BIC sub with new klipsch?

cdub5

So I'm days away from purchasing my first klipsch speakers. I'm gonna get a pair of rf82IIl, and a rc 62II. I want to add a sub, and I'm not going to have the funds to buy a high end sub, ie SVS, velodyne etc. I came across th.e bic PL200. It gets real good reviews, for the price range, and I've had several different sales guys tel me it's a great sub . Keep in mind I'm currently using a Yamaha 8" 100w sub right now. I can get this sub for $279, new from sound distributors. Any experience/nowledge of this sub?

So I'm days away from purchasing my first klipsch speakers. I'm gonna get a pair of rf82IIl, and a rc 62II. I want to add a sub, and I'm not going to have the funds to buy a high end sub, ie SVS, velodyne etc. I came across th.e bic PL200. It gets real good reviews, for the price range, and I've had several different sales guys tel me it's a great sub . Keep in mind I'm currently using a Yamaha 8" 100w sub right now. I can get this sub for $279, new from sound distributors. Any experience/nowledge of this sub?

I don't have any direct experience with that sub but can tell you you'd probably be better of waiting and saving funds until you can afford a better sub. You got a great set of speakers so I wouldnt slouch on the sub. Most people that you read reviews from generally don't know what they are talking about and most of them probably don't have speakers as nice as your reference series. I too just tried to slouch on the my sub purchase and got a lava lsp12. I was not happy with it and it is in the same price range and very comparable to the BIC. Luckily lava offers a risk free 30 day trial so I was able to get my money back and put it towards a sub I really wanted and am extremely satisfied with it. Again just my 2 cents but maybe an official BIC owner can add something. Cheers.

your towers can dig deep, you dont really need a sub tbh, they will get you by, i lived for a year and half without subs and just relied on my towers and my power amp to give me the bass i needed.

Thanks subxero. You're always extremely helpful. Thing is, I just have a Yamaha rxv671 receiver, no power amp, and I will be using my speakers mostly for home theater and I want to hear and FEEL the explosions and bangs as much as I can financially provide.

Grew up in Jersey, now in Cali. Still have family in Jersey though. How much for one of them? I'm trying to get the sub with the fronts since this is kind of a one shot purchase for awhile. Wife not to happy bout all this. Anyway, GO GIANTS!

Btw, the sub I have now kinda sux

There is a WAF involved in getting everything at once. Otherwise they don't understand when you want to buy something else a year later. [8-)]

A lot of people are happy with the Bic subs, so let's not assume everyone is as crazy as we are about this subject.

For what its worth:

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=47&mset=45

Not horrible measurements considering its price bracket, and decent output from 32Hz on up. It actually holds its own pretty well in terms of output against the much more expensive Emotiva Xref-12 (not entirely surprising given the design of each). I'd wager Sub's Emo Ultra 12 would rate pretty close to the Xref-12. I'd also expect it would sound a bit cleaner than the BIC.

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=63&mset=66

I'd also consider the Hsu STF-1 and STF-2 for a bit more cash, mostly based on reputation.

LMAO [:D] I went through somewhat of the same ordeal/situation you have posted but I ended up winning... shhhhh, dont tell the wife that thou ;) J/K.

Anyhow, to get back you your post about Bic subs. For the price they are a very good sub! I had dual Bic Pl-200's as I had them in my HT, work quite well for HT and "ok" for music. ITs not they are that bad for music its just they are much better suited for HT IMHO. For the price of $250-270 shipped they are a very good sub with no complaints. As far as the wife factor they get a good "nod" for appearance, they are nnot to "large" and they have a good finish. I wouldnt go by the weight thou (.. not sure if this means anything to you or not but I thought I would say it if anyone wants to know), they list the sub ( PL-200 anyhow) as weighing 52lbs...NOT! I just shipped two of them to FL and with good package they only weighed 42lbs ea.

@ skally,

Considering I would only be getting one, does the bic hold up on it's own? You said you were running two. At any point were you just using one? Btw, my room is about 20x17ish, with 15 high ceiling. It's a room that opens to another but in an L formation. Viewing area it's about 15x10ish. I'm using for about 95% HT

Look at the Klipsch RW-12d from newegg.com? Sometimes as low a 299.00 free shipping.

That's what I was thinkin'.I can't imagine a better match for the money.The bic is also a good buy on a decent sub but with 82's the rw12d for $300 is like a no brainer.

Well, its kinda hard to say really.... in essence yes. it can hold its own to a point. It sounds as if you have somewhat a room layout as mine. My HT area is 16 x 25 in which 16 x 18 would be the seating area. It opens up to the kitchen area in the back portion as that room is even larger than the HT area. THe HT area has only 9ft in height accept the kitchen has about a 20 or so.

I did run one Bic Pl-200 at first. I had it corner loaded as it suited me for about 3/4 months. I then got "the bug" to add another as i placed it in the back portion of the HT area about 7/8 ft away from the seating area. The front Bic sub was about 15ft away from seating area. I would say it filled in most the gaps and gave it a much better listing area. So... one is fine but two are better ( I'm sure the wife does not want to hear that ) lol.

At the present time I am running a Premiere Acoustic PA-150 sub. Its a 15" sub that can hold its own IMHO... for now that is. Since I got my KG 5.5's I have no room in the front as I run the sub in the back portion. In the future I plan on adding another sub as well, something like the new Klipsch SW-115 that was just released or maybe a HSU or such.

I was in contact with a guy on AVS awhile back that has two Bic Pl's and also bought the Klipsch Rw-12 ( i think thats what it was anyhow) as he bought it from NewEgg that was selling them for $300 shipped. Anyhow, he can me a bit of the run down to his opinion on both. He mentioned the Klipsch had a slight advantage overall but it was close. To him the Bic had "maybe" a better bottom end but Klipsch was a better performer for both HT & music. So since I have never had the Klipsch 12 I cant compare myself. It does seem that most would reccomend the Klipsch R-12 over the Bic if it can be had for $300, so you may want to take that into concideration.

I'm not sure if any of this may help, but I thought I would at least give my experiance & thoughts anyhow.

Jeff

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, i'd wait until you can get the sub you want. Enjoy the new speakers for now.

I also agree with PSG, break her in slowly...lol. we've all been there.

Btw, my room is about 20x17ish, with 15 high ceiling.

First thought is that is a lot of space to fill. Your gonna need power and extension.

I want to hear and FEEL the explosions and bangs as much as I can financially provide.

Very understandable. But the biggest and I mean BIGGEST mistake I see people make in buying speakers is buying everything all at once. Most folks pick a budget and say "i only have this much to spend. So what can I buy" So they pick one nice item they want and then squeeze the rest in. Problem with this is that most of those squeezed in items are never what the owner really wanted so they are never truly happy and always want something else. Then at some point they buy something else and that first money spent was just thrown away.

Best advice I can give is "Be patient" Good things come to those who wait. The RF-82's are great towers. They are the ones I chose for myself and love them. They can do bass very well. More than enough to sustain you. If i were you I would put that $300 under your mattress and start saving. $10 a week, $20 a week whatever you can and then buy a sub that will happily carry you for years and years and years. Thats what I did and I have no regrets about any of my equipment.

Doesn't matter how long you stretch it out.

For example for me this is what I did.

Year 1 - bought a projector and screen. (Good screen that will last no matter the pj and the best pj I could afford. It was an Optoma HD70) But I had no sound! So I made do with an old Bose system I got free from a family member.

Year 2 - Starting finishing bonus room to be a Home Theater (blew the whole budget on the room, didn't want to waste money doing it twice)

Year 3 - Bought speakers and receiver (spent whole budget on just speakers so I won't have to ever do it again out of pure necessity)

Year 4 - Bought Home Theater Seating ( blew the whole budget so I won't need new ones for 15+ years)

Year 5 - Bought a new Projector, JVC RS45

Now - project complete

5 LONG YEARS. I know it seems like forever but it really wasn't. Now because I waited and saved for each piece I have a knock out theater that few will ever have but it took waiting and patience.

Be patient and save, you won't regret it.

...if you can wait and save a bit the new SW-115, due out any day, looks very promising @ $800ish. A bit cheaper @ $600 ish you can grab a SW-310. ... or if you are set on $300 or bust the RW-12d would be my vote.

BTW you are gonna enjoy those RF-82ii. Very good choice!

post-33580-13819686135054_thumb.jpg

Just checked newegg. Rw 12d is $499 right now. To much for me right now. I've also read and have been told by speaker professionals, (installers and speaker store salesmen, not Best Buy) that even though the Klipsch speaker line is one of the finest out there, their quality in subs does not compare to their speakers. Considering I can get the pl200 new for $279, I think this is my best current option. I have to think it will be a drastic improvement over my yamaha, 8" 100w sub that came as part of a 5.1 speakers in a box set for $150 for all 6 pieces. If I'm wrong, let me know and I'll keep what I got, but it definitely doesn't make me FEEL anything when watching movies.

For example for me this is what I did.

Year 1 - bought a projector and screen. (Good screen that will last no matter the pj and the best pj I could afford. It was an Optoma HD70) But I had no sound! So I made do with an old Bose system I got free from a family member.

Year 2 - Starting finishing bonus room to be a Home Theater (blew the whole budget on the room, didn't want to waste money doing it twice)

Year 3 - Bought speakers and receiver (spent whole budget on just speakers so I won't have to ever do it again out of pure necessity)

Year 4 - Bought Home Theater Seating ( blew the whole budget so I won't need new ones for 15+ years)

Year 5 - Bought a new Projector, JVC RS45

Now - project complete

NICE!!!

The Bic Pl-200 will be a vast improvement over the current sub you have now. I use to have an Onkyo HTIB set up a ways back as when I replaced that sub with the Bic its was pretty much a night and day differnace... in my case anyhow. To be honest thou, moving up with eighter a Bic, Klipsch or even a decent Polk will give you a major improvement or the current sub.

If you want/need a subwoofer now then the Bic PL-200 would be a great way to go. If you are patient enough I do believe the Klipsch goes on sale quite a bit, or at least that I have seen within the past few months anyhow. Or as someone suggested, you can save a bit more money as then get into say a larger Klipsch, HSU, SVS and such....just a thought thou.