Any Recent CT125 Installs?

wlg235

Searching the forum I've mainly found most posts go back a couple of years. I'm maxing out whatever upgrades I can do with my Heresy HOL's and I wanted to hear folks experiences with recent CT125 tweeter purchases and installs. Thanks! [:)]

installed 125's within the last few months in CW's... love it. install could not have been easier... plug and play.

was it better, sure... did I hear a difference, hard to say as my old tweeters were shot.

X over is next

Maxing out is usually just a matter of the mind. If you take some time you can alwaysthink of more to do. some simple brace work can brace the woofer and the mid hor to the cabinet. Braces can be installed vertically on the back panel and 45 degree cut strapping can be installed around all the edged to stiffern and insure that the cabinet is 100% sealed. You don't have a lot of volume to give up in a Heresy so you cave to be frugal with the brace work in there. You can take a look at a thread of mine to get some other ideas you may not have considered.

I put a pair of CT125 in my Heresy (have H3 also best of the lot hands down) and I am very impressed and pleased with how they sound I highly recommend them. If I were rebuilding my Heresy I woulds build a new baffle and move the mid horn over to make room for the tweeter in a vertical position next to it. The only other big change I can think of for a Heresy would be to get a bigger better horn (and driver) and turn it into a two way. Have fun these are great little speakers. Oh a Forte woofer works great in an H3 mor motor more control more bass. Then there are Forte size reflex cabinets to get ore bass the there are........ . Best regards Moray James.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=430992

Mine went in the Khorns and center Cornwall. Rat Shack SPL meter measured up to 21KHZ

at 98 db SPL. I can hear to a little over 10KHZ. The human phychy is a wonderment. I can't hear that extra stuff but it does melt the ice cream faster.

JJK

Thanks for the ideas. I held on to my klf-20's for a while after picking up the HOL's because I was afraid that if I ever lost my sub...the Heresy's would never be able to produce the bottom end that the klf's were capable of. However...after some dealings with Velodyne later, I realized that I don't expect myself to not have a sub in my system anytime in the near future. So the klf's went and I've been listening to the Heresy's for the past week with my newer Anthem receiver instead of the Denon 3300 in the gym. They sound incredible in the livingroom. The imaging is head and shoulders above anything I ever got out of the klf's. Personally...I never really understood all the fanfare about the klf's. They were great for movies...but seemed lacking in the music department without a good sub to deliver the punch they weren't doing on their own.

The reason I'm asking about the CT125's is because I encountered a problem with a couple I just received, and they're being shipped back to Bob for testing with his equipment. I have no doubts that Bob will resolve any problems. But I was just curious about any recent experience.

Glad you are happy with where you are now. sounds to me like there is something up with your old KLF speakers They can and do make lots of punch so not sure what but some issue there as it is not standard for them to sounf lacking in the bass department. I dropped a single KLF20 woofer into a Quartet cabinet (highly braced and stiffened) adjusted the passive tuning and got some of the very best bass I have ever enjoyed, I had to turn off twin HSU subs as they were messing up the sound. I do not see a pair of Heresy plus subs as a set up from KLF20's. Not to say that you were not having issues but what you were experiencing is not the norm. I have a pair of H3 runnign with those two HSU subs now and they work very well but I would not trade them for a well tweaked set of KLF20 (with all Ti driver diaphragms). As the man says YMMV best regards Moray James.

You could be right about the klf's. But that's all in the past now. The Heresy's are teamed up with a Velodyne HGS-12 that I had them go through completely, last summer...which is probably the main reason I'm not missing the towers. Moving forward...I'm hoping the K77/CT125 swap proves to be the improvement I had anticipated from everybodies earlier postings and the replies I've gotten here. The Forte driver recommendation sounds intriguing.

• 2 weeks later...

The reason I'm asking about the CT125's is because I encountered a problem with a couple I just received, and they're being shipped back to Bob for testing with his equipment. I have no doubts that Bob will resolve any problems. But I was just curious about any recent experience.

I really need some suggestions as to what could be causing the problem I'm having with the pair of CT125's I have. When I did the intitial install of the tweeters in my Heresy HOL's I ran my Anthem Room Correction to account for the improved frequency range the CT125's. To my surprise, I found that the high end was dropping off the chart around 6000 hz. Bob suggested I send the tweeters back for testing, thinking that they weren't working at all. While I was pulling CT125's I had a K77 in one speaker and a CT125 in the other, so I decided to run some measurements for kicks and giggles. Those results are below with the K77 in the Left Front and the CT125 in the Right Front.

K77 vs CT125

When Bob got these tweeters back he found that they were working, and ran some measurements with the CT125's installed in a pair of new Cornscala's. Those results are shown here.

Bob's Measurements

I got the tweeters back yesterday. I picked up some gasketing material and longer wood screws since the speaker cabinets seemed to be losing some wood from all the openiing and closing of the rear panels. After a few hours work, I had the CT125's back in the Heresy's and ran the room correction again. Guess what?

In the above...Bob suggested I try changing the speaker leads because those were the only thing that he didn't test when he got them back. I used the speaker lead from one of the K77's...with no change in the results of the CT125. So I pulled the CT125 out of the Right Front Speaker and ran the measurements again with the K77's...

K77's Back

I REALLY wanted these CT125's to work. I have no idea why Bob would get one set of results at his place, and I'm seeing something completely different when I install them. Note that the K77 measurements are consistant before/comparing/after the CT125's are installed...so there are no changes in the ARC performance to explain what I'm getting for results. I've tried everything I can possibly think of to get these to work the same way in my speakers that Bob saw in the Cornscala's. It can't be a difference in measuring equipment, because the results follow the CT125's.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Hmm, puzzling indeed. Aside from the measurements, how do they sound, and do they do music well? Can you hear a difference between the two?

I don't think I had your problem with differences between the two 125's, but I went back to the K-77's in my system anyway, probably for reasons unique to it and to me. To me, they blended better and were more musical, for one thing.

Hmm, puzzling indeed. Aside from the measurements, how do they sound, and do they do music well? Can you hear a difference between the two?

I don't think I had your problem with differences between the two 125's, but I went back to the K-77's in my system anyway, probably for reasons unique to it and to me. To me, they blended better and were more musical, for one thing.

The difference shown isn't two 125's...it's the speaker output with a K77 in one and the other with a CT125. K77's and CT125's were night and day. But if the Heresy's with the 125's are dropping out
at 6000 hz, I wouldn't expect to be able to make any kind of
comparison. Honestly...if I saw that the CT's measured higher on ther graph than the K77's I'd keep the CT's...with the understanding that my ears just weren't able to hear the difference between the two. But there's like an 8000 hz spread between the two based on the ARC sweeps... [:S]

Exactly how I felt about the K77's and CT125's in my two pairs of Heresies, they (K77) blended better, especially with the new diagphrams.

It could be a simple as a difference in the impedance of the CT's vs K77s and a little work may need to be done on the crossover.

Bob tested in a different speaker with a different crossover so possibly changing the autoformer tap the CT is hooked up on to make it hotter would resolve it along with the resultant impedance changed response.

It could be a simple as a difference in the impedance of the CT's vs K77s and a little work may need to be done on the crossover.

Bob tested in a different speaker with a different crossover so possibly changing the autoformer tap the CT is hooked up on to make it hotter would resolve it along with the resultant impedance changed response.

That's what I was thinking...and I had hoped that Bob would have made that recommendation. But he's as much at a loss to explain this as I am. If that is the case, I would think that this issue would have come up before now, as I'm not the first to install the 125's in a pairof 30 year old Heresy's. I'm open to suggestions...but want a clear plan if I'm going to open the back of the speakers again. Direction from Bob would be my preference...but I'm hoping that I'm not the first to run into this problem, and maybe a member here has had the same experience?

My son put CT125s in his Heresy cabs, and wouldn't go back. Same with me in my LaScalas. If you want a pair of K77s, I still have mine. $50 plus shipping... [;)]

To me, they have been way smoother than the K77s.

My son put CT125s in his Heresy cabs, and wouldn't go back. Same with me in my LaScalas. If you want a pair of K77s, I still have mine. $50 plus shipping... Wink

To me, they have be way smooter than the K77s.

I may take you up on the 77's. If I'm going to stick with K77's I'd like to try and get new diaphrams for mine and rebuild them if possible first. Maybe I'm being anal about wanting to see the improvement the CT's are making, but even when I swapped out the caps in the crossovers...I was able to document the results. This is the reason why I'm so concerned to see a 10db+ drop at 6000 hz with the 125's. I think that anybody seeing that in their own speakers would have the same concern. No?

BA.jpg

Returned the CT's and Bob was good enough to refund the purchase price. I chose to eat the $37 total in shipping costs from sending these back and forth a couple of times, over keeping what I couldn't verify was getting above 6000 hz. I wouldn't have been able to put these up for sale on the board with any kind of clear conscience.

The question I have for those that have done recent buys/installs is...have you, or do you have the ability to take some measurements of the actual output? I was told that "some people say they hear a big difference...others have said that they don't hear much diffference at all" Based on my experience...I'd be curious to learn if folks are hearing what they think they're hearing?