Sub for RF 52 II

Utard

I can not seem to find a setting with my AVR for 2.1 music. So I am thinking of replacing my 52's at the rear surrounds and using them on an old AVR for a 2.1 system just for music. My question is what is a sub $300 sub that would go with the RF 52 II. One that people say is a good musical one. I do not want one that can go real low. Something that will give you more of a Led Zepplin bass drum slap in the chest. I have a pair of Advent legacy's that always sounded good with music. But the surrounds are shot and I can not seem to find the same surrounds to fix. But is there a sub that can reproduce sound like that? I am thinking a sealed one might be the way to go? However I have never listened to a sealed sub.

Or even a diy project would be good. In that case then what speaker/amp and type of box volume.

I built a tuba18 to go with my Lascalas for a music only setup. It uses an 8" driver and produces a really good clear thump when called upon. The plans are $15.00 HERE. You should be able to get driver, amp and material for around your price point.

You can see my build HERE starting on about page 9 I believe.

Anyone else with any idea's? I only have an old skill saw so any tuba sub would be out.

Lava LSP12 for $287 shipped with risk free 30 day trial if you are an AVS forum member. I tried one out and returned it but not because it wasn't a good sub I just needed something to go lower for I mainly watch movies. The lava is a very musical sub and has a lot of output 35hz and up and has received many rave reviews especially for its price range. Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO one of the best musical subs klipsch ever made was the RSW-10d

I could not agree more. I just acquired a Revel B15 and the RSW tries it's best to keep up with this musical beast almost blow for blow(except below 24Hz).

New ones are all gone but you could probably find one used around $300.

If you find any used for $300.00, you better point me that way.[:o]

Problem is everyone that has one doesn't want to sell it.

I came to that conclusion quite a while back. Since I have owned my RSW-10d(3.5 years), I have only seen two or three for sale on the used market. Owner's are just not letting them go.

Very musical sub. I run two of them.

Of all the the subs I have owned(Paradigm Servo 15a, Sunfire True Subwoofer Sig., Klipsch RW-10d, Revel B15), the RSW-10d is by far the most musical with the exception of the Revel, and even against it, it makes a gallant effort.

Bill

IMHO one of the best musical subs klipsch ever made was the RSW-10d

I could not agree more. I just acquired a Revel B15 and the RSW tries it's best to keep up with this musical beast almost blow for blow(except below 24Hz).

New ones are all gone but you could probably find one used around $300.

If you find any used for $300.00, you better point me that way.Surprise

Problem is everyone that has one doesn't want to sell it.

I came to that conclusion quite a while back. Since I have owned my RSW-10d(3.5 years), I have only seen two or three for sale on the used market. Owner's are just not letting them go.

Very musical sub. I run two of them.

Of all the the subs I have owned(Paradigm Servo 15a, Sunfire True Subwoofer Sig., Klipsch RW-10d, Revel B15), the RSW-10d is by far the most musical with the exception of the Revel, and even against it, it makes a gallant effort.

Bill

That makes no sense to stop making such a desirable product?

Does anyone know of anybody making a DIY RSW-10d?

Does the good sound have to do with its odd design?

The reason for wanting this I explained in depth on the post about how Neil Young doesn't like today's sound.

To summarize I purchased some music on cd that I have not listened to since on vinyl some 25 years ago.

The music just did not sound right from what I remembered.

I thought it was the AVR, then the speakers.

Then I read a post about loudness in todays music and then got my 1st SACD and relized it is the recording on those cd's and not the AVR or speakers.

The sound on the SACD blows away the sound on those other cd's I just got. And that was just running the sound on the RF-82 II's only.

So now I am thinking that even a good sub will not even really help make those cd's sound any better?

If you find any used for $300.00, you better point me that way.Surprise

Theres a NEW cherry one on Amazon but very pricey. Surprise

WOW that is CHEAP! Oh I was referring to the shipping.

When I said odd design earlier for some reason I was thinking of the RT-10 (I think thats what it was)?

I have seen that ad before. Funny thing is the msrp on the RSW-10d was around $1200.00.Confused

Bill

Yeah I've oogled that one a time or two wondering "could this be last new one?" until I found a brand spanking new black one still sealed about 2 months ago for no where near this price.

$1,299 was msrp when it was released I think. Got my first one for $900 and thought I had made out like a thief. lol

The RSW10-d is a great sub but not a $2K sub. If I had that kinda coin laying around I'd be sweet talking an ultra13 [:D] for the HT

and to OP as far as I know there are no DIY plans for this sub floating around. sorry.

I have seen that ad before. Funny thing is the msrp on the RSW-10d was around $1200.00.Confused

Bill

Yeah I've oogled that one a time or two wondering "could this be last new one?" until I found a brand spanking new black one still sealed about 2 months ago for no where near this price.

$1,299 was msrp when it was released I think. Got my first one for $900 and thought I had made out like a thief. lol

The RSW10-d is a great sub but not a $2K sub. If I had that kinda coin laying around I'd be sweet talking an ultra13 [:D] for the HT

and to OP as far as I know there are no DIY plans for this sub floating around. sorry.

Klipsch didn't really quit making them per say.... The SW310 is the replacement with the woven woofer rather than the cerametalic. Haven't demoed it it but my brother has the SW112 and it has a really good sound. Not as fast as the 10 though. My dealer (klipsch dealer) offered me a SW310 for $600 so I'm guessing you could talk someone into that maybe even less.