Stylus cleaning question; not how to but,

USNRET

When I clean my stylus I turn the volume all the way down on my Peach pre, select an 'empty' input (I always turn it down to null before any changes) and then clean. In one of my 'moments' last night I started thinking about the act of cleaning the stylus while the Tercel phonostage was still powered. Does gentle but abrupt movements of the stylus while cleaning have any effect on the Tercel tubes?

When I clean my stylus I turn the volume all the way down on my Peach pre, select an 'empty' input (I always turn it down to null before any changes) and then clean.

No need to select an empty input. Just brush the stylus from back to front a couple of times. Been doing it that way for over 30 years. No damage to any equipment.

Mike

No need to select an empty input. Just brush the stylus from back to front a couple of times. Been doing it that way for over 30 years. No damage to any equipment.

Mike

^this...

there is also a Mr.Clean magic eraser technique that you can do once a month or so. GENTLY drop the stylus onto a Mr Clean Magic Eraser and lift straight off... do this three or four times.

Disc Doctor and various others brush and cleaner fluids. Turn the volume to zero and clean away. I've never thought about what affect leaving the volume turned up can have, the resulting noise usually reminds me for quite awhile not to do dat again. I don't run tubes but seems like setting volume to zero is a good practice.

It's funny getting all of these cleaners and various doo-dads now for my vinyl second childhood. Back in the day my typical method was to blow on the stylus and if really dirty knock the grunge off with my finger. Now I know better, but not sure the music sounds any better.

Your question is whether or not it will hurt the Tercel phono pre by cleaning the stylus with the Tercel powered up. Probably not, and you are not sending that signal through the Peach since you turn on another input. I might still turn of the gear to do a good cleaning.

Bruce