in ceiling speakers

CJPennell

I am installing two in-ceiling speakers in a 9 foot ceiling and I have to space the speakers about 13 feet apart. I wanted to place them closer for optimal sound but could not. I am concerned now that I will hear one more than the other. Can anyone advise if there are in-ceiling speakers out there that can address this so I have a room filling sound.

Thanks

CJ

I am installing two in-ceiling speakers in a 9 foot ceiling and I have to space the speakers about 13 feet apart. I wanted to place them closer for optimal sound but could not. I am concerned now that I will hear one more than the other. Can anyone advise if there are in-ceiling speakers out there that can address this so I have a room filling sound.

Thanks

CJ

Can you turn the gain down on one and up on the other to balance it out?

if your receiver won't balance the gains, you'll need to make sure that the wiring to each speaker is the same length even if one is closer to the receiver than the other. if one has a shorter wire than the other, it will be louder.

I have Synergy speakers in my ceilings. in the rec room I have the round model as surrounds and in the great room I have the rectangular in wall model mounted in the ceiling both as surrounds and rear surrounds. I think the model numbers are KHC-6 and KHW-5. you can adjust the direction that the center cone points (I'm sure that's right on the round ones and I think that's right on the rectangular ones too) so you'd point the one that is nearer you straight down or even away from you and point the further one angled toward you. Klipsch actually suggests pointing the cones at the side walls so the sound bounces off them.

if your receiver won't balance the gains, you'll need to make sure that the wiring to each speaker is the same length even if one is closer to the receiver than the other. if one has a shorter wire than the other, it will be louder.

Wow.

So how many dB do you drop per foot of wire?

• Moderators

[bs]

couldn't help it

PWK BS Button

couldn't help it

Spoil sport!

I guess if the wire was really tiny.......you MIGHT notice a drop.

sure there are limits. you probably won't notice that you have one front speaker 2' farther from the receiver than the other because the run is short enough that you won't have much drop anyway. but run two ceiling speakers with 18 guage wire and have one be a 50' run and the other only 20' and you're taking a chance. perhaps getting good wire from mono-price instead of the RadioShack stuff will avoid the problem but I prefer to cut both wires the length needed for the longer run just to be safe.

• Moderators

Nothing personal when I said [bs] I just thought it was [bs]. I am not an electrical engineer or any [bs] like it and don't really pay attention when these things are talked about here, but still think it's [bs].

NO [bs] I'm just giving you a hard time. [;)] but I still think it's [bs]

Watch, now someone its going to tell me using more math than I care to see that my comment is [bs]

So I will put a picture to throw off the engineer type. [6]

post-11804-1381969139921_thumb.gif

Make a tight coil out of the excess wire to one speaker.... That would have more impact.

You aren't going to make a delay out of longer wire on one side or the other. An increase in length will change the load on your amp, but 18 gauge is only a bit over 6 ohms for a 1000 feet. Having one side 20 feet and the other 50 really won't be much of a problem. [;)] Elden is correct.

I guess if the wire was really tiny.......you MIGHT notice a drop.

sure there are limits. you probably won't notice that you have one front speaker 2' farther from the receiver than the other because the run is short enough that you won't have much drop anyway. but run two ceiling speakers with 18 guage wire and have one be a 50' run and the other only 20' and you're taking a chance. perhaps getting good wire from mono-price instead of the RadioShack stuff will avoid the problem but I prefer to cut both wires the length needed for the longer run just to be safe.

i've said it before, and I'll say it again:

your sonic mirroing of the temporal sine wave between each binding post
will be off by around 1 petasecond per foot. UNLESS of course, these are
platinum coated diamond copper wires, in which case the eletricity
simply won't flow at all until they are in a synchronous matched pair.