Is a new receiver my solution?

cdub5

So about a month ago, I got my first ever set of big boy speakers. I got two RF 82ii and RC 62ii. Running these with a Yammy rxv-671. All I've ever heard about klipsch, is it's "love em or hate em." Guess I'm the weird one, cuz I definitely don't hate em, just not sure I love them. I want to love them, just not sure yet. I'm wondering if my issues are receiver related. I've read a lot about people not being fond of the Yammy, klipsch mix. I've been looking at the marantz sr 6006, and the denon 3312. I know klipsch are known for being "bright" "harsh". I find this to be the case, but only sometimes. So far I really don't enjoy watching most TV programs. Just sounds bad to me. I realize this is probably due to the feed, (using DirecTV hd hr24, I believe) and the fact that these speakers highlight the bad as well as the good in what you're listening to. I enjoy watching movies, but most do have some parts that are a little, tiny bit too much, "harsh". This isn't something that really bothers me cuz most of all the movies I listen to I really enjoy. Music, same deal. Mostly enjoyable with some "harsh" moments time to time. So, with the receivers I'm interested in, will it make me love these speakers. Considering they both are said to have a "warm" sound, (especially marantz) and they are both an upgrade to what I have now, will this make my speakers more fit for me, or am I expecting to much from a receiver. If I hated these speakers, this would be easy, but I don't.

Many years ago my system included a Carver Receiver MX-150, an EQ and a pair of very power hungry Technics R&B Series SB-7 speakers.

Then I ordered and received a pair of Klipsch KLF-20's. Yes, I too thought they were very bright. After a few days I was reminded that the KLF's are vastly more efficient than the Technics (100db compared to 87db.). Turns out that I still had my EQ setting the same as when I had the Technics' in that system. After blowing two tweeters I did a bit of recalibration by ear and all is well. But also give them some time, by that I mean your ears.

The KLF's are now pulling duty in my study since I got some Cornwalls.

• Moderators

You said movies and music is ok, the big problem was with Tv , If I got that right

If I listen to tv using the Ht speakers many different shows sound off, harsh, great, terrible, sometimes the commercials sound better than the show. It seems to completely change from show to show and even channel to channel using dish hd. It's a crap shoot, some of the strangest things sound really good ? Just depends on how it's broadcast I guess ?

Like Mighty Favog said play with some settings and give a little time.

It's kind of like when you make any big change sometimes it take a while to decide if you like the different sound or change, use a good source for a while and see what happens almost anything on tv or radio is not a great source most of the time. Ok for general listening but not for deciding if you like a new speaker, if you really like them with a good recording you will really know if other sources are the speaker or source causing the problem.

Room correction and setup are a key factor in setting up your HT. If you have a BB Magnolia near you, demo a Pioneer, Denon or higher Yamaha avr for a few day since you can return them and not loose any money. YPAO, AUDYSSEY, and MCACC all have there good points, but which one works best in your home? Also try moving your speakers further apart and increase the distance to the seatting area for better horn dispersion.

My family are the type that always seem to have the TV on, whether watching it or just having it be background sound. After a short amount of time, even with the volume pretty low, I feel like my ears are bothering me. This could all just be mental, considering no one else had this issue. After movies and video games, my ears can be somewhat fatigued, but we do crank them pretty loud, so that's probably more to blame. But, considering the TV viewing is done at lower volumes, it just doesn't make sense that bothers me line it does. it's almost like the sound while TV watching is so bad, it's irritating, mentally and physically. Any opinions on the receivers I mentioned? Will either smooth out the sound, "warm" it up as well? In terms of room set up, I think I've got speakers placed as best as I can within room constraints. I'll post pics when I get to my computer. I've got everything set to small, towers crossed at 80, center at 100.

My Pioneer has the MCACC and it got me real close to a tone I liked. Not perfect by my opinion but close. I did reduce the high end and boost the bass a bit but that's all my personal taste.

Here's something you could try; if you have a smart phone look around for an app for an RTA (Real Time Analyzer). If you don't have a pink noise source of a test CD, play a song that has bas to it but it's also kinda of a happy, bouncy tune (don't ask me why, but I found this out by accident). Play that tune and see if all the frequencies are close to being straight across the graph when you play it. It's absolutly wierd and crazy but it works in a broad sence.

FWIW, I usually don't like watching TV through either one of me systems. Most of the time I just want the information from people talking rather than be impressed with the clarity of the music that's being played. Maybe it's just me after watching TV the same way for over 40-years through the TV speaker vs. having the full sound through the HT system. Movies/Concerts are a different story.

If you like the music, and you like the movies, the speakers/receiver is not your problem. Try forcing your TV settings (on the receiver) to downmix everything in stereo 2.0. Also, turn off the dynamic volume (if you have that). TV broadcasts can be frustrating. It's not your cable, dish, setupbox, it's the lack of standard in TV broadcasts. I still use OTA antenna for all my TV, so I only have the networks and individual show mixing to blame. I would never use TV as any sort of reference when comparing audio gear! Also, make sure your receiver's tone settings are all flat or disabled. Have you calibrated your system?

Unless Yamaha has changed their sound quite a bit since I auditioned my first pair of RF-7s, they are indeed very bright sounding. It may be possible to tame it some. If you're like me when I bought my first pair of horns you probably have the treble cranked like everyone does on other speakers. Back your treble down to 50% or less if you havent already done so.

Edit: I have Directv with a HD receiver and I watch TV without it being harsh on Chorus ll's and RF-7's so I'm going with the Yamaha as the culprit.

I have never in house demoed Yamaha, but in show rooms I never cared for them. They did seem to be harsh I do know Supertramp through my Cornwalls with Harman/Kardon receiver sounds great. I just dont care for the movie mixes, my family some what has the tv going alot minus the bad dialog on the center I think it sounds great with no fatigue. I would try another receiver maybe a friend has one you can try or do what I do start with a less expensive model or something used and if you like it upgrade. Good luck with this as it can be frustrating with the situation since you just spent good money on good speakers.

I'm going with the Yamaha as the culprit.

Me too, with Klipsch. Tried Yamaha & didn't like it. Moved to Harman Kardon, much better. Switched to Outlaw separates, much much better.

The source is critical. Some of my cd's & DVD concerts I just refuse to listen to because of the sound mix. When they get it right it's wonderful though. Don't have any problem with TV after tweaking formats.....Dish HD.

I may be too late with this. I have the same Yamaha receiver but different speakers (see my signature below). After I first got the receiver, I used the automatic speaker setup and was not impressed at all. But after I used the manual setup and tuned each speaker with the parametric EQ, the sound was dramatically improved. The different EQ features provide a lot of tuning flexibility.

I may be too late with this. I have the same Yamaha receiver but different speakers (see my signature below). After I first got the receiver, I used the automatic speaker setup and was not impressed at all. But after I used the manual setup and tuned each speaker with the parametric EQ, the sound was dramatically improved. The different EQ features provide a lot of tuning flexibility.

All I've really adjusted manually, is setting the speakers to small and setting the crossover of the fronts to 80, and the center to 100. Other than the gain, what else can be tweeked. I'm new to all this.

All I've really adjusted manually, is setting the speakers to small and setting the crossover of the fronts to 80, and the center to 100. Other than the gain, what else can be tweeked. I'm new to all this.

On the remote control, press the "ON SCREEN" button and select "SETUP". Select "Manual Setup", then "Parametric EQ". Then scroll down to the speaker you want to tune. There are 3 different methods to change the curve. I've used all 3 to get the shape I want. Just experiment and you'll figure it out. Hopefully your source for TV audio is not inferior, because you'll never get good sound from a bad source regardless of your A/V receiver.

On screen of the EQ:

EQ

Thank you Gary. That eq is what I used to change the crossover. Just not sure how much the other tweaks help. I'll see how it goes with the marantz, and try tweaking the Yammy more as well.

Also, the magnolia guy asked me if I've tried bi-amping. I've read most people feel this does nothing, especially with klipsch. Opinions?