Which av receiver is best for my speakers?

afasoulis

I have recently upgraded my home cinema speakers and I bought RF-82II, RC-62II and RS-62II for a 5.1 setup (I use an old Pioneer subwoofer at the moment until I replace it with a Klipsch RW12D). My next step is to buy a new av receiver that will bring the best out of my speakers. What I'm looking for is to build a 5.1 setup (7.2 in the future) for the best possible surround performance when watching movies. (a fairly good performance in stereo mode will do).

Within my budget range, my choices are narrowed down to these models

• Denon AVR 3312
  • Pioneer VSX-LX55
  • Marantz SR-6006
  • Yamaha RX-A1010
  • Onkyo TX-NR809
I have contacted many shops for a test but there was no availability in my region. Moreover they told me that not all receivers will perform well with my speakers. Please could you help me with my dilemma?

Any thoughts?

• Moderators

Welcome

I would say take your time, and consider used, you may be able to get a more expensive receiver almost new for a good price, if the right deal comes up.

Nice choice of speakers, your on your way. [Y]

Buying a used receiver is an option that I am not intrested in, since I live in Greece and there are many difficulties. My dilemma is which model has the best quality of surround performance in movies with my speakers?

• Denon AVR 3312
  • Pioneer VSX-LX55
  • Marantz SR-6006
  • Yamaha RX-A1010
  • Onkyo TX-NR809

Does anyone heard or own one of these models? Which would you choose if you were in my shoes?

Hi afasoulis ,

My situation is similar to yours.I live in the eastern part of africa and there is only 1 klipsch dealer here.I was one day passing by his store and sampled them and was blown away,so i went ahead and got myself RF-82ii,RC-62ii and RS-62ii's with a SW-310 and Pioneer 1020-k reciever.The issue i faced was inorder to be able to hear anything coming from the speakers i had to turn the volume up to -15 atleast. They sound amazing but i've decided to get myself a more powerful future reciever,and after months of research,reading reviews,watching clips on youtube(LoL) and following this forum,i have settled for the Pioneer LX55 and plan on odering for it tomorrow from abroad. All the best.

Hi afasoulis ,

My situation is similar to yours.I live in the eastern part of africa and there is only 1 klipsch dealer here.I was one day passing by his store and sampled them and was blown away,so i went ahead and got myself RF-82ii,RC-62ii and RS-62ii's with a SW-310 and Pioneer 1020-k reciever.The issue i faced was inorder to be able to hear anything coming from the speakers i had to turn the volume up to -15 atleast. They sound amazing but i've decided to get myself a more powerful future reciever,and after months of research,reading reviews,watching clips on youtube(LoL) and following this forum,i have settled for the Pioneer LX55 and plan on odering for it tomorrow from abroad. All the best.

I look forward hearing your opinion when you'll get the pioneer

The Onkyo 809 is a great receiver. IMO avoid the Yamaha. Pioneer, Denon and Marantz are all good as companies, not sure about those models.

Interesting. I have owned Yamaha equipment since 1977, it all performed above it's price point and never had any issues at all. They all sounded great.

I hear ya, Cal. It seems that for the past few months there were a number of people complaining about the Yamaha AVR's. If I remember correctly, the problem seemed to be in the auto calibration. For the most part, members were telling those folks to buy a unit that uses Audyssey.

I do not have first hand experience, so I will most definitely yeild to yours. Thanks,

Craig

I agree with Cal. I too have owned Yamaha equipment for YEARS. Currently running an RX-V2700 and LOVE it. Very powerful, clean and RELIABLE.

I am sure there are other brands just as good....but I will always stick with what has worked for me for all of these years....[;)][Y]

Take care,

Mike

I currently own a "modern" Yammy and Onkyo and an older Pioneer and Marantz (2-channel). I prefer the warmth of the Marantz and don't care dor the thin sound of the pioneer, but with room calibration, they all sound equally good. That said, Audyssey calibration is much easier to use than YPAO. Also, Onkyo is much more user friendly than Yamaha. Alternatively, Onkyo's get super hot whereas the other receivers stay relatively cool. Lastly, Pioneer and Marantz have more power with all channels driven than Onkyo and Yamaha.

Note, all of the above are brand generalizations and not specific to the models you listed.

I've owned Pioneer for the past several years and love their sound with Klipsch speakers. i looked up the LX55 and it appears to be the same as the 1121K. I recently ordered the 1121K and had several issues with it and returned it. The 1121K appears to have some user reported issues although not many it seems more than usual for a Pioneer. If I might suggest look for the European model that would match the VSX-1120K. It would have no issues running your speakers and should be fun at discounted price being it is last years model. Good luck!

• Like 1