MMMMMM... A big pot of Chili luvin...

jhoak

Let me put in the cookbook. Cigarbum

I would but there is no written recipe. It's something I kind of build on the fly.

I have several things that I've made enough times over the years that I can get them pretty consistent but there is no recipe.

I have to say that just behind habaneros her's were the hottest d@mn things I have ever put in my mouth. Not a lot of pepper "flavor" per se' but OMG they were wicked hot

Assuming the ladies seed stock was the real deal, perhaps the heat just overwhelmed you. IMHO, Thai chilis are the most flavorful on the planet. Average working lunch in Thailand is just rice and Prik Nam Pla, fresh Thai chilis in Thai fish sauce. Yum.

Liveing in far northern Thailand (Udorn Thani) for a year and in the area for another three. That's where my heat tolerance was formed. I used to be able to get fresh Thai chilis in the DFW area, but haven't been able to locate any in the Galveston Bay Area since moving here. I really miss them.

Thai food without Prik Nam Pla is like barbecue without smoke or pancakes without syrup...very disappointing and not authentic.

Dave

Sounds like that Jeff needs to down a day early when we plan the next "Klipsch Hunting, Fishing and Choral Society Annual Wall Of Voodoo Testing and Chili Feast"

The left & right H pairs are under construction.... Finally got the garage sorted out...... total of 5 pairs of H's to rebuild.... Need some chili to kick start my mornings..... Maybe I'll do a test batch of the "jhoak chili"..... [:D]

• Moderators

I would but there is no written recipe. It's something I kind of build on the fly.

That's the problem I have I don't use recipes unless I'm trying someone else's, the other side of that is it is never exactly the same, don't know if that's good or bad.

I’ve always felt that one of the “marks” of a competent cook was the ability to make certain specialties without the benefit of a recipe or instructions.

My ex’s grandmother made the very best biscuits that I have ever shoved in my face. I once asked her for the recipe and she said to me “Honey there ain’t no recipe but I can teach you how to make em”. My mother makes a terrific pie crust without a recipe. In both cases they’ve built these things all of their lives and just know by “feel” how much of the various ingredients are required.

By and large these recipes are either passed down from generation to generation or start out as experiments that get refined over time. In either case rarely does the exact recipe get recorded for posterity.

In my own case I have a number of dishes that I just make. There isn’t a written recipe. I’ve made and refined them over a LOT of years. They call for a pinch of this and a handful of that. They also require that the maker (me) is tasting and adjusting from start to finish. I make a basic “southern style” potato salad that there is no recipe for yet pretty much EVERY family gathering I get asked to bring it. I usually make 5+ pounds of it and always take home an empty bowl.