BEWARE! Here comes the "Dude"...

jorjen

Mike,

What makes that thing weigh in at 73 pounds, is it the tranny...? It must be massive....!

The heavy gauge alluminum case parts and pwr supply.

The two 6SN7 are the amplification stages and the rest of the componets are pretty much pwr supply related except of course the volume and selector componets.

Thanks for the info and photos Mike. You obviously looked under the hood when you swapped out faceplates, what did you think? And besides the massive faceplate and chassis, where did you see the weight coming from?

That's it jorjen faceplate, chassis, pwr supply capacitors/transformer...etc.......

The best I remember the bottom plate is only screwed to the side plates and this allow the weight of the case to deflect the smaller gauge bottom plate up under this weight since it isn't attached to the front face plate (and I don't think it's attached to the back plate also but I'm not 100 percent sure of this).

System synergy IS a big deal in our hobby. The SLP-05 sounded very, very nice indeed. Seemed to mate well with my Simaudio phono pre and pCats. Got some good results rolling 6SN7's. I hope I did not ultimately make a mistake parting with it. But, you know how this hobby is. After all my research, I just had to try it. We seem to always be looking for that extra little bit of improvement in our systems. I hope I see it with the Dude.

I had the Cary SLP98L and like you said with rolling some 6SN7 types it just don't get much better.....maybe different but better..gets iffy..IMHO.

Don't miss that allen screw that fell to the bottom...

Good EYE Mike..!

Yea that was a Front Panel mounting screw that had come loose during shipping I guess and was just laying in there when I opened it up. Needless to say we bought new (longer screws) and I placed lock washers on them to prevent this from happening again. Again I guess since this was just a temporary front panel they probably didn't torque things down like they normally would I hope.

Interesting looking internals. Not sure why so much filtering is used. I'm in favor of as little ripple as possible from the p/s, but that looks like massive overkill (not that it's necessarily bad!) By chance, have you taken any measurements off of the B+ rail using a 'scope?

Just did the work my friend needed...and didn't get into anything else as far as measurements.

edit: I will say it all begins with the pwr supply with any amplification and yes the laws of dimenishing returns can begin to set in as we work toward that unobtainable perfection...!

mike tn

First, now that I'm over the shock of the weight... that is a beautiful piece of gear. I'm not so sure about the red one, but to each their own. I'd prolly gone with black and silver knobs and had the surface of the letters either polished back to ss or painted in blue or red.

Now that there is some perspective, WOW... that sucker is big. I'm not a circuit kinda' guy, so with the hood up it looks all the world to me like an amplifier with all those caps. Some look beer can sized! I'm sure it will sound awesome. Too bad you couldn't have held onto the Cary for comparison.

I'm not so sure about the red one, but to each their own.

Just so anyone knows the flash from the camera lightens the color in these pictures and doesn't do it justice(it doesn' have that pinkish cast from the flash)..... in person it is a shade or so darker really does come very close to the color of his corvette.

Not a loose screw, that is the one that holds the front foot!!

The only loose screw was the one I had when I ordered the "DUDE"!! at least thats what the wife thought!! lol

Just kidding, this is one great piece of equipment!!

IMO a great price $4k!

I'd prolly gone with black and silver knobs and had the surface of the letters either polished back to ss or painted in blue or red.

That's exactly what I see when looking at it! All black with blue letters to match my other gear. Seems like everything I own has blue LEDs except for my EQ.

• 2 months later...

...And soon I hope! I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.

Just sold my Cary SLP-05 tube preamp and power supply because I am so intrigued by everything I have read about this company and this preamp. Had to try it.

The company is Tube Research Labs, Inc. It is owned and operated by Paul Weitzel and his brother Brian out of Quincy Washington. I must say to this point their service and communiction is amongst the best I have EVER encountered. All their gear is built when an order is received. Lead time can be LONG(but worth waiting for I hear)depending on the product. My piece is being built at the moment.

The piece I speak of is a tube preamp called simply "Dude". Now, I have not heard this component, I ordered strictly from rave reviews, stellar comments and glowing word of mouth. I normally do not do this, but I just could not help myself this time.

Dude uses 3) 6SN7, 1) OD3 and 1) 6080. Topology, circuitry, etc. is not yet known to me and will not be until I open it up when it arrives. I do know it is point to point wiring, no PCB's and supposedly the secret to performance is the power supply. No fuses, circuit breaker. On/off switch on back panel. Standard is 4 sets of inputs and 2 sets of outputs. Can be custom configured and anodized in just about any color you could want. Knobs are polished brass or polished aluminum. Mine will be silver with polished brass knobs. Does not come with a power cord. Choose your own.

Dude is 18.75"W x 18"Dx 8.5"H. It weighs a staggering 73lbs. and is shipped in a wooden crate for a total of 105lbs.

I will have a ton of pictures and a review of construction, fit and finish and of course sound quality when it arrives.

Take a look at the website http://www.tuberesearchlabs.com/ as they have some amazing gear. Not much info. to read though.

I am attaching a couple of photos. Mine will look identical to the first one.

I realize the thread ended up somewhat off-track, but any update? I've probably been reading various reviews regarding this preamp for about three years now and, given I'm listening mostly to Klipsch and tubes these days, I'm curious about your impressions on how it integrates and sounds in your system.