Fair value of a pair of Chorus 1's?

Duff

Hi, I am interested in buying a pair of Chorus 1's off of someone in my area, so it will be a local pick up, and he is asking $800 for them. He sent me some pictures and they seem to be in tredmendous condition, and he said he recently replaced the crossovers with some of Bob's. I think that $800 is a little high, and have seen countless pairs here go for $300-600. What do you guys think?

A couple of weeks ago I gave $725 for a pair of Chorus IIs with titanium tweeter diaphragms, upgraded crossovers, and some really REALLY nice granite bases and toppers. The original risers were included but they need a bit of work before I can re-install them.

$800 might be considered on the "top end" of what Chorus Is sell for but you also need to consider that there are no new speakers available for $800 that will even come close to how good Chorus speakers sound.

Were it me I'd try to negotiate the price down a bit but be prepared to pay the asking price. Yea... They're THAT good.

Here's my latest acquisition.

Posted Image

Good luck!!!

The receiver is a HK3490. It's surprisingly good considering it's VERY low ($259) cost. I can't speak to any of the HK AVRs as I've never heard one. I would assume that their A/V receivers would have generally the same sound signature.

I'm VERY pleased with the Chorus IIs. They replaced a pair of DIY Cornscalas. They're not quite as good as the Cornscalas were but real close. I like the smaller "footprint" too. The Cornscalas were pretty big.

Are the Chorus IIs my "last" speakers? HMMM... Since I'm a chronic gear changer probably not but they certainly could be in terms of my satisfaction with them.

I just looked up the price of the new crossovers on Bob's site and they are $280! Wow, didn't realize they were that much! Considering that and if they're in really good condition I would say that the price is still within reason. Especially considering (as mentioned) that to buy a new set that sounds as good will easily be double that.

I recently got a great deal (paid $550) for a very nice pair of oiled walnut Chorus II speakers. They are all original, and the seller (another forum member) also threw in a brand new pair of midrange diaphrams. Someday I'll upgrade the tweeter diaphrams & the crossovers to Crites, but for now I'm perfectly satisfied with them as the originals are still performing perfectly. I say if they are in very good shape they are definitely worth picking up. I really love mine!!