Replaced output tubes and lost sound

youngjj

LMFAO!!!!!

Wait a minute! Your amp was built by one of those "incompetent local techs!!!" How can it possibly sound as good as everyone says it does? Can it be a mass illusion?????

Well on that note, I have three amps and someone built all three of them once upon a time!!! Imagine that!!!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

****what dean and josh said****

This is his way of helping and nobody else here comes close.

Forgive my asking Gary, but how can constantly insulting the skills and knowledge of people one doesn't know be a way of helping? I'm sure Craig does a fine job, and is meticulous in his work; but, there are countless others who are capable of doing the same thing, and in many cases even better. There's an extremely well respected gentleman who is involved with the forum and has a business involving Heritage series speakers (I'm sure I need not mention his name.) Yet he has never, to my knowledge, made any disparaging remarks about others who provide a similar service and does not insult people who provide forum advice which he doesn't quite agree with. That is the hallmark of one who truly wants to help others. It's called having manners. Would you go to a doctor who says that only he/she is competent and that all other doctors in the entire country are incompetent? Heck, I'd run in the other direction....................

Guest " "

Craig gave the most complete advise to the OP and the criticisms he leveled were accurate. What does getting nasty accomplish (except to raise Craig's blood pressure).

no...no one has issues with folks given opinions. issues concern attacking other who give opinions and then hawking the thread to continue attempt to gain acceptance of an opinion. One forum member offer to test another forum members tubes for free should not bring on attacks and characterizations by a vendor.....the forum member did not engage the services of the vendor and said forum member who offer to test the tubes for free is not taking buisness away from anyone or discrediting anyone by offering to do so.

internet users go on line to ask peer's questions becuase our culture mis trust vendors and we need to learn enough about taboo subjects to be able to understand if we are being bull shitted. Vendors who attack forum respondents to such querying and questions from internet users who post such questions only increase this level of mis trust. Basically, Vendors can not sensor or control discussion that ultimatley only help consumers understand what services they need or don't need. You certainly do not need a vendor to test tubes....there were tube testors at many drug stores during the tube era. If Craig were hanging out in Mr Gruin's drug store baggering customers who came in to test tubes .....Mr Gruin would toss him out on his proclaimed A#$.

Craig offered solid advice. Instead of saying, "Hey, that's good advice" (like Moray did) -- you two decide to poke him in the eye with a stick. I didn't see a blanket statement by Craig asserting that all other technicians are incompetent (at least not in this thread), but what is true is that we've had "competant technicians" here in the past and at least one is out of business for defrauding customers. It is also true that testing a tube and finding out whether it is good or bad is of relative small value when dealing with the reality of the condition of a 50 year old piece of equipment.

It's nice to get advice from peers, but it's better to get advice from professionals. Most of the professionals have either left the forum or don't post anymore. I wonder why.

It's nice to get advice from peers, but it's better to get advice from professionals. Most of the professionals have either left the forum or don't post anymore. I wonder why.

Because they get their weenies wacked too many times for not always engaging in constructive discourse?

-- you two decide to poke him in the eye with a stick. I didn't see a blanket statement by Craig asserting that all other technicians are incompetent (at least not in this thread), but what is true is that we've had "competant technicians" here in the past and at least one is out of business for defrauding customers. It is also true that testing a tube and finding out whether it is good or bad is of relative small value when dealing with the reality of the condition of a 50 year old piece of equipment.

No, in this discussion Craig did not assert that all other technicians are incompetent (that occurred in another thread in which he stated that he has seen the rotten work of so many "local technicians" that he can easily state that there just aren't any who are competent, other than himself.) I certainly am not trying to "poke him in the eye with a stick" (that would be too painful!) Rather, I'm trying (apparently unsuccessfully) to make the point that he isn't the only one who can do truly professional quality work on electronic equipment; and because one "competent technician" was guilty of fraud, does that make all equally culpable? I think not!!! Regarding the testing of tubes, even a lowly emissions tester can provide information of potential use when diagnosing an ailing piece of equipment (it brings to mind an amp which I worked on many years ago which performed perfectly most of the time, but in periods of extremely hot weather acted up in spite of being cooled with a fan- turned out that the powerline voltage in this person's house dropped to around 105 when air conditioning was in heavy use around the neighborhood. One of the output tubes, in response to the drop in filament voltage which accompanied the line voltage drop, had insufficient emission to maintain the needed electron flow. Easily confirmed with an emissions tester!) As to the professionals who have left the forum or no longer post, perhaps it's because they got tired of being insulted. I'm mostly "retired" from the industry, so I persist- besides, I don't get insulted. To me, these discussions are fun!!!!!

I do recall the post that you reference where Craig referred to "local technicians" I remember it because I was amazed at the vitriol spewed because he dared to say that he has seen the poor work of "local technicians." When I read it I understood it to mean that many people buy equipment presented as having been updated or recently serviced by a local tech. and that equipment ends up with him having to be repaired properly. I'm sorry if I do not find that to be a controversial or disparaging comment. He certainly did not imply that he is the only qualified tech.

Again, what Josh and Dean said.

Those of us who know Craig well understand he's a crotchety old geezer who would give you the shirt off his back. Those of us who know him well and have been on this forum a long time also understand he was giving sound advice to the OP. We've had really bad luck with some other techs here in the past. Find me a customer of Craig's who doesn't understand how lucky we are to have him here.

Fritz, The fact of the matter is you started all this shite......with your snide nasty comment when you entered this thread..like this guy was getting bad advice. Yup the same post where you offered to test the tubes.

You really are one arrogant moron and this opinion comes from one of the most arrogant morons on the planet ;) The chances of his tubes being the true cause of his problem are about zero. My diagnostic advice would of led us to knowing just what was wrong with the amp without shipping a thing. All for the cost of a few fuses...

<p>

</p><p>LMFAO!!!!!</p><p>

</p><p>Wait a minute!  Your amp was built by one of those "incompetent local techs!!!"  How can it possibly sound as good as everyone says it does?  Can it be a mass illusion????? </p>

Ya know if you took a reading comprehension course you might get a better grasp of what is being stated.....If you go back to the original thread where you flipped your lid over my "local Technician" comment. you would see that I stated "unknown" "local technicians". Meaning some dubious character without a name and nothing to lose. I have never stated there were no "good technicians" in the world. But good ones are indeed few....and I mean very few. A well established audio manufacturer is not a technician... an audio designer is a completely different animal then a technician. Some designer spawn from technicians and IMHO those are usually the best designers. Some technicians have absolutely no morals and do half *** work even though they know better. Some of them are just plain stupid and do horrible work.

You act like good trust worthy technicians are waiting in all locals and that is just not the case. Many of them do indeed do decent work but put components in place that belong in toaster ovens rather then a quality audio circuit.

The ones I really love is the profiteers on eBay advertising gear as "gone over by my technician" (unknown technician) I advise to almost never put any value in that work. The work is always minimal to get music to come out of the speaker terminals so it can be advertised as ready to roll, the parts used are the cheapest on the planet. These units just about always have issues within months of the poor customer buying them.

Another good one is Maple Shade.... the technician behind that garbage is well versed in electronics but has zero moral fiber... the advertisement for these amps is blatantly false. Fully restored and Stem to stern modified it states... what a bunch of hogwash. I've had a displeasure of truly re-restoring a number of these with it's lackluster modifications because they become unstable with hums and hisses before to awful long because they are not restored.

I suggest you go read my website write up on a C-22 rebuild and realize that the C-22 just came from the bench of a very reputable technician with a clean bill of health. I will refrain from stating the technicians name. Work like that is rampant in the industry. No 50+ year old piece of gear should receive partial rebuilding if reliable long term and good sonic performance is the goal. This gear deserves better then that!

My entire point in these statements is choose your technician very carefully.

I do recall the post that you reference where Craig referred to "local technicians" I remember it because I was amazed at the vitriol spewed because he dared to say that he has seen the poor work of "local technicians." When I read it I understood it to mean that many people buy equipment presented as having been updated or recently serviced by a local tech. and that equipment ends up with him having to be repaired properly. I'm sorry if I do not find that to be a controversial or disparaging comment. He certainly did not imply that he is the only qualified tech.

Wow thanks Josh at least someone can comprehend my writing style! I think it's pretty easy to understand...but that's just me.

I really did not want to get in this but, my hand has been forced what's right is right and should be known. Back in July of 2006 I aquired a Scott 299 intergrated amp, after a week of listening it crapped out. At that time the only person I knew of that had a reputation for doing really good work on vintage equipment was none other than??? You guessed it Craig at (NOS VALVES). So I contacted him he pretty much diagnosed the problem over the phone and told me what my options were. Long story short like many many others here and else where I sent the amp to him, there was a waiting period because of the que of work Craig had before he could get to my amp. You don't have workload like that because your lucky!!!! He must be doing something right, anyway he performed a Deluxe Rebuild and to this day that amp is PLUG AND PLAY six years later. I turn it on it comes on and plays perfectly every time, Draw your own conclusions!!!!!!!!!

Wow thanks Josh at least someone can comprehend my writing style! I think it's pretty easy to understand...but that's just me.

well I have been reading your style for how many years now!

J

Josh,

Yea we all have been here for ages! I read that you made the digital leap. Shoot me an email and give me the inside scopp on your music server gear. I'm playing around with that type of things these days. I love my Vinyl but I sure don't have the time to enjoy it.

Craig

I really did not want to get in this but, my hand has been forced what's right is right and should be known. Back in July of 2006 I aquired a Scott 299 intergrated amp, after a week of listening it crapped out. At that time the only person I knew of that had a reputation for doing really good work on vintage equipment was none other than??? You guessed it Craig at (NOS VALVES). So I contacted him he pretty much diagnosed the problem over the phone and told me what my options were. Long story short like many many others here and else where I sent the amp to him, there was a waiting period because of the que of work Craig had before he could get to my amp. You don't have workload like that because your lucky!!!! He must be doing something right, anyway he performed a Deluxe Rebuild and to this day that amp is PLUG AND PLAY six years later. I turn it on it comes on and plays perfectly every time, Draw your own conclusions!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the great tesimony. Now go knock on some wood and keep that lucky streak going [;)]

Thanks for the great tesimony. Now go knock on some wood and keep that lucky streak going Wink

It is what it is and that's all there is to it!!!

It is what it is and that's all there is to it!!!

Give me a call sometime I'd like to hear what you have to say about your Vtrac horns after living with them for a while. I'm getting ready to upgrade my mid horn this summer.