Crazy Impulse Buy

willland

I met a buddy of mine up at BB to help him make a final decision on a new TV. He decided on the 2011 Samsung UN60D7000V LED LCD Smart TV. The MSRP is $3799.99 and he got it for $2799.00 with 3D glasses(2) and a Samsung BD player. It is a sweet TV.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+60%22+Class+-+LED+-+1080p+-+240Hz+-+Smart+-+3D+-+HDTV/2685235.p?id=1218344446528&skuId=2685235

2685235 Larger Front

The part of the story that is going to get me some serious "well deserved" lecturing from Michael(Youthman) is I made an impulse buy that I "never" do. I brought home a 2011 Samsung PN59D6500 59" plasma Smart TV. The MSRP is $2199.00 but it was marked down to $1699.99 but I walked out with it for $1199.00 plus 3D glasses(2). How did I do? Michael, I got the [Y][Y] from Bridgit.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+59%22+Class+-+Plasma+-+1080p+-+600Hz+-+Smart+-+3D+-+HDTV/2254075.p?id=1218315991840&skuId=2254075

2254075 Larger Front

Bill

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya I would call that crazy! Nice tv's! I've seen the D6500 and it has a really nice picture. That's an amazing price you paid for it, you can have a hard time finding a quality 50" for cheap, let alone a 60". GG Bill, have you set it up yet? Where are the pics [:D]

Ya I would call that crazy!

Very out of character for me.

I've seen the D6500 and it has a really nice picture.

The best word to describe the picture is "liquid". I am currently watching/listening to the BD of Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City Music Hall and it looks like I could reach right into the screen and shake their hands. Needless to say I am very impressed. I was a little concerned about the inherent glare that plasmas suffer from but so far so good. Kind of reminds of a big flat CRT Sony Wega XBR television of the early 2000's with the vibrant and accurate colors that could not be beat.

That's an amazing price you paid for it, you can have a hard time finding a quality 50" for cheap, let alone a 60".

It is actually a 59 inch(not splitting hairs) floor model but who cares, my 37 inch Samsung LCD is also a floor model and it has been trouble free going on three years.

GG Bill, have you set it up yet? Where are the pics Big Smile

Only to plug and play, I have not done the Smart TV setup yet. I will have to wait for the weekend to do that. Pictures soon.

Bill

It's great to see you purchasing in lieu of liquidating. I take that as a sign that things have turned for the best.

Thanks, things are better but I still will be liquidating more stuff including my Mitsubishi 57 inch DLP which is pretty much already sold for $300.00. I told the potential buyer if the Samsung plasma meets my expectations during the 30 day return period, the Mitsu is his.

Bill

• Moderators

The part of the story that is going to get me some serious "well deserved" lecturing from Michael(Youthman) is I made an impulse buy that I "never" do.

It's your money bro. No lectures coming from me unless you didn't pay cash for it. [;)]

Michael, I got the YesYes from Bridgit.

That's a great thing. Making purchases in agreement will help keep your marriage healthy and strong.

Now where are the actual pics of this beast? I don't want to see stock photos. Cmon Bill. Get with it.

No lectures coming from me unless you didn't pay cash for it. Wink

Okay a partial lecture is due.[:$] 36 months no interest but we are shooting for 3 months.[Y]

That's a great thing. Making purchases in agreement will help keep your marriage healthy and strong.

I am not fond of the doghouse.[N]

Now where are the actual pics of this beast?

Photos this weekend if I have time.

Bill

• Moderators

Okay a partial lecture is due.Embarrassed 36 months no interest but we are shooting for 3 months.Yes

Let me know in 36 months how that worked out for ya. Everyone has good intentions of paying stuff off early....then life happens. Hope that's not the case here. [;)]

I picked up the PN51D6500 plasma demo for 450$ last month and LOVE IT ! Didnt' come with stand or remote. (there is a iphone app for samsung and is exactly like the remote! and works well when set up wirelessly through router)

Nice P/U....make sure you upgrade the firmware as there was brightness "pops" in the earlier firmwares. The latest firmware eliminates it.

Here is a link to the calibration thread I used on AVS (posts 89,90 and 93) worked very well for me.

Remember if your using 3d that you'll need to bypass your AVR with HDMI if its not 3d compatible and run optical for sound .

3d works very well on these Samsung Plasmas with SSG-3500CR glasses

Congrats on great buy !

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1324383&page=3

Let me know in 36 months how that worked out for ya. Everyone has good intentions of paying stuff off early....then life happens. Hope that's not the case here. Wink

Bro, have some faith in me. A minimum of $300.00(old TV recoupe) will be first payment.

Bill

Here is a C/P of another calibrated set I liked on my 51 inch.

C/P

Mode Movie

Peak White 35ftL

Cell Light 15

Contrast 94

Brightness 65

Sharpness 10

Color 48

Tint 50/50

Black Tone off

Dynamic off

gamma -1

RGB Only off

Flesh Tone off

Edge Enhance off

Motion Light off

xvYcc off

Color Tone warm2

Digital Noise off

mpeg Noise off

Color Space

Red_r 78

Red_g 75

Red_b 50

Green_r 100

Green_g 16

Green_b 0

Blue_r 18

Blue_g 22

Blue_b 37

Yellow_r 14

Yellow_g 29

Yellow_b 43

Cyan_r 100

Cyan_g 48

Cyan_b 36

Magenta_r 37

Magenta_g 100

Magenta_b 49

White Balance

r-offset 24

g-offset 22

b-offset 26

r-gain 21

g-gain 26

b-gain 28

10-point

r1 0

g1 1

b1 -1

r2 3

g2 2

b2 -1

r3 4

g3 3

b3 -1

r4 3

g4 3

b4 0

r5 3

g5 3

b5 1

r6 4

g6 4

b6 0

r7 3

g7 3

b7 1

r8 1

g8 3

b8 -1

r9 -2

g9 -2

b9 -6

r10 -3

g10 -2

b10 -3

That a great deal. Wait till you tryout some of the apps and watch a 3 D blueray, now you are talking home entertaiment. I just moved my router to the audio/video setup and hooked everthing into it. No firmware issues since the Samsung BD has a lot of updates.

I picked up the PN51D6500 plasma demo for 450$ last month and LOVE IT !

Thanks Ajoker2c, you are the man I am coming to when I need help with this thing.

Here is a link to the calibration thread I used on AVS (posts 89,90 and 93) worked very well for me.

Thanks I saw that the other day and was going to check it out this weekend.

Remember if your using 3d that you'll need to bypass your AVR with HDMI if its not 3d compatible and run optical for sound .

My NAD T773 receiver is non HDMI anyway and I use 5.1 analog connections and let my Oppo player handle the DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD decoding.

make sure you upgrade the firmware as there was brightness "pops" in the earlier firmwares. The latest firmware eliminates it.

Also part of the plan this weekend.

Thanks again,

Bill

I personally love plasmas and really can't stand watching anything on LCD/LED. I get way too distracted by the trails everything leaves. Plasma just looks more realistic to me and not so digital-y. If I was to buy a new TV right now, I'd probably go with Samsung too, just because they are a bit cheaper than the equivalent Panasonics. I'm just trying to wait until black friday to see what I can get then.

If you downloadtorrents,here is a link to some full films in 3d to test out while you figure out what to buy.. They are not full resolution as a blu ray disc,but very good.

http://www.sick-flix.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9

free to register for a few films

Just download and put on usb stick,insert it into tv (only problem is you wont get theater sound and will have to use tv speakers,but its only to test it out. I have a WD Live Hub and use that for films.

bill go with the plasma is more bang for your buck Big Smile

I did, my buddy is the one who spent $2799.99 for the 7000 series 60" LED LCD. I went to the BB to help him decide and ended up bringing home the 6500 series 59" plasma myself. Total impulse buy. We basically got the same SMART TV with his being the 2nd tier LED and mine being the 3rd tier plasma. His has a couple more features but not $1600.00 worth more.

Bill

nice one i did that about month ago but i spent $2200 for the 7900 serise 55' led at pc richards and also you can haggle with the sales rep at pc richards but when it comes to bestbuy alot of the time you have to do those impulse buys because you wont see those deals again