la scala cabinet modifications - folded horn to bass reflex -

OO1

ls_bass_mod.jpg

Just remove the stock back panel on the top of the LSI and make another one with two 4" dia by 7" long ports. Use a plunge router (or a saber saw) to open up the top into the doghouse.

This mod adds a ton of bass (about 7dB aat 40hz) and sounds great. It's also reversable if you ever need to when selling.

If you go down this path, you would wind up with your basic cornscala. the only thing to remember is that you have to reverse the woofer connection if you go the direct passive route. But seriously, you might be better off to do a trade with someone who has some cornscala's and wants lascala's. where are you locaated?

It was posed as a question, realizing we all have our own opinion. I've had experiences that led me to mine, and that's how I would advise a friend. Of course, the mod is free and if you find it fun to tinker and experiment then it's worth a shot.

" Even a small, cheap sub would do more for the low end than modding the
LS cabinet. Wouldn't it?"

You think a cheap sub will have as much 30hz output and be as clean as the 200W 101dB K43 vented in a 5 cu ft box (horn loaded above 100hz)?

Get real.

You guys are a rough crowd. :)

Yes I do. But I suppose that depends on how you define cheap and small? What I had in mind when I made the comment was my old Velodyne F1500R, which I sold for $300 recently. That sub would have greater, clean 30 hz output. Measured in my room, it was nice and strong down to 17hz. This mod isn't going to bring a LS anywhere close to that.

This thought isn't worth putting up with the insults from the click of Klipsch experts. I'm sure you could have found a polite way to educate me. Peace out.

Have you done much wood work in the past? It would be a lot less work to build a new box than it would be to rip apart the old one. You could sell the La Scala for enough to have a set of boxes built or trade for a Cornwall plus cash and not have to mess with crossovers. A cornwall will buy you about ten more hertz lower than your La Scala, a Forte will get you about 18 hertz more than a La Scala. Neither will come close to the efficiency of the La Scala though. The mod that DJK suggested is likely your best option. What is your real goal here? Sounds to me like you have the wrong speakers for the job so get the right speakers. Best regards Moray James.

The LS cabinet is put together with ring nails. Would be truly a pita to get apart. You can add a ported box under the LS to see if you would like it. Then if you want the regular size cab, do the mod opening up the doghouse into the upper part, etc.

Bruce

The LS cabinet is put together with ring nails. Would be truly a pita to get apart. You can add a ported box under the LS to see if you would like it. Then if you want the regular size cab, do the mod opening up the doghouse into the upper part, etc.

Bruce

Are there any measurements of this LS mod? Are there any downsides to it?

I've always wanted to hear this one. It is very cool as it is easy to undue. Too cool.

If one had a split Lascala or just a Lascala cab with the top hat cut off. Could you build a riser like ported box and take off the access panel and do the mod out the bottom, or could you flip it up side down and do it that way. I am just asking.

If one had a split Lascala or just a Lascala cab with the top hat cut off. Could you build a riser like ported box and take off the access panel and do the mod out the bottom, or could you flip it up side down and do it that way. I am just asking.

Exactly right!A 10 inch tall box that will fit under the cab (removing the access cover), a couple of 4 inch diameter pieces of pvc pipe, 7 inches long. that's it. Maybe some light stuffing in the box.

This is about the same as opening up the top of the doghouse being opened up into the top of the regular LS cab.

Bruce

i didn't want to cut the cabinet - so i went the SUB route.

but i agree it takes a good sub to make a smooth matching with appropriate air volume and speed.

and with no smooth matching - i don't want suhc sub at all. bad matching dives me crazy.

Velodynes move a lot of air - but i doubt they would smoth match LS.

Note:

Most LSI already have a back panel across the top, easy to make another with the ports.

Old LS have the woofer load from the top, you have to remove the mid horn to get it out. Easy to mod this style too.

**************************************************************************************************

I originally suggested the box-on-the-bottom to be a temporary try-and-see-if-you-like-it. Much to my surprise, most people preferred this method.