Just bought KLF20s....

Klipschtastic

I just got a home couple of hours ago from driving 450miles round trip to pick up a pair of KLF20s. And it was worth every mile and certainly every dollar spent as the forum member I bought them from gave me a great deal. He was also a pleasure to deal with and a really nice guy.

I knew they were bigger than my rf3s but it didn't hit me how much bigger untill I carried them in and set them next my 3s. OMG these things could eat my rf3s for lunch. I am still trying to get used to the visual impact of these beasts. I can't imagine the 30s. Must be ridiculous!

So I sat down with my girlfriend to give these babys a try. WOW! Adele is in the living room and she asked me if I was enjoying the show (its my gf's cd...seriously). And I WAS enjoying the show. The rf3s are good but these are just on the next level. Much bigger presence, better midrange, better bass and they're more natural and composed at higher volumes. After playing several other recordings from rock to aucoustic my initial impressions are reinforced. These are great speakers!

Hey a great big super congratulations on your KLF20 and on finding out just how special this forum really is. On an aside note here are a couple of things to consider. Your KLF20 are factory equipped with poly tweeter diaphragms in the K79 tweeters. YOu will want to replace those as soon as you can with Bob Crites's Titanium diaphragms. The poly diaphragms are the worst that klipsch ever sold the Titaniums are the best at $30.00 each. Here is a suggestion for you. Grab a screw driver and pull a nid horn out. get your am insidr and make a fist and tap your way arounf the rear baffle and the front as well. listen to see if you hear any buss rattle or fraps when you knock your way around. The KLF series had problems with the baffle adhesive (only the baffle adhesive, the rest of the cabinet is fine) and you need to check to make sure they are solid. If they are not don't worry they can be repaired and they are well worth the effort as you can imagine. Great speakee with tons of modification potential. Enjoy and know that this is just the beginning of how good the KLF20 can sound. Best regards Moray James.

A very big Congrats on the 20's, just enjoy em'.I've heard many Klipsch speakers, the 20 's are some of my favorites, and I've owned piles of em'.There was an issue with glue on some 20's, mine have rocked for years and are rock solid.If you ever get bored, want to go to the next level, do some upgrades as mentioned but know you still have a great set regardless.

It's not often I disagree with James, but I have seen them with adhesive issues on the main structure also. Not panic, it would not stop me from buying a pair, I have made the repair a few times. BTW tell us who you got them from, or seller step up and say hey to your old speaks.

Oops I forgot to mention that the tweeters already have the Crites upgrade.

I bought the speakers from talmadge. I drove from WV to NC to meet him. Nice guy and a generous deal on the speakers. $350 for them. They were repainted by the first owner from Oak to black and the black is chipped off in a couple of spots and the finish has drip marks here and there. I'll probably refinish them but still these speakers are structurally, sonically and mechanically excellent. Not to mention the Crites tweeters. A wonderful deal and I really appreciate them.

Live and learn that's the great thing about this forum you can find out so much so very quickly. I have two pairs of KLF20 both required baffle repair both had rock solid main cabinets not sure what adhesive was used there but very solid. Melamine baffle boards was the big problem with the KLF then combine an issue with the Hot Melt Adhesive used to bond the Melamine coated baffles and the rest is history. You are right repair is well worth the effort.In fact on one pair not having any of the baffles in place made a very easy job of installing structural braces. Good thinkg too as I was really in a rush and did a rough looking job inside sound but fast and dirty. I swapped the vents from the rear to the front so the speakers could be placed closer to the front wall.The speakere were for my daughter who is still in university and so in smaller rooms and can use the extra floor space. You can take a look if you are interested. there are also some pictures of a cleaner job on a pair of Quartets into which I dropped a pair of KLF20 woofers. Brace work pays big bass dividends. Best regards Moray James.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=372783&highlight=klf20

It's kind of funny, you know that car commercial where everyone is singing Elton John's "Rocket Man" and saying the wrong words on the chorus? Well I've recently been playing that album alot on my Rf3's (I guess due to that commercial resparking my interest...lol) and it sounds great but I played "Rocket Man" again this morning on the KLFs and I swear that verse "burning out his fumes up here alone" is even more distint and understandable on these speakers. Maybe it's the midrange drivers.

Congratulations. I love my KLFs. I had to repair the front and rear baffles as mentioned in this post on both of my mine, too. Just ran solid 1x1 top to bottom in all inside corners and it is working great. The previous owner honestly had no idea there was an issue, and I'll bet most current owners aren't aware of the issue, either. I've also since had Crites rebuild my crossovers and installed his Tweeter diaphragms. The KLF 20s are simply amazing, and will be with me for the long haul.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/157442/1662112.aspx#1662112

I agree with T-Man that most owners with problems are likely not even aware. On my second set I removed a tweeter to put in some Ti diaphragms. I went to move the speaker putting my hand into the open tweeter cut out and the entire baffle came foward out of the cabinet from the top to the half way point of the box in one motion, they were that loose The previous owner did not have the slightest idea there was an issue but he said that the bass was not as good as he had thought he remembered. Best regards Moray James.

Moray is correct. I've half-heartedly pounded around on my 20's and didn't think I had an issue.

Now, I've upgraded some of my equipment and at louder volumes thought I was hearing a rattle.

This morning, I did take out my mid-range and pounded harder on my boards, and one certainly has a loose

back board. The rest seems OK at this point. But once I start taking them apart, I'll want to fix it all while in there.

I'm not a carpenter type guy, not really looking forward to it.

Interesting and informative thread. I picked up a pair of 20's last month and had no idea that this issue was widespread. Obviously, mine sound fantastic (with no telltale vibration or rattle). So is there an easy way to determine if the problem is present? Can you make the determination from the front of the speaker or the rear?

Remove the grills and proceed to push as hard as you can with your hand/fingertips on the front and rear baffles near the edges and look for any signs of movement as you push. Go up and down the whole thing. If there is any movement at all, you have an issue. Now that I know what to look for, it's quite easy to diagnose.

I wasn't able to push hard enough to see anything wrong, but I'm rather on the weak side due to some medical crap.

So, it wasn't until I took the Mid out (this is Moray's advice, I've found him to be spot on when it comes to KLF series) and stuck my arm inside and whacked pretty hard with my fist. I have at least one back panel is that certainly loose in the middle and maybe at the bottom.

I really want mine fixed. I've read Moray's long thread several times and I'm not sure I'm up to the task. I wish you lived closer to me Moray, I'd send you cookies and ask if you would fix my cabinets like you did yours.

I'm in a quandry about what to do.

If you dont think that your are up to removing the baffles (which remember provides full access to doing all the internal brace work you could ever wish for) you could hace a friend or a local fix it shop do the work. If that is too expensive to consider there is a way aroun the problem of the baffles. Remove the drivers and crossovers and the vents. Take a 3/4" - 1" chissle which is very sharp. Use the chissle and or a mallet to remove the all the hot melt glue that you see along the baffle to cabinet wall seam. You want ther to be zero hot melt so scrape if necessary to incuer the wood side is 100% clean and free off any adhesive. Then you are going to cut some one inch strapping fir basswood alder anything that is soft enought to take wood screws easily without splitting. You are going to cut the strapping so that you can fit it all the way around the baffle. You will be doing this to the front and back baffle and you will likely have to install one side of strapping at a time as you will have only gravity to hold the strapping in place. use a urethane adhesive like Gorilla glue or you can use a construction adhesive like the PL stuff. Once you have all the strapping installed and the ahesive has set then tap joles and install number 6 wood screwa from the outsidee of the babble into the strapping. Done. Use and many scresw as spins your crank. thate the easiest lowest tech solution I can think of. Best regards Moray James.

Thanks to all who replied. I am enjoying these speakers as I type and they kept me on the couch half the day yesterday. I can't believe how these speakers rock! Powerful AND detailed! I have been listening to some of my same rock albums since elemetary school, about 25 years or so but I've never heard them properly untill now.

Moray James,

I have found that one of the rear baffles is loose and rattling on deep bass notes so I will be reinforcing them soon. I will refer to your previous writeups but may email you some questions about the details.

I have tried to post pics but don't really know how. If anyone could help me with this I would really appreciate it.

For now sounds like you have found a very satisfying match of speaker and your system. Keep your eyes open for a pair of Klipsch CF3. The CF3 is a three driver two way with dual ten inch drivers and a much larger mid/hi horn. I think that you would like the CF3 even more than the KLF20. If you see a pair for a good price buy and try it is the only way that you will actually know what they sound like and if you like them better than what you have. I am sure that you will be able to correct any issues your current cabinet may have in the near future. Best regards Moray James.

PS I should also have some new vent options for your KLF20 that you can try soon.

So on the reinforcement job I'm thinking about some pine 1x2s around the perimeter of the baffles and number 6 screws like you mentioned. I am not sure which glue to buy because of the melamine surface of the baffles. These materials are all new to me as I had never heard the "melamine" untill I read some older posts on repairing the klf's.

I have read about Gorilla glue or titebond 3 as possible adhesives for the job. What do you prefer?