Now a proud owner of dark cherry RF-7s!!!!

Lpusedyou

Be-A-utiful!!! Wow. I really like those. Love my cherry original 7's, but those are gorgeous.

They remind me of "decorator" Heritage gear. Just stunning. If not for the corner blemish, the grills would never see the light of day in my house!!

Congrats!!

Ps- an added bonus is that 7s kick A LOT of tail in the sound department too!!!

Thanks again kind sir. Yea I think even with the corner blemish I might keep the grills off most of the time (except when my friends are all over playing pool and ping pong in the adjacent room connected by a half wall...they're animals that can't be trusted). The room they're in is very dark most of the time due to blacked out windows and dim lighting so you only see the corner damage when up close and looking at it. Can't really tell from the listening position.

On a side note - what do you think a good price for these is? Not that I'm at all uncomfortable with what I spent on them but I'm a curious dude. Chime in with what you would all individually pay for them if you were buying them used from someone. With knowledge of the corner damage of course because I knew that before buying as well and of course used to it to haggle the price a bit.

Only because you asked I would have paid about 500 tops for

the pair because of that corner. Ones in good shape sell for about 800-1000 I think.

I have seen some that sell for around 600 with dented cones but you can replace

the driver for about 150.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[

Only because you asked I would have paid about 500 tops for the pair because of that corner. Ones in good shape sell for about 800-1000 I think. I have seen some that sell for around 600 with dented cones but you can replace the driver for about 150.

Oh wow, looks like you're definitely a stickler eh? I mean the speaker sells for like $850 each brand new on Amazon right now (since it's the newer Classic RF-7 and all). I definitely didn't get THAT good of a deal then if 500-600 is what you'd pay. I did ask though so I appreciate your input. I can tell I will get my money's worth out of these babies already [:D]

[

Only because you asked I would have paid about 500 tops for the pair because of that corner. Ones in good shape sell for about 800-1000 I think. I have seen some that sell for around 600 with dented cones but you can replace the driver for about 150.

Oh wow, looks like you're definitely a stickler eh? I mean the speaker sells for like $850 each brand new on Amazon right now (since it's the newer Classic RF-7 and all). I definitely didn't get THAT good of a deal then if 500-600 is what you'd pay. I did ask though so I appreciate your input. I can tell I will get my money's worth out of these babies already Big Smile

Well they are definitely worth more than 500. I’m just

saying on the used market with the smashed corner. Because they normally go for

800-1000 is mint condition I think.

All that matters is that you’re happy. I’m sure they sound

amazing.

Plus I’m not the authority on used gear.[:D]

That dark finish looks amazing. Best finish on a Reference speaker by far, IMHO bested only by the Icon cabernet finish and the Palladiums. It's too bad that it was so hard to duplicate consistently. If you plan on looking for an RC-7 and RS-7's, I would be tempted to look for them in black ash. They would probably blend better with that dark of a finish than the lighter cherry or maple...

Thanks again for the kind words all. So I acquired the Parasound HCA 1205A (140w x 5) on Friday night and hooked it up. The guy threw in his 5 monster interconnects too so that was nice. Before buying we hooked it up to his Axiom speakers and tested each channel one by one at a pretty high volume. It sounded great and there no hum, distortion or anything like that. The unit itself was in great condition too, a friggin tank.

I took it home and hooked it up to the pre-outs on my Onkyo and then the speakers. Powered it up and did some stereo listening first and wow it really did sound a lot better than my Onkyo. Switch to 5 channel stereo and sounded amazing as well. I knew on my Onkyo before this same switch from 2 channel to 5 channel stereo mode showed a clear difference in power level. With the Parasound it didn't lose anything and just kept chugging the music with deep lows and great highs. I then switched to my reference scene from Ninja Assassin (the opening scene) and it sounded awesome as well.

Afterwards, a friend and I were just watching some Modern Family (in Dolby I believe) and about 5 min before the end of the episode the center channel started acting very strange. It sounded almost as if a cable was loose because the sound was there but whenever a person started to shout or even talk at a higher volume it would cut out. Then it would come back and start to cut out again. Wtf, I thought. I checked all cables and they seemed fine. I looked at the level knob on the back of the Parasound and all but the center channel were at the max, the center was about 80%. So I turned it up to max and the stuttering/flakiness went away. I thought to myself - whew that was easy. Yea...not so much. The rest of that night I watched about an hour more of 5 channel content and it never did it again. However, the next morning I went to watch another show and bingo it started happening again in the same way. Not really sure what would cause this since I'm very much a newbie when it comes to amps. I am going to move the center channel speaker to another port in the back of amp and try to determine if it's just that channel on the amp or the pre-out port on the Onkyo (seems unlikely?).

• Moderators

Congrats on the new amp. That stinks that you are having some trouble with your setup.

To help troubleshoot, try switching your center connection (just on the amp side) with another channel on the amp. If the crackle does not move to the other speaker, the amp is the problem. If the crackle moves to a new speaker, the problem could be with your Onkyo or maybe even a bad interconnect cable.

Congrats on the Parasound. [Y]

I am going to move the center channel speaker to another port in the back of amp and try to determine if it's just that channel on the amp or the pre-out port on the Onkyo (seems unlikely?).

Don't call yourself a 'newbie when it comes to amps'......troubleshooting came easy to you. Sounds like you're already going to do something similar, but switch the center speaker and a main on the Parasound. Anything to narrow it down.

Maybe it's a loose connection inside the center channel. It's been known to happen.

Yea I definitely plan to do that. It's so hard to test though since it does not ALWAYS happen. For instance, I watched like 3 hours of shows last night and it didn't do it at all. Sigh, so I have to wait for it to do it then switch the connections. Also, is it safe to do all of this with receiver and amp on? I have been turning the amp off and then messing with connections for fear of something blowing or cracking and what not. I don't think it's a bad interconnect cable since there are very nice, high end, shielded, Monster cables that the guy gave me with the amp. And yea, troubleshooting does come somewhat easy to me because I'm in IT. Networking and Communications Management major here so I am a nerd and want to figure everything thing out and try all possibilities lol.

I don't think it's a bad interconnect cable since there are very nice, high end, shielded, Monster cables that the guy gave me with the amp.

I meant the connections inside the center channel speaker. If other troubleshooting doesn't reveal anything, it's worth checking out the connections to each woofer, tweeter, and the crossover inside your RC-35.

Cripes! Looks like it wasn't the center channel speaker. It just crept up in my rear speaker. It appears to be the center channel or section on the amp itself. It's like a slight crackling and is very intermittent. As soon as I noticed it I checked all connections and the level knob on the back of the amp and boom - it was back to normal again. Sigh, back to the drawing board.

Simply beautiful! Love the dark cherry. I have some solid cherry bookcases with a dark finish like that. The friend who made them for me does great work, and I imagine a competent furniture restorer would be able to fill the corner, place some new veneer and match the stain, so that it would be very hard to tell they had been repaired.

Never heard RF7s, but would like to some day...

Bruce