jordan122345

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

All of this is good advice, but given that so few RC-7s were made and there aren't alot of Original RF-7s being sold it's a sellers market.

With all due respect, I have to kindly disagree. I believe it is still a buyer's market. Although they don't pop up continually, I do see RF-7's and RC-7's pop up all over the country with some frequency. I have no facts to support it but my guess is there were plenty of RC-7's made (someone correct me if I"m wrong). They are just great speakers so they are often kept by their original owners until they are forced to sell them (downsizing of home, wife says they have to go, divorce etc).

I've seen RC-7's in almost new condition sell for as low as $200 and RF-7's sell for as low as $400. Is that normal? Nope but they can be had and those deals you have to be willing to wait for. I would still have to say that it's definitely a buyer's market because our economy is still in the toilet and isn't coming out of it anytime soon.

• Moderators

Is it unheard of to have another forum member checkout a deal and have them ship the item for a price of course.Just curious

Not at all. Nothing wrong with asking, worst they can say is no. There have been many of us that have done just that for another forum member. I drove 30 minutes to pick up a pair of Quartets for a forum member and then drove them to his house which was another 1.5hr drive from my house. It was an excuse for me to hear his multiple setups (hint....it's the guy in Florida with the HUGE signature LOL). At that time, I had never heard any heritage gear. I made a new friend and heard some great equipment and gained new knowledge in the process.

I have even heard of guys using the Pony Express. Typically this is often a pair of older Heritage speakers that need to travel across the country. Sometimes there are multiple forum members involved as they are travelling and hand them off to one another to get them to their destination. This is much more complex but I have heard it done before.

Wow...

Not to throw fuel on this fire...but apparently this set of RB-75s lasted about 4 hours on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-RB-75-Main-bookshelf-speakers-/260909167840?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item3cbf65f4e0

(I can't find an end date, but I do a daily search for RB-75, saw these in the completed items, and I know they weren't there yesterday)

Went for 750 bucks.

First off, I'm amazed at how far this thread has gone. It's a true testament to the willingness of members to help another find a good deal and more importantly to make an educated decision. I commend you all. I must agree with what many have said in respect to patience and limits. I also do not think that an RC7 should fetch much more than 400-450. Newish, minty, whatever the case. It's an amazing speaker, don't get me wrong but it does not command 80-85% of retail, ever, IMO. I purchased all of the following together as a set, in minty shape - RF7's, RS7's, RC7, RSW15, half cherry and half not for the whopping total of....wait for it...1400. And recently rounded out the set with another pair of RS7's for 375. Does this happen everyday? No. Is this still a buyers market with respect to higher end equipment? Absolutely. All of these were acquired within the last six months, with the RS7's as recently as two days ago. Someone mentioned it earlier in this thread but patience is truly the key. Know what you want, don't take second best, have a limit, and most importantly be patient. It can pay off, big time. Also, with all of that being said, I did mention in the first post to this thread that there was an RC7 on Audiogon for 325 and it's still there the last I checked. Has no one jumped on this?! PS: being newish to this I apologize if mentioning what I paid is rude. I simply wanted to help someone understand that there are still huge deals to be had, with diligence and patience. Regards- Trev

I too have seen the RC-7 on Audiogon for 325...however, not willing to ship is the death of getting any money on the RC-7. This is why people get the RF-7 series at such good prices. People are usually forced to go low so that they can move the speakers. Myself, I picked up my orginial set of RF-7s with an RC-7 and RSW-15 for 1500 dollars. This is why that RC-7 went high on ebay, people are willing to ship them, and if I were the buyer, I would damn well make sure that they have insurance on that pacakge.

Also, IMO, most people say the cherrys are worth more money, but from what I've been seeing the Black ash ones seem to be going for more money on ebay. Also, what is up with the Maple RF-7s on Audiogon for 1600 bucks? I don't think he will ever move them at that price, regaurdless if its a rare finish or not.

• Moderators

Trev, I think your comments are right on and believe your testimony backs up what many of us have shared about patience and that there are definitely sweet deals to be had. You scored an amazing setup for a superb price! Nice going. Nothing rude about mentioning what you paid. That's definitely acceptable here. The only thing we try to shy away from regarding price is negotiating on price in public (use PM or Email instead) and telling someone in the Garage Sale they are asking too much. Other than that, talking price is welcomed. Thanks for sharing and contributing to the forum.

• Moderators

Trev, I had emailed that seller on Audiogon on Saturday and have not heard back from them. I'm guessing they may be a business and could hear back from them tomorrow.

Hi, I'm a little bit of a drive from you. Can you email me photos of the RC-7?
Can you tell me what cosmetic issues it has? Scratches, dings, dents etc. Do
you have the speaker grill and if so, any snags in the grill or broken grill
pegs?

I noticed too that the rating was 5/10 and the seller states it looks "used". The photos will tell the condition. If the speaker has a major scratch on the top and the top will never be shown, does it matter? If the scratches are on the front and the grills will always be on is it worth the deep discount of $325 obo? It's definitely a great price but it might look like it's been rode hard and put up wet. Again, it all depends on what damage it has and whether or not that damage will be seen in Jordan's setup. I'll let you know if I hear back from the seller.

Gorm, I'd say that you got a sweet deal as well! It should be noted, that although I was very decisive, I did still take a week negotiating with this person ( asking price was 2500) before we actually made it happen. I couldnt agree with you more that those RF7's for 1575, SHOULD never sell at that price. They may, but let a great one help us all if they do. Cause that'd be ridiculous. And with shipping? Whos really that fond of the Maple anyways? Youthman, trying to share what I can, with experience comes wisdom, right?

I love this forum and although I may have nary a multitude of experience to speak of, I hope that I can still add to this forum through MY experiences.

All of this is good advice, but given that so few RC-7s were made and there aren't alot of Original RF-7s being sold it's a sellers market.

With all due respect, I have to kindly disagree. I believe it is still a buyer's market. Although they don't pop up continually, I do see RF-7's and RC-7's pop up all over the country with some frequency. I have no facts to support it but my guess is there were plenty of RC-7's made

I was in the market at the time these came out and stores had only one or two on hand ( this was prior to the internet selling boom) and they had to be shipped from Hope, Arkansas so Klipsch could keep track of supply...Keep in mind this was immediately after 9/11 and stores didn't keep big stocks of merchandise, and the Home Theater market had a major lull especially when it came to speakers, for quite sometime...Also factor in that RC-7 aren't reported to ship well and the RF-7s are too heavy, then the key is to find them in the local market where they become a Great Bang for your Buck.

Again, I think you are giving some good advice and I am a big fan of wheel-n-dealing, but I contend if you are lucky enough to find any of these speakers in the local market, there is a legitimate price range and no one should feel guilty about what the are asking or for what they will pay because it IS about supply and demand...Sometimes I see people grieifing folks on here for asking too much and they aren't even the ones trying to buy the product. [:S]

The RB-75's definitely do not come up too often and almost always yield a high premium because of it.

Then again, these were $1200 new, now selling for $750.

I own two pair of RB-75s and they are rarer than the RC-7 because most stores didn't even have a pair on display much less a way of the public knowing about them.. It took me months to get each pair. I also NEVER pay full price for anything but agree at $1200 they were comparable if not better than anything else on the market at that price especially paired with an RC-7.

• Moderators

no one should feel guilty about what the are asking or for what they will pay because it IS about supply and demand

You are totally correct. I'm not saying they aren't worth a certain amount, I'm just saying I personally wouldn't pay that much since I'm cheap. Haha.

Sometimes I see people grieifing folks on here for asking too much and they aren't even the ones trying to buy the product.

For awhile, we had a problem with that in the Garage Sale. People would comment on how overpriced they were asking and they weren't even interested in buying it. I think we've done pretty good at discouraging those types of comments.

With all due respect, I have to kindly disagree. I believe it is still a buyer's market.

Although not the same speakers, this thread is more proof that it is still a buyer's market. Cash talks and people all over are hurting for cash.

The speakers in that thread are definitely NOT the RF-7s/RC-7 & RB-75s to which I was referring.