What center and surrounds to go with RF7's. Opinions needed

jordan122345

Okay so I just got some Klipsch RF7's and I want to try and find some RS7's and an RC7, but they are getting pretty hard to find so it seems.So my question is could I make a RC62 and some RS52's or RS62's work with the RF7's or no.Now I know they RS7,RC7, and the RF7's are perfectly sound matched.Also I just ordered 2 RW-12D's.I will try out the RW-12D's and see how I like um.Since I got them at such a good price, I should be able to recoupe my money and find a really good sub or 2 decent ones if needed.Any opinions would be great.I did see that there are some RS7's in the garage sale and I pmed the guy and no response for 2 days.And the RC7 there are a few on ebay but both pretty far away and would need to be shipped.Which sounds like it may not be a good idea on the shipping part at least on the RC7 anyways.Thanks again Ron

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

Here are my two cents...(worth less than 1 cent during these economic times) [:P]

I want to try and find some RS7's and an RC7, but they are getting pretty hard to find so it seems.

Here is a pair of RS-7's for $400 obo (cheaper than the two currently on Ebay). Link

could I make a RC62 and some RS52's or RS62's work with the RF7's or no.

I would NOT recommend the RC-62 with the RF-7's for two reasons. 1) They have totally different drivers from different series so there will likely be a pretty noticable difference in sound. 2) The RC-62 will not be able to keep up with the RF-7's. Don't skimp on your center since about 80% of everything that happens in a movie comes through that speaker. Yes, it's that important so for HT, this is not the corner to cut.

• Moderators

I just searched craigslist in the entire USA and showing no results for any RS-7's. They don't pop up too often.

IMO, if needed, the RS-52's would work fine as surrounds for that setup...just don't cut corners on the center and get the matching RC-7. You will be glad you did.

I just searched craigslist in the entire USA and showing no results for any RS-7's. They don't pop up too often.

IMO, if needed, the RS-52's would work fine as surrounds for that setup...just don't cut corners on the center and get the matching RC-7. You will be glad you did.

+1

You won't miss out on timbre matching for the surrounds. Some RS-52s or 62s will work just fine as surrounds, but your center should be an RC-7 if possible. Some have used an RC-64 and that has worked well for them. Some have hated it with the 7s.

• Moderators

Do you have a link to these observations and are we talking about the RC-64 or RC-64II?

I've read that too here in the forums but do not know of a particular thread where it was mentioned. If I remember correctly, I believe they were using the RF-7 with the original RC-64. Some did not like that combo but I remember reading a few who did.

the rc-7 is a great center, i really do love it. I can compare it to the rs-3 or rs-3 II, just with a lot more depth, fantastic, dont skimp on the center in this match up as i think you would only disappoint yourself.

Surrounds, i love the rs-7's for one reason out of all the other surrounds i have owned.....they dont sound small. Of all of klipshs dedicated surrounds, they are the only ones to ever feature 8" drivers. Now, with that said...RB-5's, probably much easier to come by will sound just as good and be a great fit. Keep in mind that the rb-5's are direct radiating while the rs-7's are bipole, dipole, ugg i always confuse them but in either case its a different sound.

Again, i wouldnt skimp on the center. I would dare to say that you could use an rc-3 in the mean time, i thought they sonically sounded very similar but just a difference of depth and size of sound. rc-3's are fairly common and can be had for about 100-125.

Costs:
I sold a pair of RS-7's for $400 in 9/10 condition
RC-7's usually go for around $350-$450 it seems in good condition. This sucker is heavy as shit too.

Good luck

... Some have used an RC-64 and that has worked well for them. Some have hated it with the 7s.

Do you have a link to these observations and are we talking about the RC-64 or RC-64II? Thanks. Btw, I agree that the larger surrounds would work and the key is to find a matching center channel.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/154448.aspx

That's the most recent discussion about the 64 versus an RC-7 mod. The OP hated the 64. Embedded on page 1 there is a link to someone that traded in his RC-7 for an RC-64 and loves it. I don't recall nor did I read close enough to determine which version. If the OP from this thread doesn't want to wait for an RC-7 to become available, the RC-64 (version I or II) is worth consideration as some have found it to be a nice match.

So how would a KEF 202c work as the center channel to go along with the RF7's.The guy I bought the RF7's has this center in perfect shape for sale.Would this be any better or worse than the RC7. Also he has his rear speakers up for sale too.They are KEF Q7's. Would they be any better or worse than the RS7's.Thanks as always Ron

You are right in that RS7's don't show up very often and neither does the Rc7. But, as others have pointed out they are matched perfectly and you'd be best suited waiting until they do pop up rather than getting something that you may not be happy with. I just picked up another pair of RS 7's off Audiogon yesterday (anxiously awaiting their shipment ;) and I did also see an RC 7 on there as well for 325. Take a look.

• Moderators

Okay so there is a set of RS7's on ebay and they are BRAND NEW in box for $540 plus $110 shipping.Is this way to much for these speakers or no.

It depends on if the nick in these are worth $150.00.

I would also try to contact these sellers to see if they would be willing to ship.

RS-7 in Kentucky in perfect condition for $350 obo - Link He also has a perfect condition RC-7 for $325 obo. If he is willing to ship, I bet he would take $600 for both, maybe less. Worth contacting him.

Or if you really want to save some money, here is a pair of RS-7's for $250 obo. Link They don't get much cheaper than that.

I told you I'm a scavenger (aka tightwad).

Thanks I emailed the guy with the RC7 and the RS7's, we will see what he says.I would think it shouldnt be a problem since he is willing to put them on ebay if they dont sell on craigslist.Seriously how do you always find these deals.I would say you are a very smart shopper not a cheapo.

• Moderators

Seriously how do you always find these deals.

My local deals come from my Craigslist app on my phone. I get notified whenever anything Klipsch is posted in the 4 closest areas to me.

The ones I listed I found using searchtempest.com. Allows you to search all of Craigslist using a zip code and you set the distance of how far you want to look. I just set it to Any.

Be sure to get photos, ask about any issues, dents, dings, creases, broken pegs etc.....I would also see if you can even call him on the phone. When I'm dealing with someone I don't know on Craigslist and asking to ship, you are at risk because you are sending them money out of state trusting they will ship you the product. I've only done it a few times but it was when I could not find the deal locally and it was a great deal.

Keep us informed