New to the community

goldenear57

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and wanted to say I have enjoyed reading through the various posts and topics related to the Klipsch product. I got my first pair of Heresey's way back in '77 and as I had a passion for high end stereo equipment back in the day I still have that ear for beautifully reproduced music of all types today. In fact, my daughter got my ear for music and is now a music education teacher in Michigan. Fruit does not fall far from the tree. My lifestyle transitioned into different needs over the years, growing family, jobs etc. of which took me out of the scene a bit. Only a couple of years ago I sold my beloved pampered Heresey's to a new very appreciative young man who I still keep in contact with to see how my speakers are serving him. He reminds me of me back in '77.

Anyway, as time passed I have regretted selling those to him, even asked if he would re-sell to me, no chance for that. Klipsch seems to have that effect. [:)] So, I started looking on the outside chance of finding a equally as nice pair and I stumbled into the perfect replacements. A stunning pair of '83 BB Heresey's showed up on Craigslist in my town in like never used new condition. I could not believe it. Sequential serial numbers. $250.00!

I have since re-aquired my old Kenwood intergrated amp and tuner and could not be happier. Takes me back.

It is amazing how a quality product keeps a person coming back for more. In the day of all the compressed music on MP3's and the unnatural booming bass kids play in their cars, it truly is refreshing to see others like me are still out there that really appreciate what music reproduction is supposed to be.

Thanks for listening. [:D]

Welcome to the forum!

As these are a bit aged, you might give Bob Crites a call for some new caps for those crossovers. The old Kenwood may also be a little bland after all these years. Although it may not be a good investment to have a tune up on it, you may consider what I did for my Heresy's, and that is find a vintage tube receiver and hook it up. I had two different solid state receivers hooked to them, and wasn't satisfied. That tube receiver blew me away!

Good luck, and post some pics...

Welcome to the forum!

As these are a bit aged, you might give Bob Crites a call for some new caps for those crossovers. The old Kenwood may also be a little bland after all these years. Although it may not be a good investment to have a tune up on it, you may consider what I did for my Heresy's, and that is find a vintage tube receiver and hook it up. I had two different solid state receivers hooked to them, and wasn't satisfied. That tube receiver blew me away!

Good luck, and post some pics...

You mentioned "the old Kenwood may also be a little bland after all these years", do you think that is due to the age of the equipment? How do you (and others) think they stack up to other equipment of that time period? I think the vintage stuff sounds better than some of the new equilivant type stuff nowadays. Opinions?

EC+dAGxEoCEpA1xEHBnvCzu7GGBPpg5GYq87sBLZ

• Moderators

Welcome [Y]

To me the older equipment sounds better than the new models, for the most part, how they compare to tubes is the harder question. I think tubes can sound better but it's more of a commitment and more maintenance. imo

There are vintage amps which still sound very good but most can benefit from some circuitry refinements and all should have fresh caps installed if they are much past twenty years old, sooner if they are not SOTA components and are built with less expensive and lower quality parts. Luxman brought out a line of three amps in the latter part of the 70's which are a tour de force as far as amplifier design goes I think it is probably the best amp design I have ever come across and every single stage sounds great. My current amp is based upon this design with some added supplies and a few tweaks but the circuit is the same. So I agree that older gear can be excellent. That said there is also a lot of old crap out there to sort through.

If you get the chance have listen to a pair of the Heresy lll they are a much refined speaker over previous models. The H3 has a better woofer which goes a little deeper and is more efficient and a better tweeter which has better disperssion and it is fitted with all titanium compression driver diaphragms. Out of the box it is a really good speaker which will provide a higher level of emotional envolvment when compared to the Heresy or the Heresy ll. If you are into doing some upgrade work you might also consider the Quartet, Forte ll, KLF20 or the CF3, any one of which is a fine speaker which can be upgraded to even higher levels of performance. If you want to experience high effiency in as small a volume as possible then check out a pair of LaScalla ll speakers, they will require sub(s) to make low bass but they are very dynamic and exciting. Welcome back to your old hoby. I hope that you take the time to explore and enjoy the wonder that is sound and music. Best regards Moray James.

Hi all,

..."I have since re-aquired my old Kenwood intergrated amp and tuner and could not be happier. Takes me back.

It is amazing how a quality product keeps a person coming back for more. In the day of all the compressed music on MP3's and the unnatural booming bass kids play in their cars, it truly is refreshing to see others like me are still out there that really appreciate what music reproduction is supposed to be.

Thanks for listening. Big Smile

I bought a Kenwood KA-7100 I think in 1978. Lot's of dough for a college kid. Dixie HiFi for about $270. It was the first "real" hifi gear I owned. My Knight tube amp was dying. Piece by piece I added some equipment to match up with the amp but I could never get enough funds to reach out for Klipsch until a number of years later. But I can still remember bringing home that amp and spending an afternoon just looking at it...before I even had it hooked up to anything. You know what, I still have it. For no other reason than it was the beginning, perhaps. Someone will likely chime in and say "too bad you didn't keep that tube amp".

Hopefully did this right, added a quick pic of my litle setup. Speakers on top of Heresy's are simple surround fronts that go with the Kenwood surround system system. They are at least better than the tv speakers. The old Kenwoodequipment is on the right side. The Heresy's are like new!

post-54766-13819686751874_thumb.jpg