Initial impressions SS vs tubes

USNRET

So I replaced the Peach and VRDs with the McIntosh C26 and MC2505 in my Belle system. I immediately noticed what I though to be a loss of all imaging. Turns out the sweet spot moved about 3 feet aft. Speakers were no moved at all.

The girls are going out roller skating later so I can play with some volume....

As far as solid state goes, the McIntosh C26 and MC2505 were very good for their time but modern SS has come a long way. As much as I appreciated the C26 and 2505 that I owned, they were no where near the modern competition from even receivers let alone separates. Definition at the frequency extremes, transparency and imaging are all much improved in modern designs. The Macs are still great sounding and beautiful to look at and will be valuable and dependable for a long time to come. Enjoy.

I think your VRD's are class A, so what you are hearing could well be the difference between a Class A amp and Class AB amp. Class AB has a lot of switching distortion. Some tube amps run Class A, and others run class AB. I find Class A SS amps sound very close to Class A tube amps.

I believe that most P-P tube amps operate in Class A for a few watts, because the biasing makes them 'on', but beyond that they switch to AB.

there's a lot of truth to that....assuming the bias is set high enough and the amp is built to handle the heat generated and current involved. a 150W amp biased at .7 would leave class A at 16 watts peak, at .8 20 watts peak, at 1.0 30 watts peak, etc. So a full class A amp never leaves class A and an AB class amp will leave class A and enter class AB at different points depending on the amps bias setting.

A bias of 0.707A would leave class A at 1.414A peak, or 1A RMS.

1A RMS would be 4W in class A at 4Ω.

A 150W amplifier will be running at about ±63V, so it will be dissipating 89W per channel to produce that 4W in class A.

I hope to get some time to experiment this weekend. I want to set up the Peach with the Mc and then the C26 with the VRDs. For what's it is worth, I set my bias on the VRDs at 0.57 using Penta Labs KT-88s.