

Im out of time this morning I will play around more later when I get home

Okay I had a little time this morning , I set it to direct and turned the sub off RF-7ll went from 60hz to full band

AFAIK, none of that would have made any difference if you had listened in direct mode previously. For a two channel source, Direct Mode is supposed to always utilize the RF-7s full range and not use the sub. As such, changing the XO and disabling the sub shouldn't have had any impact.

It does sound decent now and if I go to stereo mode it dont sound as good .

Interesting. That's the exact opposite of what I would expect, since as stated, the Audyssey curve does tip down the top end, which should make things less in your face.

As for audyssey I know people will think Im nuts but I dont care for it

Just a little bit nuts [:P] It isn't perfect, but IMO it's a definite improvement. Of course, you could just disable the Audyssey EQ altogether and see what you think.

The preamp I have comming is a EMOTIVA UMC-1

Well, Emotiva uses their own auto-setup system, so hopefully you'll have better results.

Do you think its foolish of me to go from a Integra 50.2 to a UMC-1

I think it unlikely that the change will make the difference between Audio Hell and Audio Nirvana given that they're both presumably competently engineered products; on the other hand, the aesthetics are nice given that it matches your other equipment.

Also, regarding EmoQ vs Audyssey, from a little light searching, it would appear EmoQ may be far less sophisticated than MultEQ. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing however is up to your ears to decide.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1201243

Do you think its foolish of me to go from a Integra 50.2 to a UMC-1

I do not have any experience with the Integra 50.2.

I will say the UMC-1 is a great sounding pre/pro but it does have its quirks.

Still waiting for another upgrade to hopefully correct remaining problems with it.

As far as being able to tune your system the Umc-1 gives you more than all the avr's or pre/pro's I have used.

How many band eg is the EmoQ vs Audyssey? You could get a

normal 10band standalone eq and run it in-between your avr and your emo xpa3

(rca from your pre out front left and right to the eq inputs then the outputs

on the eq to the xpa-3). Just have it on bypass when you are watching movies

and on when you’re listing to music. If I

was going to make my set up into a serious 2 channel/ ht that’s what I would do.

Honestly it’s hard for me to go to just basic 2 channel music and not be underwhelmed.

I’m way too spoiled with that multi-channel sound filling the room to a plain

right left stereo. So I have been buying

SACD music and it’s awesome. It the music we love redone in multichannel sound.