Random rant about black bars when I watch movie!

carbon summit

A movie place near me has a $14.99 a month all you can watch deal. I joined since its a locally owned place so I figure give my money to them instead of Red Box.

Anyway I've watched a ton of movies over Christmas break and have become really annoyed about the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen as I watch movies. I have a 52" but only watch 42" of it when I watch movies. That sucks!!!

I propose they make TVs wider so that there is no black bars. I realize that 1.85 or 2.35 aspect would change the size of TVs needed so I say they need to standardize which they use to make movies so all movies from now on fit on the screen. I'm tired of 20% of my TV going unused!!!!

OK pointless rant, but it does bug me! [:)]

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don' understand the 16:9 aspect since movies are not filmed as such.

I suppose the TV production companies lobbied for 16:9, so the TVs are that ratio.

I don't mind the black bars. I would rather watch the original ratio than pan and scan.

jerol

• Moderators

That was one of the deciding factors for me when I was building my HT and decided to go with a 2.35:1 screen. I too wonder if they will ever introduce a cinescope TV. I do not believe they will ever "standardize" an aspect ratio because for a director, choosing an aspect ratio provides artistic liberty. Do I buy into all that I just said....nope. I think it's pretty lame myself. IMO, they need to make it all 2.35:1. [:D]

My son and I just finished re-watching The Dark Night. Talk about goofy aspect ratios...the director actually changes aspect ratio throughout the film switching from 16:9 to 2.35:1. So in my setup, when the movie switches to 16:9, I have the top and bottom part of the image extend beyond my screen.

A movie place near me has a $14.99 a month all you can watch deal. I joined since its a locally owned place so I figure give my money to them instead of Red Box.

Anyway I've watched a ton of movies over Christmas break and have become really annoyed about the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen as I watch movies. I have a 52" but only watch 42" of it when I watch movies. That sucks!!!

I propose they make TVs wider so that there is no black bars. I realize that 1.85 or 2.35 aspect would change the size of TVs needed so I say they need to standardize which they use to make movies so all movies from now on fit on the screen. I'm tired of 20% of my TV going unused!!!!

OK pointless rant, but it does bug me! Smile

post-27215-13819685027286_thumb.jpg

OK pointless rant, but it does bug me! Smile

try this one ....but cost some good $$$ I guess.............Philips 21:9-LCD 56PFL9954H

post-53055-13819685030056_thumb.jpg

Don't get me started on this.

Heh, I clearly remember the day I was in a high-end AV store about 10 years ago when larger screens\high def was just getting going. I was getting the spiel from a salesman and after about 10 minutes of me mostly complaining about the wasted screenspace, he got frustrated and called me a -

"Anal retentive f**k". LOL, I'm still chuckling about that. Needless to say, I didn't purchase from him that day. But it's all good, he's a good guy, I still goto that shop.

That Phillips size intrigues the crap out of me. It must cost about 20 gillion dollars. Be glad you don't have cable "stretchovision" whereby 4 x 3 aspects turn into 16 x 9 zooms and 4 x 3's get stretched to 16 x 9 and 16 x 9's get squeezed to 4 x 3. On top of that some of the commercials are using in-between aspects so in 16 x 9 they are somewhat fat and in 4 x 3 they are somewhat skinny. Then there are the 2.35 x 1 movies reduced to 16 x 9, loosing almost half the picture and generating "unacceptable grain". Then there is overscan on the sets themselves. Most of the LCD's are set to 2.5% to cut off the top data bar but other older tube sets are up to 20%. Almost every public hospital waiting room, car dealer, repair shop are using "stretchovision " techniques to fill the screen which give me a headache.

JJK

I don' understand the 16:9 aspect since movies are not filmed as such.

I suppose the TV production companies lobbied for 16:9, so the TVs are that ratio.

I don't mind the black bars. I would rather watch the original ratio than pan and scan.

jerol

I watch movies in the orignal ratio too which is why I get the black bars. All the options my TV gives me to fit the content to the screen are not acceptible so I live with the black bars rather than stretch the pic or cut off some of the pic.

That Panasonic TV would be the way to go, maybe in a few years we'll see more TVs like that.

Until the price of the 21:9 TVs drop a guy would be better off buying a huge 16:9 and having the black bars since it would be cheaper and you'd end up with about the same size of picture either way.

The other thing is I think you'd just end up with black bars on the sides instead of the top and bottom when watching TV or DVDs that were made in 16:9.

I guess as long as there isn't a standard everyone uses for everything black bars are just a reality we'll have to live with.

was going to pull out my TV tube trouble shooting guide to lend a hand...the guide points to various tubes based on what you see on the screen...horizontal bars a very common problem...but I see we are talking a different type of black bar.

There should be a screen size button on your tv remote use it to fill the screen .

There should be a screen size button on your tv remote use it to fill the screen .

That distorts the picture, stretching it or it cuts part of the picture off. I'd like to see the picture the way it was intended to be seen by the director without wasted screen.

last time I went to a black bar I got my @ss kicked

You try to dance with their dates?

If thats an Animal House reference I think they danced with his date!

Yeah had to twist it to make it fit. Classic movie........don't remember if it has black bars though.[:D]

Yeah, the 80" has been out for a few months now. It's huge. Since I sit 17 feet back, 80" is the size I would like, but I prefer plasma over LCD and, more importantly, I feel the matte screen finish on the Sharps, while minimizing reflections, degrades picture quality. Yellow pixel arguments aside, the Quattrons do have a pretty good picture though.

We'll see what companies show off at CES next week. From what I've heard, OLED is up-and-coming, albeit still unaffordable for most for many years to come.