to Bi or not toBi-wire

I have done so much to my home theater in the last three months that I believe it may take as long as two years to tune it to perfection. I read the thread about klipsch being mass market. I definitely cannot concur. I shopped for 6 monthes before making a buying decision. $ to value klipsch can't be beat! Now on to my questions!! One of my investments was a pair of RF-7's, they are awesome!! however I really don't get the bass response I feel that I should. Will bi-wiring them solve this issue? Second question, I am using my ancient pair of heresy's as l/r surrounds. They are sitting on the floor. any recommendations on height?

Everyone seems to post there system components so so will I.

Sony 57" 16/9 HD

Pioneer Elite vsx 36tx

pair of rf-7s

rc-7

rsw-15 sub

pair of heresy

pair of polk(rear surrounds to be replaced w/rs-7s)

HTS monster cable line conditioner

For music and to drive rear surrounds

dbx 3bx amp

dbx 3bx control amp

dbx single ended noise reduction unit

dbx impact restoration unit

sony dvd

hitachi vcr

pioneer laser disc

teac cassette

I think thats it!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sy, that is the ?. Smile.gif you're not an iowa stater by chance are u?

to best find out, try biwiring w/ cheap wire or better that u can return. i use premade biwire cable & liked the results, but your ears are the final judge.

as for surround height, yes is best to have those at ear level or slightly above. my surround cornwalls sit a lil too low by nature & could use a lil rising. but they're adequate for me. if feasible though get 'em up there.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

sy, my alma mater ia state is the "cyclones". just checkin. Smile.gif

i noticed somewhat better, tighter bass. mostly noticed the improved imaging but that was mainly w/ 2 channel stereo music.

i wouldn't expect real big dif, but some subtle dif if you're lucky. definitely in the tweak category. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 05-20-2002 at 04:47 PM

I'm of the old school which believes that plain old zip cord is okay. Also that one run, rather than biwiring, works just fine. I think 14 gauge is more than enough for any average application.

There is a camp on the other side. We love the debate and it is good natured.

However, I have not seen anyone express a belief that that biwiring increases bass to the extent that we like. And I like bass as much as anyone.

Room placement will affect bass. And of course there are the sub woofers. Maybe some amps don't like the 4 ohm load in the bass. But overall, it seems unlikely that bass response is a problem created by wire, save if you're running some very small wire.

Gil

quote:

Originally posted by syclone385:

I have done so much to my home theater in the last three months that I believe it may take as long as two years to tune it to perfection.

I think it's better to perform upgrades incrementally, allowing sufficient time to evaluate real or perceived the changes to the sonic character of our systems. Try BI-wiring them, if you don't make it an expensive venture, you'll be ok. Experimenting with room placement, especially with the use of an SPL Meter, can reveal significant benefits too!

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 05-21-2002 at 07:24 AM

syclone385,

Are you running them set to "small" as that will cut down on the bass output. Doesn't the rsw-15 fill in the bottom end enough? If not perhaps consider another one or a bigger/better sub.

What does you syclone run in the 1/4? I've had a TurboT since '87 that I finally sold last summer. Had a PT-54, MSD 50's, CAS V-4, etc... ran mid 11's on 100 octane, what a FUN car! Much harder to hook than AWD though cwm11.gif

Thanks for that info shapeshifter, Article is interesting. will definitely give it a try this weekend, along with the bi-amping. I hope I don't blow anything up!

Rsw-15 definitely fills the room when watching movies or using Pioneer to drive music. When using dbx amp( 2 channel) bass is there, especially with impact restoration unit in the on position. Just not as much as I would expect. Syclone runs high 10's, but I don't race it much. I only drive it twice a month or so now days. Keep it put up mostly. I never could cut a light worth a damn anyway!

Sy,

bi wiring and bi amping are 2 different things. With bi amping your talking 2 amps and a cross over.

I think that speaker placement is your problem here. I have not heard your speakers, but with rear ported speakers the closer to the wall the more bass you will get. I would play around with speaker placement first. Start about 2 feet from the wall and go from there. This can take hours to get right. Once you get close to the sound you want then I would bi-wire. As mentioned above when I bi wired my KLF20's the mid and hi came alive. the bass was a little fuller, but the bass sound good before I bi wired.

www.davidmannaudio.com is another good site to go to.

Good luck.

Danny

Sy,

As dbflash said, Bi-amping is diff from Bi-wiring. Bi-amping would indeed require separate amplification for the L/R lower frequency terminals and separate amplification (usually a receiver) for the L/R upper frequency terminals. But Bi-wiring to my knowledge doesn't require additional crossovers. But additional crossovers can provide added benefits.

I would go with Bi-wiring them initially and definately experiment with placement. Bi-amping is an option you could pursue at a later date, if you see potential benefits.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

Wes,

That is correct. Bi wiring does not require seperate cross overs. Everything I've read about bi amping requires careful choice about amps used, crossover etc.

Bi wiring is very easy. The main thing is to make your cables the same length and to take the bridging strap off between the HF and LF.

Danny

Sy,

I've run my RF-7's with bi-wire- now using monster M2.2

Have an Elite 47tx, make sure yoour fronts are set to big. With my speaker placement I get best low end with my mains 2 1/2 ft from back wall. Seems speaker placement has way more influence on bass than any wire and moving them around is much more cost effective!

quote:

Originally posted by sunbeam64:

Have an Elite 47tx, make sure yoour fronts are set to big. With my speaker placement I get best low end with my mains 2 1/2 ft from back wall.

sunbeam64,

Don't want to open the small vs. large speaker setting can of worms. But I'm wondering what sub are you using, with LFE or no, and what cross points you're using for the Pioneer & sub? I'm curious because you feel a need to have the mains large.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 05-24-2002 at 05:27 AM