Daves Eliptrac 400 in Jube Clones...Pics!

jorjen

Is anyone using this Elliptrac 400 with a Lascala bass bin and crossing it at 400Hz in 3 way configuration with tweeter and if so with what driver. Has anyone mated this horn to the 2" BMS that Volti Audio uses?

I memory serves me I believe the driver is the BMS 4592ND-MID but not sure?

I'm just about to. I should have the Elliptracs finished in about 2 weeks & I'll be mating this with some GPA 399 drivers. This runs through Al's uni's & the top end is JBL 2404H.

I'll post some pics when it's done.

GPA 399.... man this just gets more confusing. Is this a mid range driver? I had Greg's setup here for e few weeks long ago and it sounded stunning I give about 90% of the credit to the BMS Driver so I am real curious for information about the BMS driver mated to this horn. Where is this GPA 399 driver information available.

Heck if I had the expandable cash I'd go TAD driver but the wallet is not going to stretch that far.

Is anyone using this Elliptrac 400 with a Lascala bass bin and crossing it at 400Hz in 3 way configuration with tweeter and if so with what driver. Has anyone mated this horn to the 2" BMS that Volti Audio uses?

I memory serves me I believe the driver is the BMS 4592ND-MID but not sure?

I'm just about to. I should have the Elliptracs finished in about 2 weeks & I'll be mating this with some GPA 399 drivers. This runs through Al's uni's & the top end is JBL 2404H.

I'll post some pics when it's done.

I found the spec's and that is not the way I want to go. If the driver is not rated to go well below 400Hz I ain't going there. If I take this dive it will be as near no comprimise as possible or I just am not going to do it.

I hope you have great luck with it. I just only want to do this once. I already went the partial way with the ALK trachorn. I want my upgrade to not have me double guessing it later.

QUOTE: 'I found the spec's and that is not the way I want to go. If the driver is not rated to go well below 400Hz I ain't going there. If I take this dive it will be as near no comprimise as possible or I just am not going to do it. I hope you have great luck with it. I just only want to do this once. I already went the partial way with the ALK trachorn. I want my upgrade to not have me double guessing it later. " END QUOTE:.........................................My thoughts exactly.......but this driver is the new version of the Altec 288. GPA manufactures it from the original die & tooling that Altec used....................................There are plenty of people who successfully use the 288 crossed at 400Hz & this is one of the most highly regarded drivers around. Don't be fooled by all the talk of 2 inch throats & being able to go down to below 400Hz & remember that specs aren't the whole story.............. Not really recommended for high power PA usage at 400Hz, but for home use, this will not be a problem. If you're worried about it, use the AP12-500 & the AP15-6K crossovers, which is what I'm going to upgrade to down the track...........you won't find a better mid range unit.......not cheap (my pair will be the best part of $1000 landed here in Oz), but definitely worth it.

I have TAD 4002 on my K402 horns. They are rated to cross at 600hz and I have crossed then as low as 400 and pumped at least 100 watts into them. I know people cross them as low as 300. It all mattters how steep the slopes are on the crossover. I wouldn't be afraid of a driver rated for 400hz. That's just right.

You folks are getting the reasoning behind my thoughts all wrong... Manufacturers of these drivers do not rate them at a low and high frequency spec's for nothing. It does not mean they can not go there or that they will explode if used there. It just means the results will be a compromise in distortion and sonic performance. The BMS driver IS specified to go well below 400Hz so if going by spec's it should be a ZERO compromise at 400 Hz. I do not personally prefer the sound of extreme slope crossovers so I will not be going there with this project. Yes I have heard those also. To me With ES X-overs it's one of those catch 22 scenarios where technically better does not always translate into Sonically better. This could be true of the BMS scenario but I'll be darned if I'm going to not research before I lay my cash down. The big advantage going forward that I have is my up close and personal experience with the BMS driver and when pushed that baby is stunningly real sounding with no strain.

I'm fairly sold on the performance of the BMS I'm curous as to its performance with the Elliptrac horn.

If I wanted to compromise I'd just mount a new full 1" driver on the ALK trachorn that can go to 400 Hz but isn't really designed from the ground up to do so. This project is about doing at "right" as possible with the bucks I have to spend. If I can not do it near as "right" as possible I'll stick with what I have until I can. It's not like my existing setup sound like ***.

You folks are getting the reasoning behind my thoughts all wrong... Manufacturers of these drivers do not rate them at a low and high frequency spec's for nothing. It does not mean they can not go there or that they will explode if used there. It just means the results will be a compromise in distortion and sonic performance.

This is true, however another main reason for the ratings is simply the power handling capabilities at lower frequencies. Many of the horn drivers rated cutoff at 500-700hz are done so they can advertised to handle 250 or 500 watts. In home use these drivers may not see more than 15-20 watts peak.

If you are going to use a driver outside of it's rated specs, testing becomes crucial.

Craig 73

Craig, so you are not interested in trying 2-way with that elip/BMS combo?

Two-way would not work with the BMS 4592ND-Mid. The BMS 4592ND-Mid that Craig is referring to starts to roll off just over 5Khz. From the graph that is in the attached literature it looks like the mid driver could be crossed over at 6Khz - 6.5Khz, but not much higher. There is a coaxial version of the 4592ND, but I've read that, for home audio, many do not like the high frequency as well as a separate tweeter.

bms_4592-mid_t_data_2012-01.pdf

Most of us don't have the cash laying around to just try a lot of different stuff. I remember there was a time that I did, but those days are long gone. All of these drivers and horns are pretty expensive, and if you only got one shot at it, you want to go with what you know, not with what you don't know. Craig has heard the BMS and really liked it. He hasn't heard any of the other drivers. He also knows the BMS works with a relatively simple filter and can be driven to insane levels without breaking up -- that's another big plus for the BMS -- you don't need steep slopes or need to go active. I think I have him talked into trying the Eliptrac, which looks like a really nice horn. If I was doing this, that is the direction I would go.

Just out of curiosity - what is the lowest frequency at which the Elliptrac can be crossed over at? Is it 400hz? I would like to try it in a couple different applications. I have a BMS 4592 Co-Ax Driver and wanted to know if I could try crossing it at 300Hz given that the driver is capable of handling it. I would also like to try on top of my JBL 4345 Studio Monitors - it which case, I would need it to play from 1,200hz to 10,000hz. Any thoughts?