Jubilee v.s. Palladium

garyrc

Who has heard the top of the line Palladium v.s. the best
configuration of the Jubilee? Knowing that you probably gain something
and lose something as you go from one to the other, which did you like
best, and most importantly, why? Have they ever set up a comparison of
these two at the Pilgrimage?

• Moderators

The did have Palladium in the room with Khorns in 2010. You could imagine the difference in sound, two completely different designs. In that room the khorns sounded the best I have heard them sound but you can see from the pic it's size works great for them, imo.

The Palladium sounded much better than I had hoped for, I was really impressed with the Palladium's sound. With their sound and looks I would think they should do very well in there price range and well above.

These two were a completely different sound, the Khorn bass sounded like it was from the whole back wall and down the side walls and wrapped around the room. I would guess it's the way it should sound in a room setup like this because it sounded like I have never heard them sound before.

Both were great and I couldn't really pick one over another it was that different and both were that good, glad I don't have to decide on one it would be tough.

post-11804-13819690265848_thumb.jpg

These two were a completely different sound, the Khorn bass sounded like it was from the whole back wall and down the side walls and wrapped around the room. I would guess it's the way it should sound in a room setup like this because it sounded like I have never heard them sound before.

Great way to describe the bass......a direct radiator could never do that.

The did have Palladium in the room with Khorns in 2010. You could imagine the difference in sound, two completely different designs. In that room the khorns sounded the best I have heard them sound but you can see from the pic it's size works great for them, imo.

Dtel, what 'n' where was that room and occasion? Not Hope, I guess --

Thanks,

Larry

Thanks,

Larry

That is the Hope listening room.

The Palladium sounded much better than I had hoped for, I was really impressed with the Palladium's sound. With their sound and looks I would think they should do very well in there price range and well above.

Both were great and I couldn't really pick one over another it was that different and both were that good, glad I don't have to decide on one it would be tough.

i thought the khorns and the palladiums were almost a dead heat. you described the khorn bass signature perfectly but that's not to say the bass from the palladiums were any less authoritative. the jubs were in another room and about 15 minutes later so consider that in my comments but i thought the jubs were a tick better in imaging, soundstage and low end. just a tick but noticable..

• Moderators

It was in Hope, Pilgrimage 2010. I knew i had a picture of that room but couldn't remember what speakers were in the room. I went looking and found it in with the pictures listed under pilgrimage 2010 the date was 6-11-2010

It's a room they use as a listening room, it's in the front by the offices, it's really a nice room, good width and can hold a bunch of people for listening, would work great for multi-channel also.

From what i remember and the pic, not much room treatment at all but the shape was probably helping alot.

• Moderators

i thought the khorns and the palladiums were almost a dead heat. you described the khorn bass signature perfectly but that's not to say the bass from the palladiums were any less authoritative.

The Palladiums were not less authoritative at all in any department, I didn't want it to sound like that at all. I had heard the Khorns a few times before and that room was the best I had ever heard them sound.

The Palladiums would be easier to find a room they sound great in, which is a little tougher for the Khorn, but such a a different type of sound from one to another it's hard to say. I would guess the obvious difference is the Khorn bass, not better or worse, just different than most speakers.

The Palladiums to me were surprisingly good. I had heard there were many improvements above the normal speakers Klipsch designs and makes.

But companies seem to say things like that all the time and sometimes it's true and sometimes not. So I didn't know what they were really going to sound like.

I was happily surprised, you can hear the differences, the sound quality is what you would hope for and equally looks that fit something new and special.

I was really glad to see Klipsch did NOT try to pass off just a pretty speaker as the new and improved line.

It really is everything they were going for.

imo

I love this stuff, BUT really hate to try to describe what I hear.

I ONLY listen as a casual listener, for the music. If I listen for any more it's only broad things in an overall sound. I have heard people talk about distinctive parts of how it was reproduced but I have a hard time comparing like that.

I know what I like when I hear it, sometimes without even knowing why, but when it right you can't hide it. [Y]

• Moderators

here is the jub listening session soon after the khorn vs palladium comparison...

What did you think? OK, fair, good, sucks, big and ugly or maby " pretty impaired " .... OK I had to throw in a easy one.

I do know my opinion on the original question asked here but i would rather beat around the bush. [:)]

I was wondering -- I used the P-38 setup for my "classical class" at the 2008 Pilgrimage in Indy, and thought the bass was accurate and hefty. It had a Palladium sub along with a Palladium center and surrounds.

I took the same DVD (Dvorak New World symphony) to the P-39 room for a listen. That setup did not have a Palladium sub. Although the P-39's had fine bass and a fuller lower middle range than the P-38 setup, the P-39 very bottom end wasn't as powerful. This showed up in a less full and assertive double bass sound, so, as a wild guess, we might be dealing with a range of 30-100 Hz or so.

That led me to think I'd want a Palladium sub with the full-rangers. A P-38 setup with the sub would be fine for me. I'd be very interested in what others think.

here is the jub listening session soon after the khorn vs palladium comparison...

What did you think? OK, fair, good, sucks, big and ugly or maby " pretty impaired " .... OK I had to throw in a easy one.

I do know my opinion on the original question asked here but i would rather beat around the bush. Smile

i thought the jubs were the best of the three, but it was later, in a different room, different electronics, etc. they were all very very good.

• Moderators

i thought the jubs were the best of the three, but it was later, in a different room, different electronics, etc. they were all very very good

That's what i thought, I thought the big difference for me was the 402.

That room in the lab is not the best sounding for sure and they have had a bunch of different electronics on them at different times also. We were told the room was kind of treated to not sound great, they wanted it to sound like the average room people have to have a better idea of how different speakers sound in a average room.

To us although with different bottoms, we don't have Jube bass bins, they sound better in our room than what we heard in that room, although our room (24' wide) it's wider so that probably helps alot ?

Was just wondering what you thought. [:P] Thanks

Who has heard the top of the line Palladium vs. the best
configuration of the Jubilee? Knowing that you probably gain something
and lose something as you go from one to the other, which did you like
best, and most importantly, why?

Are you in the market for a pair or one or the other?

You should be aware that the room where the Jubs are located has a side-to-side slope to the ceiling, i.e., left-to-right asymmetry, but some treatments to lessen the effects of this. Also note that the Jubilee hf drivers are the K-69-As, and the driving electronics are probably not the same as in the other listening room with the Khorns and Palladiums.

I've also noticed that there is an affinity for "direct radiator bass sound" mentioned here. PWK wrote a couple of articles on bass distortion that you might want to read before proclaiming that direct-radiator bass "sounds better": you are likely listening to higher frequency non-harmonic AM distortion of the Palladium bass bins which will sound more directional than the cleaner Khorn bass in-room.

Also note that the Khorn has very time-misaligned drivers; the Jubs are time corrected.

Chris

I've also noticed that there is an affinity for "direct radiator bass sound" mentioned here. PWK wrote a couple of articles on bass distortion that you might want to read before proclaiming that direct-radiator bass "sounds better":

There was a shootout a few years ago on one of the pro sound websites comparing sound reinforcement subs. At high power some of the subs tested put out in excess of 25% harmonic distortion. A sub that many preferred had 30% distortion. The harmonics gave it a "fuller" sound according to some of the listeners at the test.

I've also noticed that there is an affinity for "direct radiator bass sound" mentioned here. PWK wrote a couple of articles on bass distortion that you might want to read before proclaiming that direct-radiator bass "sounds better": you are likely listening to higher frequency non-harmonic AM distortion of the Palladium bass bins which will sound more directional than the cleaner Khorn bass in-room.

Also note that the Khorn has very time-misaligned drivers; the Jubs are time corrected.

Chris

Chris, I am interested in reading those papers, do you have a link?