TV Deals (likely ordering this weekend)

kde

Looking for deals on the new purchase of two new tv's -- likely ordering this weekend. Looking for 60" LEDs with a top brand -- of course want 1080p (which I'm sure they all have) but don't need tons of bells and whistles. I am not set on the LED... but don't want to get into the whole Plasma vs LED debate!!! TV's will be in well lit room with natural lighting and will be mounted above the fireplace in an open floor plan living room (open to kitchen, etc). Will use it most for having a game on while doing something else or listening to directv music stations. Will buy two matching units.

Guest Teresa Wright

Hello KDE, I bought a 50inch Panasonic from B & H Photo last year for a heck of a deal. No sales tax, free shipping, etc. I checked real quick, they have a couple of LG 60inch plasma's for $1300-1400. Or, I just Googled best price and found some led's for around $1500 from Abe's of Maine. Hy ope this helped a little.

P S I was very happy dealing with B&H-They are an Auth Dealer for Panasonic.

Last time I checked that $2k sharp 70 was the base model without quattron and only 120hz. Sharp has 4 70 inch models I believe. there are 2 120hz models one with quattron and one without. Also they have 2 240 hz models as well. Costco is selling the 1st down from the top of line 70 for $2500. Its 240hz and quattron.

Bestbuy sells the 80 inch sharp as well but it's basically just like the base model 70 except for the size. BTW if you have not seen the 80 inch sharp yet.... it is just sooo much larger than the 70. I saw them side by side at best buy in CT. Not sure why they don't sell the 80 in 240hz though.

• Moderators

and only 120hz

A higher refresh rate isn't always better. Here is an article that supports that idea. I agree that a lot of it is marketing. It's like Megapixels on a camera. At a certain Megapixel, adding more doesn't give you clearer photos. It only applicable if you are going to print huge poster size images (which the vast majority never will).

It is pretty cool that they are making huge TV's. Man we have come a long way in technology. I bet that 80" would look sweet in a living room.

I Agree that at a certain point you can't notice a refreshrate difference. I've watched sports on both these sharps. The difference is obvious to me. One blurs a trown football (120hz) and one doesn't (240hz). The 65 inchi have in my bedroom blurs a bit as well. It's not a deal breaker if the price is right. But if this is going to be your HT tv I would assume you want the best picture you can afford. The sharp's, IMO, are behind other tv's in picture quality no matter which model you get.

If you do gaming on the set, I see a difference. We do have the 60" Aquos and it keeps up with even the fastest action with no issues. If you don't game then I guess it does not matter much but if you do, then the rate matters a bit more.

Our 60" is now down to like $1700 at Sams and Costco, we paid about $400 more, less than a year ago. Such is life with tech.

For our money, the Sharp had the BEST pic. OH well, that is why there is more than one brand of TV out there!

One blurs a trown football (120hz) and one doesn't (240hz).

This was the miracle of 60hz lcd and 120 hz lcd as soon as 120hz released, its amazing...or rather suspicious that 120hz is no longer good enough to not blur a football, not going to enter a debate on plasma vs led but if you havent ruled out plasma the panasonics and samsungs offer superb pq

60" http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=Panasonic+Viera+TC-P60ST30&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1286&bih=805&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8797656539787039364&sa=X&ei=KMpnT6zvIIybtwfH1YGMCQ&ved=0CKABEPMCMAM#scoring=tp

65" http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=Panasonic+Viera+TC-P65ST30&um=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1286&bih=805&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6195720812792443293&sa=X&ei=kMpnT5CLJcfqtgf49ZiZCQ&ved=0CIoBEPMCMAE#scoring=tp

gt and vt versions should be around or under 2k as well when being clearenced out

Due to space constraints -- I need a ~65" (70" is too large). I am between these models. A. Samsung PN64D550 for ~$1900 on amazon or the Panasonic P65ST30 for $1700 on Amazon.

what about a 65vt30 for 1599!! well this deals now dead but you get the idea

http://slickdeals.net/f/4118761-panasonic-tc-p65vt30-1599-Fry-s

figure I'd toss it out there for you, theres going to be some cheap gt's and vt's closing out