Check these Jubilees out.

Rudy81

. I would like a pretty pair made from wood. If anyone wants to try to make some 403's out of wood I have some 403's to take measurements from. ...

That would be an interesting challange and build. I have been doing some experiments on shaping rigid foam. It looks like you can get a fair degree of accuracy and the materials are cheap enough to experiment with. Soon I will be experimenting with coatings to give the foam a harder surface. For varous reasons, fiberglass is not an option. However, the folks who make stage props and RC plane enthusiasts have some interesting concoctions that can be applied to harden the surface.

If you are serious about making the measures of the horn's dimensions, I would be quite interested. Let me warn you however, I would not be able to make it out wood.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tom,

We have a Three Axis Foam cutting machine if you would like some Foam molds cut. All I need is the dimensions. I also sent Seti an email in reference to the wooden ones.

W. C.

How does that work? Is the foam mold you cut the actual horn that you'd bolt the driver to?

Have to admit, they are beautiful speakers, visually that is....... If Klipschorns are a 10 out of 10, would the Jub's be 10.5 ??? I don't know much about them myself.

I'd say the Jubs are a 9, or 9.5 on a 10 point scale, and the khorn would be more like a 7.

Mike,

The Foam would be the mold to lay up Epoxy Resin on and would probably use Carbon Fibre rather than Fiberglass as a medium. It should be pretty substantiaI in comparison to Fiberglass. I have a few feet of it in the shop. In another lifetime I built the RC Models and some UAV prototypes, that Tom mentioned.

W. C.

the more I read the ad, the more I like it. 8K. you get two amps he says cost 2800 new for the pair. jub money is now 5200. it sounds like he is including two horn configurtions. with a driver for each. and of course, we can't forget the higly sought after passive crossover.....thats got to be worth at least a grand. so jub money is 4200 for the jubes and two sets of horns and two drivers. don't need two sets of horns and drivers so if one set can get sold for 700 bucks, jub money is only 3500. sounds like this might be a good deal after all.

you get two amps he says cost 2800 new for the pair.

New 2800 what can yoy get for them today? Stop talking me into them. I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can't I can'... But I want to Gezzzzzzzzzzzz!

Did you see his White LaScalas not sure if I like them or not?

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1328574279&/Klipsch-LaScala-Barn-Owl-White

Tom,

We have a Three Axis Foam cutting machine if you would like some Foam molds cut. All I need is the dimensions. I also sent Seti an email in reference to the wooden ones.

W. C.

How does that work? Is the foam mold you cut the actual horn that you'd bolt the driver to?

Mike: The throat-end of the horn would be made out of MDF. It needs to strong so you can bolt the driver to it. You then attach the rigid foam to this plate.

The foam will gouge unless it is coated/hardened in some fashion.

For my "experiments" I don't mind a Frankestein looking horn. It is good enough for testing.

In terms of copying/cloning the K-403 Horn: keep the following in mind (assuming my memory is a precision instrument).

The K-403 is a 1.4 inch throat (not 2 inch like the K-410 or K-510)

The K-403 horn is constant dispersion in the horizontal (i.e., the on-axis and off-axis req response is comparable). However it has a collapsing vertical response (i.e., the dispersion in the vertical becomes narrower as you go up in freq.). This is in contrast to what Roy calls a constant coverage horn (where horizontal and vertical are both controlled). The K-402 and K-510 are constant coverage horns (in their respective bandwidths).

It`s not like I am selling tickets at $500.00 a seat to listen to me channel PWK from the grave here. My understanding was that one of the goasl for a Jub was be a two way and as such it had to reach higher than a Khorn. that`s all. Sorry if thats how it seemed.

The speakers in question would seem to me to have a history and be a fair deal. I hope someone on the forum can find a home for them.Best regards Moray James.

BTW Mike just likes caps lock. He is very passionate about all things audio. I hope he finds what he is looking for...

I don't get it. Based on his description of this 'world class' speaker system I'm surprised someone hasn't scooped them up. Sounds like he is describing a $150,000 set of speakers. I'm sure those Jubs sound very good, but claiming that there is no smoother sounding speaker in the world is a little much.

He seems just a little angry at the world. Not sure doing business with someone in that state of mind would be wise.

BTW Mike just likes caps lock. He is very passionate about all things audio. I hope he finds what he is looking for...

I don't get it. Based on his description of this 'world class' speaker system I'm surprised someone hasn't scooped them up. Sounds like he is describing a $150,000 set of speakers. I'm sure those Jubs sound very good, but claiming that there is no smoother sounding speaker in the world is a little much.

He seems just a little angry at the world. Not sure doing business with someone in that state of mind would be wise.

If I was selling my prized jubs I'd be a little pissed. The ad reads a little crazed if it was a simple ad they would be sold by now. Wish I had a spare $8k.

Of course, I could cancel that order of TAD's I have...

I'm not sure that would be wise... [:^)]

I'm thinking that a bit more than 1/2 the listening value of the Jubs ARE the TADs on the K-402s, with a good amp that can bring out the top end cleanly, (i.e., one with high slew rate and low output impedance).

Chris

I think this is a great deal, I would buy these in a second if they weren't so ........ ugly. Of course you could reveneer them but then you would devalue them and change a piece of history. Someday if jubilees, get the recognition they deserve, and are as good as people say which I am sure they are. These will only go up in value. I have a funny feeling that Klipsch will discontinue the Jub as it appears to be a complicated build. Watch then what happens to the prices. Someone really should buy these, "jimmy was an oak man, you can be too"